Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dream interpretation desired

SpiritWriter

I dreamed I had two fish in different fish bowls. Both fish were different kinds. One was dark and the other was light, one was bigger than the other. I changed the water in the bowls, filling both bowls with hot almost boiling water. Later I worried if it had been too hot for them and decided to check their health. Both of them had died and had been thoroughly cooked. 

Looking for intuition on what this may symbolize. Thank you. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, SpiritWriter said:

I dreamed I had two fish in different fish bowls. Both fish were different kinds. One was dark and the other was light, one was bigger than the other. I changed the water in the bowls, filling both bowls with hot almost boiling water. Later I worried if it had been too hot for them and decided to check their health. Both of them had died and had been thoroughly cooked. 

Time to kick your daughter out of the house ;)

Hope you've been well.

Edited by OverSword

@SpiritWriter

Did you have any emotional reaction before or after?

During?

That's such a stand-up-and-sing big-dream set-up, two fish, light and dark, even separate bowls ... but then you cook 'em, and sure enough, they end up cooked. The End.

Sometimes I think the source of dreams has a sense of humor. Dark, of course.

9 hours ago, OverSword said:

Time to kick your daughter out of the house ;)

Hope you've been well.

She is out of the house. I am too. I moved to Massachusetts. Yes I am well. Nice to see you. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, eight bits said:

@SpiritWriter

Did you have any emotional reaction before or after?

During?

That's such a stand-up-and-sing big-dream set-up, two fish, light and dark, even separate bowls ... but then you cook 'em, and sure enough, they end up cooked. The End.

Sometimes I think the source of dreams has a sense of humor. Dark, of course.

Yeah my emotion was worry. As if something more important had died.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpiritWriter said:

Yeah my emotion was worry. As if something more important had died.

Well, the good news is that you can't really kill those fish.

I see a Jung quote in your sig. There was a saying back in the early 20th Century, that Freud's patients dreamt Freudian dreams and Jung's analysands dreamt Jungian dreams. There may be some truth to that.

Jung was really into fish symbolism (e.g. as unconscious contents, which do indeed come in both light and dark varieties). You've got a nice twist there, since the usual concern in contemplating unconscious contents is overwhelming the conscious part of the psyche, and here you are enacting some danger to the unconscious contents from their being first domesticated or "bottled up," so to speak and then contemplated.

That's not an impossible direction for interpretation, it's even a good meditation theme (maybe a great one). On the other hand, it could be a reference to some personal and timely concern, around which you've constructed a Jungian dream, because Jungian dream elements are familiar to you.

There's no way I could sort that out. You probably can, though. I'd recommend some "symbol amplification," trying it "both ways." That is, are you in some way inhibiting something unconscious by trying to observe or otherwise control it? That's one direction. Then the other direction would be what is there in your waking personal life these days to which the dream might refer, given that you have a non-naive grasp of Jungian dream elements (e.g. are you looking after someone or some thing and worried whether you're doing it right)?

10 hours ago, SpiritWriter said:

She is out of the house. I am too. I moved to Massachusetts. Yes I am well. Nice to see you. 

Well that bums me out a bit. Dream over

:wub:

21 hours ago, SpiritWriter said:

And what, you did not solve this dream? The dream book is full of options on this:

to see a fish that has died in water is a sign of deceived hope;
to see dead fish - to failure, disappointment, to see a fried carcass - to unexpected news.

On 10/8/2018 at 1:06 PM, SpiritWriter said:

I changed the water in the bowls, filling both bowls with hot almost boiling water. Later I worried if it had been too hot for them and decided to check their health. Both of them had died and had been thoroughly cooked.  

Hello,

My take on this is that you can not force an issue. We often want to resolve things so that we do not have to deal with conflicting energies. Better to let things work them self out.

I hope this insight is useful.

John

• Like 1

On 10/9/2018 at 9:51 AM, OverSword said:

Well that bums me out a bit. Dream over

:wub:

Mmm hmm

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SpiritWriter said:

Mmm hmm

No, it does.  I always knew that SW was just a few miles away.  It was comforting.  Now SW is a few thousand miles away. :huh:

On 10/10/2018 at 1:57 PM, OverSword said:

No, it does.  I always knew that SW was just a few miles away.  It was comforting.  Now SW is a few thousand miles away. :huh:

Aww... Well at least I was a few miles away for a long time. That's something. I'll be around for Christmas and Summer.