Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Harlequin ladybirds swarm into UK homes

Still Waters

People across England and Wales say their homes and buildings are being swarmed by ladybirds.

Ladybird experts suggest the hot summer has boosted numbers of the invasive Harlequin species, which first arrived in the UK in 2004.

As the temperature cools, the Harlequin hibernates for the winter in buildings - including homes.

Swarms of posts have appeared on social media documenting the ladybird invasion, with little red bugs seen crawling over doors and windows in people's homes.

But its arrival has caused concern that it is displacing some native species, such as the two-spot ladybird.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-45766496

• Like 3

In America I think they're called "Ladybugs" or "Lady Beetles"

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Still Waters said:

In America I think they're called "Ladybugs" or "Lady Beetles"

Ladybugs here. I clicked on the article expecting to see a type of bird lol.

I love ladybugs. They're the cutest little things, and, as the article mentions, quite harmless.

• Like 4

They do not seem to be that numerous around here EXCEPT on the North facing side of my house :(

Every Fall I get hundreds, maybe a couple thousand, just swarming in from nowhere to the one wall and somehow getting inside into my office. They do bite, as it says and are miseries to put up with. Thankfully, the numbers have reduced over the years and last year I got maybe 500 or so is all. 

This year, I might get one of those wet vacs and get rid of the lot and hope that helps. Nature shmature.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have never known a lady bug to bite. They are aphid and mite eaters. I ordered a thousand one year as a natural way to protect my.... ahem, plants. Best harvest in years.B)

Hank

• Thanks 1

T

This is quite strange as far as I am concerned. I live in the Midwest ,"Northwest Indiana,USA" and we have had this problem every year for sometime now. It usually happens  right after the farmers bring in the hay and corn crops. Around September and October. They would swarm and gather around our home's windows, doors and soffit. Looking for a place to spend the winter.
 They would gather by the hundreds.
These were also known as "PURDUE" bugs.  As they were genetically modified specifically to help in the management of Mites and other bugs that would destroy crops. They also are known to bite people and leave marks on they skin.

But their numbers have diminished in the past few years. AND , this year they are no where to be seen as of yet.  BUT on the other hand, There seems to be a bumper crop of what looks like stink Bugs. I have noticed as many as twenty at a time on the side of my house. and they have been gathering up in groups for around the last month and a half.

Edited by eddword
corrections
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been biten by them. It hurts a little but there was no swelling or itching. I don't know why they bite but It was always when i was sweaty. Maybe it's the salt they're after.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, ladybugs are the least offensive pest ever. Not too worried, lol.
To put it in perspective, where I live when the temps start dropping we get black widows coming inside.

• Sad 1

Definitely an increase in them up here in my corner of the world..

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2018 at 9:32 AM, Not A Rockstar said:

They do not seem to be that numerous around here EXCEPT on the North facing side of my house :(

Every Fall I get hundreds, maybe a couple thousand, just swarming in from nowhere to the one wall and somehow getting inside into my office. They do bite, as it says and are miseries to put up with. Thankfully, the numbers have reduced over the years and last year I got maybe 500 or so is all. 

This year, I might get one of those wet vacs and get rid of the lot and hope that helps. Nature shmature.

What you are seeing is the Asian lady bug (beetle).  

They do bite.   They also leave a stain if you squish them.   Some say a smell too.   They will gather by the thousands and invade homes in the fall.  

Dr. John Hopkins, an extension entomologist for University of Arkansas says the multi-colored Asian Lady Beetles were brought in by the USDA in the early 1900's to eat aphids and other plant damaging insects.

They're often mistaken for lady bugs.  The Asian Lady Beetles look very similar except the imported insects have a white area behind the head with a black shape that looks like the letter "M."

Unlike your garden variety ladybug, the Asian Lady Beetles will bite and they don't like to be out in the cold.

"It likes to come into our homes and in buildings over winter in vast numbers," says Dr. Hopkins.

Dr. Hopkins say "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."  He encourages sealing up cracks and crevices before the insects arrive for the season to make sure they don't move in when the weather turns cold. 

He says if they do get inside don't squash them.  The beetles leave behind a fluid that stains.  Instead use a black light trap to capture them or you can vacuum them up and take out the bag.

https://www.kark.com/news/local-news/asian-lady-beetle-invasion/848643999

• Thanks 1

i never see bugs except for mosquitoes where i am

13 hours ago, eddword said:

T

This is quite strange as far as I am concerned. I live in the Midwest ,"Northwest Indiana,USA" and we have had this problem every year for sometime now. It usually happens  right after the farmers bring in the hay and corn crops. Around September and October. They would swarm and gather around our home's windows, doors and soffit. Looking for a place to spend the winter.
These were also known as "PURDUE" bugs.  As they were genetically modified specifically to help in the management of Mites and other bugs that would destroy crops. They also are known to bite people and leave marks on they skin.

But their numbers have diminished in the past few years. AND , this year they are no where to be seen as of yet.  BUT on the other hand, There seems to be a bumper crop of what looks like stink Bugs. I have noticed as many as twenty at a time on the side of my house. and they have been gathering up in groups for around the last month and a half.

I've never heard that.   

BTW, I'm a northern Indiana resident too.   I'm on the East side though. 

Related, I think...

STD carrying ladybirds are invading homes across Merseyside.

The foreign red bugs, called Harlequin ladybirds, have black wings and are flying in from Asia and North America on the mild autumn winds.

The species is rumoured to pass on a "dangerous" sexually-transmitted disease called Laboulbeniales fungal disease.

And dozens of people have already reported on social media seeing swarms of the foreign insects in their homes around Merseyside.

One man on social media wrote: "There are about 70 all over the front of my house."

Full monty: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/everything-you-need-know-std-15260787

"rumoured"?  Anyone know if this is true?

On 10/10/2018 at 11:47 PM, eddword said:

T

I’m in Manchester UK and they are only on the south east side of my building... so strange... there are a mix of red and black and black and red ones... but the black and red ones are all identical and I’ve never seen that 

Edited by Lexa0112
Typo
  • Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 12:23 AM, Eldorado said:

Related, I think...

STD carrying ladybirds are invading homes across Merseyside.

The foreign red bugs, called Harlequin ladybirds, have black wings and are flying in from Asia and North America on the mild autumn winds.

The species is rumoured to pass on a "dangerous" sexually-transmitted disease called Laboulbeniales fungal disease.

And dozens of people have already reported on social media seeing swarms of the foreign insects in their homes around Merseyside.

One man on social media wrote: "There are about 70 all over the front of my house."

Full monty: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/everything-you-need-know-std-15260787

"rumoured"?  Anyone know if this is true?

It’s true... I’m in Manchester ... it won’t let me post a vid of my building 

• Thanks 1

I've had them invade my home this year and the year before that. I live in the Midwest part of the United States. They were really bad this year.:(

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, chissus said:

I love LadyBugs.  They are welcome at my home.

You obviously haven't been invaded yet.