Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New dwarf planet 'The Goblin' discovered

UM-Bot

Terrific discovery!  There's still hope for Plant X I mean IX.

Honestly at this point you'd have to be pretty naeive to think there isn't either a large planet or smaller companion of the sun out there but im sure if enough of these objects are analysed it will be found eventually even if its in 50,000 years when we can see it.

Edited by Nnicolette

Interesting. I'm quite sceptical to there being a big planet out there though. I read earlier on this forum that 60000 years ago or so a red dwarf star passed so close to our sun so that it was inside the Oort cloud. I think it might have happened several times during the billions of years that the sun has existed that other stars have passed very close to the sun. They will then have modified the orbits of distant objects in the solar system.

6 hours ago, fred_mc said:

Interesting. I'm quite sceptical to there being a big planet out there though. I read earlier on this forum that 60000 years ago or so a red dwarf star passed so close to our sun so that it was inside the Oort cloud. I think it might have happened several times during the billions of years that the sun has existed that other stars have passed very close to the sun. They will then have modified the orbits of distant objects in the solar system.

They may well have modified the orbits of objects, but not in the specific way that ever increasing numbers of objects have been modified. Computer simulations repeatedly show that the most likely explanation is a planet in the outer solar system.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, fred_mc said:

I read earlier on this forum that 60000 years ago or so a red dwarf star passed so close to our sun so that it was inside the Oort cloud.

Another important point, these are Kuiper Belt objects, not Oort Cloud objects.

• Like 2

On 10/2/2018 at 1:00 PM, Seti42 said:

I hope they eventually name a newly discovered outer planet Yuggoth.

I hope we don't! Our discovery of Yuggoth will cause the Mi-Go agents on Earth to waken Cthulhu, and we all know how badly that will end.

• Like 1