Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
The Caspian Hare

Millions of cameras vulnerable to malware

2 posts in this topic

The Caspian Hare

https://www.zdnet.com/article/over-nine-million-cameras-and-dvrs-open-to-apts-botnet-herders-and-voyeurs/

Millions of security cameras, DVRs, and NVRs contain vulnerabilities that can allow a remote attacker to take over devices with little effort, security researchers have revealed today.

All vulnerable devices have been manufactured by Hangzhou Xiongmai Technology Co., Ltd.(Xiongmai hereinafter), a Chinese company based in the city of Hangzhou.

But end users won't be able to tell that they're using a hackable device because the company doesn't sell any products with its name on them, but ships all equipment as white label products on which other companies put their logo on top.

Security researchers from EU-based SEC Consult say they've identified over 100 companies that buy and re-brand Xiongmai devices as their own.

• Thanks 2

and then

I guess it's time to treat the lens on my phone as I treat the one on my laptop.  I blind it with some tape.  We just installed a new tankless hot water heater during a renovation and the installer wanted to help me get the thing online so it could have diagnostics run remotely and I said, uh, NO.