Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hallucinations are everywhere

Still Waters

If you’ve ever felt the buzz of your phone against your thigh only to realize the sensation was entirely in your head, you’ve had a sensory perception of something that isn’t real. And that, according to the psychologist Philip Corlett, is what makes a hallucination.

To many, this definition may seem shockingly broad. Hallucinations were long considered the stuff of psychoses or drug trips, not a regular and inconsequential part of life. But Corlett operates on the idea that hallucinations exist within a hierarchy. At the highest level, according to Corlett’s collaborator Albert Powers, they would be something like hearing “whole sentences of clearly spoken speech of a being who seems quite real.” But, moving further down the line, hallucinations can be far more banal: an imagined text message, a phantom raindrop, a new parent’s mistaken sense of her child by her bedside.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2018/10/hallucinations-hearing-voices-reality-debate/571819/

• Like 2

Your brain is lying to you every second of every day through your entire life...!

23 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Your brain is lying to you every second of every day through your entire life...!

I have the best brain/ Very big.. Very good brain.

“We actually build a model in our minds of what we expect to be present.”

So, we also don't see what is present that the mind does not expect. A sort of reverse hallucination. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

So, we also don't see what is present that the mind does not expect.

As the saying goes: You can't see the forest for all the trees.

Or that old cheesy song: Sometimes the very thing you're looking for, is the one thing you can't see.

This applies to science as well. The most obvious answer is the most unacceptable.

I hallucinate too, but that's because the government slips LSD in my coffee every morning.

heck i had a waking hallucination just last night, the whole fun* "pressure on my bed" thing

*it is not actually fun