Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mystery ISS hole was 'deliberate sabotage'

UM-Bot

Wouldn't it be ironic if the hole was drilled for a Cabin Pressure warning light.

Edited by acute
  • Haha 3

Well, if Russia did it, they’re obviously not going to admit it. Putin is a piece of work, as is the Russian administration.

Remember that little Russian missile which downed a passenger aircraft and killed many innocents?

Will be interesting to see international response.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, surely we can rule out the astronauts ? What possible motive could THEY have to sabotage the station ? 

This is probably just another Russian move to sow mistrust, disinformation, etc. between the US, the EU, and their own people. That's been Putin's MO for a long time. If we ever find out anything, it'll just be the tip of the iceberg. Trolling, fake news, helping Trump... That's just what we (basically) know about.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

From past reports, this was done on the ground before it was launched, the hole had been plugged with 'glue'.

Yeah but nobody would expect epoxy to hold against the vacuum of space for very long.  Sounds like it's time to do some interviews by a psychologist with the people that work at the factory that manufactured the capsule.

I earlier said that it was silly to think Russia would try and frame NASA personnel for this but I must say I was wrong and now eat my words, after reading that article and the animosity between the US and Rogozin.  I have no idea how this will turn out but it would be sad to see the successful relationship between Roskosmo and NASA end over something like this.  Maybe Waspie can enlighten us further as I was unaware of any of these issues and thought it happened on the ground.

Edited by Merc14
  • Like 2

Maybe some Salisbury tourists did it. ;)

Edited by smokeycat

Nasa casts doubt on Russian theory ISS air leak was sabotage

Nasa said ruling out defects doesn’t mean ‘hole was created intentionally’ after Russian agency said it was investigating the possibility

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2018/oct/03/iss-air-leak-nasa-russia-theory-sabotage

• Thanks 1

They know when the pressure stared to fall so possibly they could check surveillance video in and around the the capsule entrance at that time.  If someone entered around that time ask them what they were up to, if no one did then nothing lost.

OK, I'm still a bit fuzzy.  Was the space craft that docked with the station Russian, American or from the EU?  I guess there aren't any drills on the space station that could make the hole or why would the Russians immediately blame someone on the ground.  I know they have to eliminate/investigate all possible sources and the ground is easier to do than sending up people to the station.  I also find it interesting that the Russians only have two people in the station right now with NASA having 3.  They way this is going, it may turn into a he said/she said situation unless the perpetrator admits doing it by accident, but somehow I don't see that happening.

1 hour ago, paperdyer said:

OK, I'm still a bit fuzzy.  Was the space craft that docked with the station Russian, American or from the EU?  I guess there aren't any drills on the space station that could make the hole or why would the Russians immediately blame someone on the ground.  I know they have to eliminate/investigate all possible sources and the ground is easier to do than sending up people to the station.  I also find it interesting that the Russians only have two people in the station right now with NASA having 3.  They way this is going, it may turn into a he said/she said situation unless the perpetrator admits doing it by accident, but somehow I don't see that happening.

It is a Russian Soyuz capsule that is, more or less, "permanently" (they do get swapped out) docked with the station to act as a lifeboat.   The section with the hole will ot reenter the atmosphere, it is jettisoned before reaching the atmosphere that matters.

Edited by Merc14

Everyone working on these ships is pulled from the very best in their field. It's an intellectual, somewhat multi-national group. I have a hard time believing any of them would/could do this as a mistake too. 

These construction hangers are under heavy surveillance . All logistics, work and inspections get carefully logged down to each bolt. I'm sure everyone who had access is being put on a list. Video is being scoured over. They narrow people down based on when it wasn't and was present until a few unusual suspects remain...:ph34r:

Why would anyone WANT to sabotage their own life vessel?

1 hour ago, Mystify said:

Why would anyone WANT to sabotage their own life vessel?

It could have happened before takeoff. I think that's at least what Russia is investigating right now.  

• 2 months later...

A Russian cosmonaut who explored a mysterious hole in a capsule docked to the International Space Station says Russian law enforcement agencies are investigating what caused the opening.

Sergei Prokopyev said Monday that investigators were looking at samples he and crewmate Oleg Kononenko collected during a Dec. 12 spacewalk. Prokopyev and two other astronauts returned to Earth last week after 197-day space station mission.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/ap/article-6527177/Russian-law-enforcement-investigate-Intl-Space-Station-hole.html

18 hours ago, seanjo said:

Russia didn't do it, a Russian employee did it.

And Russia has tried oh so hard to clear their name.

I've just heard that Russian astronauts are allowed to carry weapons...

Scuff marks on the inside - most definitely drilled from the inside.

What are the nationalities of the people onboard? This is like an Agatha Cristie murder mystery - fortunately what seems to be a foiled plot so far.

Edited by Uber Doubter
Typo.

3 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I've just heard that Russian astronauts are allowed to carry weapons...

1.) What exactly should that mean?

2.) There are guns on the ISS1 and they are accessible for all ISS crew members. The guns are part of the survival package thats been used in case of emergency landings in remote areas, to protect the astronauts from predators and for the reason of hunting.

No need for any kind of CT here.