Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Mathematics Brain Teasers.

181 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Ozymandias
1 hour ago, danydandan said:

I'll keep posting anyways. Thanks for participating helped get me chemotherapy riddled brain working again.

Well, Dan, I just thought as it is your thread you might be thinking about wanting to stop due to no interest. I'm willing to continue if you are but there will be no pint either of us posing question to each other that come out of our own areas of expertise and employ advanced mathematical techniques. If we continue we should agree to keep the teasers relatively simple and always give a solution with a solution method that lurkers might like to see even if they don't feel confident to participate. I'm thinking second level school maths. 

PS - Sorry to hear that you seem to have had a major health issue. Do you mind if I ask what it was and how are you now?

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
danydandan
13 minutes ago, Ozymandias said:

Well, Dan, I just thought as it is your thread you might be thinking about wanting to stop due to no interest. I'm willing to continue if you are but there will be no pint either of us posing question to each other that come out of our own areas of expertise and employ advanced mathematical techniques. If we continue we should agree to keep the teasers relatively simple and always give a solution with a solution method that lurkers might like to see even if they don't feel confident to participate. I'm thinking second level school maths. 

PS - Sorry to hear that you seem to have had a major health issue. Do you mind if I ask what it was and how are you now?

I'll keep to a pass level Text and Tests level so. Lol.

I'm going ok now, had cancer and all the crap that comes with it. Starting back at work after Christmas so I'm doing good thankfully. In all honesty my wife bor the brunt of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozymandias
1 hour ago, danydandan said:

I'll keep to a pass level Text and Tests level so. Lol.

I'm going ok now, had cancer and all the crap that comes with it. Starting back at work after Christmas so I'm doing good thankfully. In all honesty my wife bor the brunt of it.

Good to hear that, Dan, and, yes, the spouses have a lot to carry, as do the kids. It's great what they can do with cancer these days. Although it is a frightening and life changing disease they can cure most of them if caught early. 

PS - That level seems good to me. :)

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozymandias

In a given population 57% are female; 62% are unemployed; and 44% are at least 40 years old. What is the probability that any person randomly chosen from this population will be an employed male under 40 years of age?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan

@Guyver, would you like to try and answer the above question? I remember you setting afew statistical questions for me once in another thread 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozymandias
13 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

In a given population 57% are female; 62% are unemployed; and 44% are at least 40 years old. What is the probability that any person randomly chosen from this population will be an employed male under 40 years of age?

Hint: Because some or all of these categories can exhibit in any given individual the multiplication rule applies and the probabilities for each relevant category mutiplies the other relevant categories for that individual. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.