Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Time-traveling illusion' tricks the brain

UM-Bot

Interesting! The brain seems to want to match the sound with the sight. Pity they gave away the answer in spoiler fashion before getting to watch the video. That didn�t help with an unbiased experience.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Susanc241 said:

Interesting! The brain seems to want to match the sound with the sight. Pity they gave away the answer in spoiler fashion before getting to watch the video. That didn�t help with an unbiased experience.

Yes... exactly what's new here?

Associative dynamics... nothing new.

1 hour ago, Susanc241 said:

It says at the beginning that you should watch the video before reading the explanation.

So how is it a "time-travelling"  illusion ?

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Because after viewing the video, we're 50 seconds into the future!

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Sometimes when I hear a loud noise that startles me I see a flash of light or some other optical type perception, so this seems to make sense.

4 hours ago, Habitat said:

I assume they mean that your brain "goes back in time" and inserts a flash that your eyes never saw.  Our brains lie to us all the time about what we've seen and heard.  The brain tries to make sense of all the input it gets (and doesn't get) and constructs a story that fits.

I was watching for flashes and always got two... No time travel at all btw.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Legendarren said:

It says at the beginning that you should watch the video before reading the explanation.

The failed to state where the explanation was written. I assumed it would be written after the video.
They could simply have written: "Here's the explanation!" above the explanation. Knuckleheads!

Edited by sci-nerd

Stupid. All this shows is that some people hear things and make assumptions without being observant enough to look and see theres only 2 flashes. Was not illusory for me.

I think with all the viral success of prior illusions they were hard pressed to continue. I didnt read the explanation, watched, and could clearly see what was happening and guess what they expected you to think. Not very impressive. If people are falling for it this just says to me some acknowledge thier hearing over thier sight. But we all know that after enough u.m. discussions right?

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

You can't rationalize to throw things off just like that, but nice try, but tricking the brain into seeing more beeps by correlating them with the sounds is not equal to songs and events with dates after and prior, Not by a long shot. 

Now we know we can trick the brain into seeing more flashes than there are there, by convincing it that flashes and the beeps are correlated. That's like tricking your dog that you threw the ball. You are simply using the expectation against the perception. Not using the perception to alter the future outcome. This isn't time travel or manifestation, it's click bait  

What does a simple audio/visual trick have to do with time travel? Other than the name they used to describe it?  Anyways I saw about 9 or 7 flashes between the two, but that was just from my side vision I wasn't looking directly at it. I had my vision fixed at the top of the screen.

but yes this could be used to trick someone, the same way cold ice can make someone believe you are burning them with a hot iron rod.

Edited by It's Just An Opinion
  • Like 1

On 2018-10-10 at 3:00 PM, Seti42 said:

Because after viewing the video, we're 50 seconds into the future!

THE FUTURE IS NEAR!

• 7 months later...

The more we learn about the fallibility of our senses and perceptions the more doubt it throws on the reliability of eye witness testimony in court.