Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Therapy pets can spread MRSA

Eldorado

“Whether covered in fur, feathers or scales, animals have the potential to carry germs that make people sick,” said Casey Barton Behravesh of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Pet therapy can help people recover from a range of health problems. Past studies have shown dogs or other animals can ease anxiety and sadness, lower blood pressure and even reduce the amount of medications some patients need.

But there have been episodes of the superbug MRSA riding around on healthy-looking therapy dogs.

Full article: https://www.news10.com/news/national/therapy-dogs-can-spread-superbugs-to-kids-hospital-finds/1501801706

• Sad 1

I get it. Kids and others with illnesses have lower immune systems and are not as capable as fighting disease. But I hope they pay attention to the positives brought by interaction with these animals and their owners just make sure to wash them before they bring them into a hospital or clinical environment

• Like 3

" therapy pets can spread MRSA".

Yeah so can people lol 

When my did therapy dog work she got a bath before we went and used wips, between patients.  That was part of the rules.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

When my did therapy dog work she got a bath before we went and used wips, between patients.  That was part of the rules.  

Good for dogs and people. 

Humans are way grosser than animals.  A friends husband got a MRSA infection from his best friend who got it in jail. (Used the same bathroom). The one thing you can't know is the hygiene levels of the people around you. The tv show ER covered that when Jerry the guy who worked behind the desk was spreading infection from not washing his hands well enough or at all after he used the restroom. I'd worry less about therapy animals and more about who was the last person to touch the bathroom door handle.