Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Scudbuster

The Bible is Repulsive

48 posts in this topic

'Walt' E. Kurtz

'Walt' E. Kurtz
7 minutes ago, Piney said:

But people screw that up too. The Rohingya are dying because a Buddhist "Possible Projection" became a "Prophecy". 

Seems like we humans like to screw things up. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Piney
2 minutes ago, Avalanche said:

As a communal organism, yes...:(

• Like 2

danydandan
1 minute ago, Avalanche said:

It's all relative, man. 

Your screwed up is someone else's normal.

I like how a thread, as andthen pointed out, started off with hate and some of us just want to communicate. Balance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Dark_Grey

Violence? Yes. Death? Of course. It was written at a time when people were stabbing each other with swords and no one understood what caused plagues. It was written in a violent and chaotic time by a semi-nomadic people. Don't judge a book by it's cover or the time period in which it was written.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

'Walt' E. Kurtz
9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It's all relative, man. 

Your screwed up is someone else's normal.

I like how a thread, as andthen pointed out, started off with hate and some of us just want to communicate. Balance.

Then maybe there is hope

• Like 1

danydandan
7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Violence? Yes. Death? Of course. It was written at a time when people were stabbing each other with swords and no one understood what caused plagues. It was written in a violent and chaotic time by a semi-nomadic people. Don't judge a book by it's cover or the time period in which it was written.

That's kinda oxymoronic isn't it?

On one hand you need to understand the time and social norms of these times to understand the book. But completely dismiss it when reading it and coming to conclusions about the message within?

Edited by danydandan

OverSword
12 hours ago, Scudbuster said:

I knew the bible was ugly, but after viewing this video, it's even worse than I thought:

Okay, I watched it.  This guy is an idiot.  The bible is history mixed with fiction.  Who doesn't know that?  Religion is about more than weather the bible is real or true, or weather there is even a God.  If it's not for you then leave it alone.  Don't waste peoples time with idiocy such as the above.

• Like 2

OverSword
39 minutes ago, Piney said:

Back on topic. I don't hate any religion. Just what people do to it and the people who do it. I know some very good Christians. 

My belief is that all religions are legitimate and true and whichever one you're in (if any) is the one you need to be in at this time for this incarnation.

• Like 3

Scudbuster
2 hours ago, and then said:

Of all the sickness, death and chaos in the world, THIS is what you seem to obsess about?  Were you abused at some point by someone who claimed they were a Christian?  It's hard to believe such venom just appeared naturally, randomly in you.  I hope you find peace from it someday. 

Oh boy, now that is just plain amusing to me. I don't "obsess" over this subject,  I probably think about it perhaps (on average) 10 minutes a day. Take last week for instance, I spent pretty much the entire week at Gettysburg National Battlefield, my focus was 100% on that piece of hallowed real estate. Was I thinking about religion? Heck no. But, back home now,  sometimes on my YouTube feed I will see little thumbnails of a religious nature - this was one of them. I watched it and was appalled to say the least. So if I can share stuff like this from time to time to get the truth out, I most certainly will......and I guess you will continue to have a problem with it. 

• Thanks 1

Guyver

I wouldn’t call the Bible repulsive, but human behavior sure can be.  Plus, there’s some pretty repulsive stuff in nature.  I do think that the idea of a loving God putting you in fire forever, where you will roast for all eternity for your sins, IS pretty repulsive though.  So, I guess I do get the point.

Kismit
22 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Oh boy, now that is just plain amusing to me. I don't "obsess" over this subject,  I probably think about it perhaps (on average) 10 minutes a day. Take last week for instance, I spent pretty much the entire week at Gettysburg National Battlefield, my focus was 100% on that piece of hallowed real estate. Was I thinking about religion? Heck no. But, back home now,  sometimes on my YouTube feed I will see little thumbnails of a religious nature - this was one of them. I watched it and was appalled to say the least. So if I can share stuff like this from time to time to get the truth out, I most certainly will......and I guess you will continue to have a problem with it. 

So which parts did you agree with and which parts don't you agree with?  It would be good to open up a productive discussion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Scudbuster
33 minutes ago, Kismit said:

So which parts did you agree with and which parts don't you agree with?  It would be good to open up a productive discussion. 

Sure, I'll comment:

Point #1 from the video: If you work on Sundays, you must be executed. 

I don't think this even merits an answer.

2. Kill anyone who doesn't believe in god.

Well I would say this is a perfect example of why the world continues to be in such a mess today.

3. If you curse your father or mother, you should be put to death.

This hardly merits a response. 

4. If you commit adultery, you should be put to death.

The punishment does not fit the crime

5, If a man lies with a man - same thing- death.

Another ridiculous penalty.

6. Rebellious teens in your house? Why, death is the answer...!

Again, no response is necessary. 

7. If things aren't perfect, why cut off your hands or your feet - if you lust, gouge your eyes out.

Absurd, ridiculous, disgusting as a remedy to problems/issues you may have.

8. Woman can't speak in church, can't teach, keep silent all the time...!

Pure sexism all the way - but i'm sure Trump would like it. 

9. Support slavery - it's good!

Yea, sure, that's the way to treat other human beings.

10. If you capture men, kill his children, rip the unborn from pregnant mothers. 

Yep, just a wonderful book, this bible. 

• Like 1

Likely Guy

As an apatheist I don't care about religion.

I see religion as a crutch.

I need my own crutches.

How dare I cast a stone?

• Like 2

Kismit
38 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:
Sure, I'll comment:

Point #1 from the video: If you work on Sundays, you must be executed. 

I don't think this even merits an answer.

2. Kill anyone who doesn't believe in god.

Well I would say this is a perfect example of why the world continues to be in such a mess today.

3. If you curse your father or mother, you should be put to death.

This hardly merits a response. 

4. If you commit adultery, you should be put to death.

The punishment does not fit the crime

5, If a man lies with a man - same thing- death.

Another ridiculous penalty.

6. Rebellious teens in your house? Why, death is the answer...!

Again, no response is necessary. 

7. If things aren't perfect, why cut off your hands or your feet - if you lust, gouge your eyes out.

Absurd, ridiculous, disgusting as a remedy to problems/issues you may have.

8. Woman can't speak in church, can't teach, keep silent all the time...!

Pure sexism all the way - but i'm sure Trump would like it. 

9. Support slavery - it's good!

Yea, sure, that's the way to treat other human beings.

10. If you capture men, kill his children, rip the unborn from pregnant mothers. 

Yep, just a wonderful book, this bible. 

I  know it is important to have the context of what is written.  I also know that not all Bible's are equal. They have variants.

Which Bible did the person creating the video use? What historical context are these passages placed in?

Do you know any Christians who follow the Bible who have gouged out thier eyes, or chopped off someone's hand? 

I am not a fan of religion, any religion,  I view them as tools of control, but some people find comfort in that control and solice in thier Bible/Quaran and these people are usually gentle. 

The Bible and other religious texts are complicated books. Mostly allegory and often edited to help enforce or change power over people.  Perhaps these entries are additions like that of the King James Bible's,"though shall not suffer a witch to live."

Do you have the historical context which associates these claims?

• Like 1

Scudbuster
41 minutes ago, Kismit said:

I  know it is important to have the context of what is written.  I also know that not all Bible's are equal. They have variants.

Which Bible did the person creating the video use? What historical context are these passages placed in?

Not a clue.

Do you know any Christians who follow the Bible who have gouged out thier eyes, or chopped off someone's hand? 

HaHa - not yet anyway....!

I am not a fan of religion, any religion,  I view them as tools of control, but some people find comfort in that control and solice in thier Bible/Quaran and these people are usually gentle. 

Right- what was that sage saying by someone? - it went something like "Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful". 

The Bible and other religious texts are complicated books. Mostly allegory and often edited to help enforce or change power over people.  Perhaps these entries are additions like that of the King James Bible's,"though shall not suffer a witch to live."

Maybe - but i think it enforces the belief that this stuff was written by men, and men only, no divine intervention ever took place. They simple were always looking to solidify their hold or influence on their region or the locals.

Do you have the historical context which associates these claims?

Nope, no idea on that. 

Kismit
26 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Then it appears that video is probably not a true scholarly look at the Bible.

To insist that the entire book is repulsive is not accurate and if the video does not properly delve into which Bible and at what stage in history these entries where put in or removed it is not so much a study but a hit piece designed to appeal to people who are not religiously tolerant.

I  do not like like religion, but I would never denegrate another human beings right to honour thier God as they see fit.

True freedom from religion has to include true freedom of religion. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

RAyMO
3 hours ago, Kismit said:

I  do not like like religion, but I would never denegrate another human beings right to honour thier God as they see fit.

"I do not like religion" an interesting choice of words. I played it over to see if my views align with that and I'm still not sure.

"as they see fit" - again at first glance yes I would side with that but then again not totally.

I believe all people have the right to practice their religion to the extent that doing so does not infringe others rights not to so do, or their right to practice a different religion. Which I think is slightly different from "as they see fit"

As to the first point I am not sure I have enough feeling about religion to either like or dislike. In my cossetted worldview I have always linked religions to a belief in a  supreme entity and thus (being atheist) am at best apathetic towards them.

Now other than Christianity, which I was brought up in and was interested in for a long time I have spent no time investigating religions. So I was interested when on these forums in a discussion about QM a member pointed out that Buddhism does not presuppose a supreme entity. But yet I had always viewed Buddhism as a religion.

I will now quietly take a little time to investigate Buddhism, I would be mildly interested in this if it professes that we can be decent human beings without the trappings of eternal reward or punishment by a deity. 

Not That I will become a follower, I suspect it would be too much like hard work me.

ETA: well that didn't take long - must be getting old I forgot about all the re-birth guff. pity.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 3

GoodReality
4 hours ago, Kismit said:

Then it appears that video is probably not a true scholarly look at the Bible.

To insist that the entire book is repulsive is not accurate and if the video does not properly delve into which Bible and at what stage in history these entries where put in or removed it is not so much a study but a hit piece designed to appeal to people who are not religiously tolerant.

True freedom from religion has to include true freedom of religion. 

If you take your argument to the fullest extent, there are societal flaws. What is the point where a religion should be limited in their freedom? 

Timothy

As an atheist who grew up in an atheist household, but went to a catholic primary school; I agree that there are good and bad messages in the Bible. 

It was obviously written for the time, not for now. 

There is hate in the Bible, but most reasonable and reasonably rational people do not subscribe to those bits. 

That’s common sense, right? 

Edit: @Piney, unrelated, but I’m pretty sure that I saw you in the supermarket here just before. What are you doing in Melbourne? :lol: 

Edited by Timothy
Edit.
  • Haha 1

RAyMO
13 minutes ago, Timothy said:

There is hate in the Bible, but most reasonable and reasonably rational people do not subscribe to those bits. 

But is the bible not meant to be the word of God?

Timothy
27 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

But is the bible not meant to be the word of God?

For those who believe in that specific God, yeah, but I’m pretty sure that they aren’t killing people after they read certain parts of it.

Saru

While this is the Spirituality vs Skepticism section, I don't think stating blankly that "insert religion/book here" is 'repulsive' is a constructive basis for a civil discussion. It would also seem to violate the following from the rules of this section:

Please always respect the beliefs of other members - the bashing of specific religions, countries, races or belief systems is strictly disallowed

Furthermore, the video in the OP contains graphic images and has had to be removed anyway, so there's little point in keeping this going.

Closed.

• Like 2