Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Met Chief saw Westminster attack from car

The Caspian Hare

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/westminster-attack-terror-isis-khalid-masood-craig-mackey-met-police-inquests-latest-a8574676.html

The acting head of the Metropolitan Police locked himself in a car as one of his officers was murdered metres away during the Westminster attack, an inquest has heard.

Sir Craig Mackey was commissioner of Britain’s largest force at the time of the atrocity, where Khalid Masood ran down four victims with his car and stabbed PC Keith Palmer to death.

An inquest into Masood’s death heard that Sir Craig was being driven out of the Houses of Parliament when the attack started on 22 March 2017.

• Sad 1

What happened to all the brave officers of yester-years

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, MissJatti said:

What happened to all the brave officers of yester-years

He did exactly what he should have done. 

Did you read the article? He didn't have any equipment with him. If he'd run out, all that would be different is we'd have two dead officers instead. 

Just now, Setton said:

He did exactly what he should have done. 

Did you read the article? He didn't have any equipment with him. If he'd run out, all that would be different is we'd have two dead officers instead. 

he had a car, but unfortunately no balls or quick thinking ability.

Edited by aztek
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, aztek said:

he had a car,

And civilians with him. And he wasn't driving. 

What did you want him to do? Run over Massood and PC Palmer? 

Edited by Setton

Just now, Setton said:

And other unprotected people with him. And he wasn't driving. 

What did you want him to do? Run over Massood and PC Palmer? 

YES . RUN HIM OVER AND STOP THE CAR RIGHT ON TOP OF HIM

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

Thereby also killing PC Palmer... 

Great plan. 

• Confused 1

Also, he was acting commissioner. His job is to coordinate the response and contain and stop any other terrorists. Not to get himself killed for nothing. 

• Like 1

Just now, Setton said:

Thereby also killing PC Palmer... 

Great plan. 

of course watching him being stabbed to death is much better plan.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aztek said:

of course watching him being stabbed to death is much better plan.

Stabbed twice = slim chance of survival. 

Run over by his car afterwards = zero chance. 

Either way Massood dies without harming anyone else. You'd have deliberately killed a police officer for no benefit. 

Just now, Setton said:

Also, he was acting commissioner. His job is to coordinate the response and contain and stop any other terrorists. Not to get himself killed for nothing. 

this display of cowardliness and uselessness while his coworker was being killed disqualifies him as a leader, how can someone be ok to be lead by a coward like this? he is a disgrace of the uniform. but than again, it is UK values are different there.

at very least he should resign

• Like 2

1 minute ago, aztek said:

Not possible, given the physical position of the car. 

Craig McKay had no idea what was happening. For all he knew, Massood could have been part of a larger attack, possibly even targeting himself. 

I agree with @Setton. At the time he took the action of locking himself in the car, it was the right thing to do. He could see two armed officers already interceeding. What could he have done, other than got in the way ?

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

this display of cowardliness and uselessness while his coworker was being killed disqualifies him as a leader, how can someone be ok to be lead by a coward like this? he is a disgrace of the uniform. but than again, it is UK values are different there.

at very least he should resign

It is not cowardice to remember your role and complete it despite traumatic events around you. 

It's professionalism. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Setton said:

Stabbed twice = slim chance of survival. 

Run over by his car afterwards = zero chance. 

Either way Massood dies without harming anyone else. You'd have deliberately killed a police officer for no benefit. 

no you idiot, you do not run over both, just one, us police use their cars as weapons all the time, it can be done very efficiently, but i guess it takes special kinds of thinking, not available in your country

• Like 1

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Craig McKay had no idea what was happening. For all he knew, Massood could have been part of a larger attack, possibly even targeting himself. 

I agree with @Setton. At the time he took the action of locking himself in the car, it was the right thing to do. He could see two armed officers already interceeding. What could he have done, other than got in the way ?

Exactly. The worst thing people can do in a situation like this is dive in and get in the way of the professionals. 

Just now, RoofGardener said:

yes of course it required driving skill and correction of the position the car was in, simply put requires quick thinking and courage  idk how you can defend a coward.

you miss 100% of shots you do not take

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

no you idiot, you do not run over both, just one, us police use their cars as weapons all the time, it can be done very efficiently, but i guess it takes special kinds of thinking, not available in your country

Well when one is in the act of stabbing the other, it would be quite hard to hit one and not the other, don't you think? 

And lose the juvenile insults. I suggest you go and read the article as you seem to be confused on the time line and details. 

Police here also use cars when necessary,although not to run people down. I agree, your police have a way of thinking ours do not. 

That's why we don't shoot unarmed people in the street. 

• Like 1

Just now, Setton said:

Well when one is in the act of stabbing the other, it would be quite hard to hit one and not the other, don't you think? 

lol, it was hard to do, is that your argument? of course it is easy to sit in a locked car and watch your officer getting stabbed.

Just now, aztek said:

lol, it was hard to do, is that your argument? of course it is easy to sit in a locked car and watch your officer getting stabbed.

Impossible, not hard. 

There was three of them in the car.  Watching a police officer being stabbed to death.  :(

From 2007; a taxi cab driver versus two terrorists.....

The cabbie said: “I kicked him with full force right in the balls but he didn’t go down. He just kept on babbling his rubbish. “I couldn’t believe that he was still standing. I know I would have been floored by that kind of kick.”

Then he went after the driver of the vehicle. “It was obvious the driver wanted into the boot of the Jeep for something and I was worried about what it was. I thought it must be a gun.
“He was going crazy, just lashing out at everyone and babbling pish in a foreign language the whole time. “I’ve heard people say since that he was shouting ‘Allah!’ but I didn’t hear that. It just sounded like a lot of crap to me.

“I ran for the guy and punched him twice in the face with pretty good right hooks. He recalled: “He was a big guy and I’m not really a fighter, but his punches were wild and I managed to dodge them and make some good strikes myself.

“I don’t think the policeman I saw at the scene drew his baton during the whole thing. He should have given it to me – I’d have leathered those guys with it.”

Full story: https://metro.co.uk/2007/07/04/bomb-hero-describes-testicle-kick-492587/

Edited by Eldorado

11 minutes ago, aztek said:

wow, what an idiotic argument, even 1 stab can kill.

Aztek, we have this thing in the UK Police Force called "professionalism". 

Rather than getting out of the car, and getting in the way of the armed response officers, Mackey stayed where he was and evaluated the situation, realising that the situation was under control, and his presence would only confuse matters. 

Now, I appreciate that this is a SLIGHTLY different approach to American policing, wherein the officer would have leapt out of his car, and wildly shot at a bunch of innocent bystanders before accidentally shooting his own armed response unit, and being gunned down by them in turn. But hey, that's just a difference in style between our two countries :D 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, aztek said:

wow, what an idiotic argument, even 1 stab can kill.

Can. Not will. Having a car parked on top of you, after being stabbed, pretty definite. 

• Like 1