Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ogopogo Monster Spotted in Canadian Lake

rashore

7 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

What is needed would be an extensive sonar surveillance of the lake in a similar manner to that which was conducted at Loch Ness during the 1980s. Interestingly enough, I recall reading a crypto-blog which proposes a very plausible theory for the identity of the Loch Ness Monster. That of a large 20-25ft unidentified species of salamander. This would negate the requirements of having to surface regularly for air, and would fit the description of many sightings dating back centuries.

I will post the link when I get to my lap top. This hypothetical animal could perhaps also explain other Lake Monster sightings. Including Ogopogo.

They have used sonar to investigate the lake.  They used it on all lakes in this area tp check actual depths.  Being that they are glacier carved, geologists have also wanted to see how they were formed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, glorybebe said:

They have used sonar to investigate the lake.  They used it on all lakes in this area tp check actual depths.  Being that they are glacier carved, geologists have also wanted to see how they were formed.

I seem to recall there are ancient Indian legends surrounding large serpentine creatures inhabiting the lake. Perhaps a distant memory of a species of aquatic megafauna that once existed in ages past?

4 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

I seem to recall there are ancient Indian legends surrounding large serpentine creatures inhabiting the lake. Perhaps a distant memory of a species of aquatic megafauna that once existed in ages past?

According to legend there were/are tunnels under the lake that the creature dug out.  Because of the creature that lived in the large bay on Kootenay Lake (according to legend)  there were speculations that the 2 lakes were connected.  The sightings stopped on Kootenay Lake, and a theory was thrown out that an earthquake had blocked a tunnel so the creature was stuck in Okanagan Lake.  Talking to elders and reading local legends is quite interesting.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, glorybebe said:

According to legend there were/are tunnels under the lake that the creature dug out.  Because of the creature that lived in the large bay on Kootenay Lake (according to legend)  there were speculations that the 2 lakes were connected.  The sightings stopped on Kootenay Lake, and a theory was thrown out that an earthquake had blocked a tunnel so the creature was stuck in Okanagan Lake.  Talking to elders and reading local legends is quite interesting.  

If the alleged animal is an unclassified species of giant salamander which I consider to the among the more plausible Lake Monster candidates, then that would allow a breeding population to thrive in a less productive environment foodwise. Which Lake Okanagan appears to be. Salamanders are also amphibians, which means they can take oxygen through both water and air. This could explain the limited sightings.

21 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

If the alleged animal is an unclassified species of giant salamander which I consider to the among the more plausible Lake Monster candidates, then that would allow a breeding population to thrive in a less productive environment foodwise. Which Lake Okanagan appears to be. Salamanders are also amphibians, which means they can take oxygen through both water and air. This could explain the limited sightings.

Thing is, salamanders don't live at the crushing depths that Okanagan boasts. And if it hung out near the top of the water, sightings would be a hell of a lot more frequent. Also also, salamanders aren't really known for their swimming ability. Little weeny ones are, but a GIANT giant one? Seems likely.

Certainly more likely than a prehistoric aquatic reptile, though.