Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Living off grid

Servator

Anyone out there planning on retiring and living off-Grid and when I mean OFF I mean raising all your required food items including making your own SUGAR and FLOUR.  Let's hear some of your PRO'sand CON'S in regards to becoming self-sufficient and not depending on others for anything.  I've been Semi-sufficient most of my life, but in 1 1/2 years I'm out of society for good. 

Sounds like alot of work to me lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Servator said:

Anyone out there planning on retiring and living off-Grid and when I mean OFF I mean raising all your required food items including making your own SUGAR and FLOUR.  Let's hear some of your PRO'sand CON'S in regards to becoming self-sufficient and not depending on others for anything.  I've been Semi-sufficient most of my life, but in 1 1/2 years I'm out of society for good. 

I think we'll end up in a hybrid off grid life. As a kid I was exposed to true off grid living in AK and thats not really for me but as long as I can have internet good enough to stream a ball game im golden.

I know this seems kind of weird but the largest con I see with off grid living is cleanliness. Ive never once been to a homestead that wasnt on a certain level a trash heap as well. People in the bush tend to be hoarders. Its simply the realistic outcome of living a hard life far away from a place to dispose of trash and the reality that what is trash today could be repurposed tomorrow.

• Like 4

• The title was changed to Living off grid

I see your point on cleanliness, but if you visit some AMISH residence who are off Grid you will find the majority are far cleaner than those who have modern conveniences. It all depends on the character of those who are doing the living.  

• Like 2

I am anti social, but I love fast food and TV shows, so for me it's a split decision...

• Like 2

I think it's worth a try if you have the energy and stamina. Just keep something in reserve in case you decide to re-join modern society. Investing everything is off-line living may make you broke in a short time. 

I remember my uncle telling me of a friend who decided to live for a year in the wilds of Canada. In the summer he cut a huge pile of wood for the winter. An old Indian walked by and asked if that was all the wood he was going to cut. The guy looked at all the cut wood he'd clopped and said, sure. The Indian just laughed and walked away.

The guy spent half the winter in the freezing cold chopping more wood.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Servator said:

I honestly don't think it's possible to completely leave society. I'm still toying with the idea of going off grid. Mostly power, as my land has a working well, but that well is grid powered. However, I can collect rainwater. But it will need to be filtered. Grow one's on food would be a good sideline. But how will you handle any medical needs that might arise? Paying property taxes and vehicle taxes?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Servator said:

I'm 3 years so far. I live in a 2013 Wildcat camper with propane, solar and a dish.  Cleanliness is important because I don't like mice and insects in my stuff. My blue tank needs to be drained once a week but I go to a septic service or they meet me somewhere. I gather wild foods and barter but I still work as a mechanic, ranch hand and logger. I still have to pay insurance on my stuff. I still pay hospitalization because my jobs are high risk. Winters are rough because I have to use a inside gravity tank and store water. Every other season most farms have someplace I can hook up water to and dump my waste tanks.You don't need sugar. Never had it as a kid never needed it as a adult. I eat rice and don't muck with flour.  Too many things like getting into flour. 

2 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

The guy spent half the winter in the freezing cold chopping more wood.

A cord a month on a average stove if you burn at half bank. A cord a week with a furnace. That's why I like my propane.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Servator said:

I see your point on cleanliness, but if you visit some AMISH residence who are off Grid you will find the majority are far cleaner than those who have modern conveniences. It all depends on the character of those who are doing the living.  

I  sometimes work alongside with and I'm really friendly with the local Amish. One of them gave me the nickname "Piney".  They aren't completely off grid either. All of them have propane and use wood as a backup. They also use some modern stuff, buy some food and pay hospitalization. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Servator said:

Amish homes usually are cluttered with stuff.   They tend to hoard.   They also have rodent infestations. 

Very few are off the grid as you defined it.   They go to stores to buy stuff.  

Completely off the grid sounds neat, but not for me.  I'd rather just slowly increase the gap.   Go more solar.   Grow more in the garden.   Stuff like that.   I like the internet too much to give it up.  

I guess the AMISH are much like everyone else, some neat and some not so clean.  The ones in the area which I reside and very neat and some do go to stores for some items, but if need be they don't need anything from what I have observed. I do buy items form them during the year such as Molasses, Honey and in the fall various staples such as potatoes and sweet corn ( Cheaper to buy from them than make myself). I know it depends on what part of the country they live and their specific beliefs if  they have ELCTRIC or not.

6 minutes ago, Servator said:

I guess the AMISH are much like everyone else, some neat and some not so clean.  The ones in the area which I reside and very neat and some do go to stores for some items, but if need be they don't need anything from what I have observed. I do buy items form them during the year such as Molasses, Honey and in the fall various staples such as potatoes and sweet corn ( Cheaper to buy from them than make myself). I know it depends on what part of the country they live and their specific beliefs if  they have ELCTRIC or not.

Most don't have electric, but will eat in restaurants that use electricity.   They will keep a freezer at a neighbors house and pay them for the electricity.   Just not on their property.   They will ride3 in cars but will not own one.  Well, they may own one, but they cannot have it on their property.   They use power tools in their everyday jobs.   Not on their property of course. 

I've always referred to the Amish as the loophole lifestyle.  

Loophole Lifestyle does sound about right.  I still applaud their work ethic and lifestyle. We go to a local AMISH community 2 times a year for a Auction/Dinner to support their school. They do have good food and You got to admit their children are physically fit in comparison to those you see coming out of the doors of modern schools. So you got to say their still doing something right.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/11/2018 at 2:10 PM, Servator said:

Loophole Lifestyle does sound about right.  I still applaud their work ethic and lifestyle. We go to a local AMISH community 2 times a year for a Auction/Dinner to support their school. They do have good food and You got to admit their children are physically fit in comparison to those you see coming out of the doors of modern schools. So you got to say their still doing something right.

They are certainly in good shape.    Not sure how their cholesterol and blood pressure typically fair, but you rarely see a fat amish person.