Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Presidential Alert Test

susieice

At 2:18 Eastern time tomorrow afternoon, October 3, your cellphone may receive an alert from the White House and FEMA through a system to be used in cases of emergency. It's only a test but if your phone company is a participant in the system, you should get an alert on your phone.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2018/10/02/presidential-emergency-alert-test-hits-phones-wednesday-oct-3/1496914002/

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, susieice said:

At 2:18 Eastern time tomorrow afternoon, October 3, your cellphone may receive an alert from the White House and FEMA through a system to be used in cases of emergency. It's only a test but if your phone company is a participant in the system, you should get an alert on your phone.

https://www.knoxnews.com/story/news/2018/10/02/presidential-emergency-alert-test-hits-phones-wednesday-oct-3/1496914002/

If this were a fictional book, this would be a foreshadowing moment. Let's hope that literary device doesn't transfer over 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

Is this similar to the civil defense system that has already been tested in NZ. Or the system in Hawaii which recently wrongly alerted people to a missile launch?

I personally would be more worried about unintentionally induced hysteria ( like that in Hawaii ) or similar to the War of the Worlds radio play alleged incident.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Get ready for the first nude selfie from a President, sent with the caption: 'Stormy lied!' :D

Photoshopped, of course :)

• Haha 6

4 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Is this similar to the civil defense system that has already been tested in NZ. Or the system in Hawaii which recently wrongly alerted people to a missile launch?

I personally would be more worried about unintentionally induced hysteria ( like that in Hawaii ) or similar to the War of the Worlds radio play alleged incident.

Our local police dept told us through alerts that this would happen. It should also say it's just a test. After the cellphones, radio and tv will test their systems. That's done periodically. This is the first time for cells.

• Like 3

Yeah. Dang, people, don't be so paranoid.

This is simply a test of the implementation of a cellular nation-wide civilian alert in the event of significant national-security issues.

This is welcome.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, susieice said:

Our local police dept told us through alerts that this would happen. It should also say it's just a test. After the cellphones, radio and tv will test their systems. That's done periodically. This is the first time for cells.

So the same as in Hawaii? Which unfortunately was accidentally sent out as, "This is not a Test".

• Like 2

Kismit, pet your dog... all is good.

• Haha 2

It is all good.  I am just saying any issues with the system will be more likely caused by human error rather than government conspiracy. 

The NZ civil defense system does not reach all phones. The first drill we ran I only found out about when I turned up at work which is the civil defense force meet point. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kismit. This is a test of hardware implementation, not anything else, as you well know.

We need to take one step, before we take another.

This is a hardware test ONLY.

Just to make sure there can be a proper civilian emergency notification. They will learn from this test, and adjust as necessary.

The very reasons for tests.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

I'm talking about when the system goes live. And only thever idea that any issues with the system are more likely to be human error at that stage. 

I am not asserting any kind of actual hysteria from the test of the hardware. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pallidin said:

Kismit. This is a test of hardware implementation, not anything else, as you well know.

We need to take one step, before we take another.

This is a hardware test ONLY.

IIRC, the test warning in Hawaii was automated as well.  Someone just pressed the wrong button, literally.

• Like 3

Just now, and then said:

IIRC, the test warning in Hawaii was automated as well.  Someone just pressed the wrong button, literally.

Yes. Human error.  Artificial intelligence beats real stupidity every time. 

• Like 2

Stop it, already. Mistakes happen anywhere.

It's a needful implementation, period.

Let's embrace this instead of bastardizing it.

• Like 2

This test is needful to determine first hardware flaws in the system, so that those flaws can be recognized and corrected.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We need to do something! A tornado went right over my house I didn't know was coming. It was reported on local stations, but I had the TV on a cable station from another state. The bugs in the system needed to be worked out years ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

We need to do something! A tornado went right over my house I didn't know was coming. It was reported on local stations, but I had the TV on a cable station from another state. The bugs in the system needed to be worked out years ago.

Just so you know, this particular test has nothing to do with localized emergencies.

Rather, it's a test for a nation-wide emergency alert, specific not to weather, but to extreme national-security concerns.

So, in your case it's up to your State to improve notification of localized hazardous weather conditions.

This test is completely separate from localized weather issues, and has nothing at all to do with that. 

• Like 1

I know, but the whole system is flawed.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I know, but the whole system is flawed.

So, are you saying that we should abandon emergency notifications just because its occasionaly flawed?

Instead of grieviously hanging onto a flawed system, perhaps we should effort to recognize it's usefulness and effort to improve... don't you think?

Edited by pallidin
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pallidin said:

So, are you saying that we should abandon emergency notifications just because its flawed?

Instead of grieviously hanging onto a flawed system, perhaps we should effort to recognize it's usefulness and effort to improve... don't you think?

Where in the world did you come up with that from anything I said? You have a wild imagination. 

• Like 1

Looking forward to this test.

Hoping it is accompanied by some obnoxious tone.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

Lucky it wasn't @RoofGardener 's house. He'd be screwed.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2:18 and I got my alert! Confirmed it. Just a beep, beep, beep then it tells you it's a Presidential Alert and it's a test. And there goes my TV!