Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

1500-yr-old Byzantine church found in Turkey

The Caspian Hare

http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/byzantine-church-found-in-turkeys-northwest-137687

Excavation works in the Sinanköy ancient settlement in the northwestern province of Edirne have unearthed a 1,500-year-old Byzantine church

Trakya University’s history of art department and the Edirne Museum have been collaborating in the excavations that have been ongoing in the archaeological field in one of the oldest settlements in Thrace, Lalapaşa, which dates back 3,000 years. 

Engin Beksaç, the head of the department, is heading the excavation team. 

Beksaç said they unearthed the remnants of a 1500-year-old church during the excavations and it has the features of the Byzantine civilization, adding that Sinanköy was one of the oldest settlements in the region. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

How long before it is converted into a Mosque ? 

...Turkey is a secular state. Is casual racism okay where you live?

--Jaylemurph

9 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

Oh REALLY ? 

I mean.. do you actually believe that ? 

How about the  Hagia Sophia , and all the other former-christian churches in Turkey ? 

Wakey wakey. 

There actually have been calls to do so, though the Turkish high court just voted last month against turning it back into a mosque.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Oh REALLY ? 

I mean.. do you actually believe that ? 

How about the  Hagia Sophia , and all the other former-christian churches in Turkey ? 

Wakey wakey. 

Any more breaking news from the 1450s you'd like to share?

As I recall, all Jews were officially banned in your country from the 13th to the 17th Centuries. Are you still nationally, government-backed anti-Semites in the 21rst Century, or maybe have things changed there, too, since the Middle Ages?

--Jaylemurph

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

39 minutes ago, jaylemurph said:

As I recall, all Jews were officially banned in your country from the 13th to the 17th Centuries. Are you still nationally, government-backed anti-Semites in the 21rst Century, or maybe have things changed there, too, since the Middle Ages?

--Jaylemurph

You are uninformed.

Link

Edited by OverSword

25 minutes ago, OverSword said:

You are uninformed.

Link

A) The country's leader (esp. Erdogan, who is despised by the people and holding office extra-legally) does not represent the entire country and populace, any more than Donald Trump and his administration reflect the entire country and populace of the USA.

B) The top link you provide is from Fox News, which is hardly considered an unbaised, respected news source for anything. The second link specifically calls Erdogan a power-grabbing by a "brutal dictator" -- hardly the actions of (again) a whole country and its people.

--Jaylemurph

1 hour ago, jaylemurph said:

A) The country's leader (esp. Erdogan, who is despised by the people and holding office extra-legally) does not represent the entire country and populace, any more than Donald Trump and his administration reflect the entire country and populace of the USA.

B) The top link you provide is from Fox News, which is hardly considered an unbaised, respected news source for anything. The second link specifically calls Erdogan a power-grabbing by a "brutal dictator" -- hardly the actions of (again) a whole country and its people.

--Jaylemurph

No, the link I provide is from Google.  You can't downplay the fact that you were mistaken by reciting the "but it's fox news" mantra.  As you have seen there are multiple articles from multiple sources.  Also it proves that RoofGardener's post was not racist, it was a pretty funny observation.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, OverSword said:

No, the link I provide is from Google.  You can't downplay the fact that you were mistaken by reciting the "but it's fox news" mantra.  As you have seen there are multiple articles from multiple sources.  Also it proves that RoofGardener's post was not racist, it was a pretty funny observation.

No, it doesn't stop RG's post from being racist. In any way.

I concede I might have been wrong specifically about Erdogan, but I still maintain that Turks are an incredibly generous, hospitable, warm-hearted and loving people and not some sort of church-stealing, Christian-hating characters out of a medieval cycle play. I'm lucky enough to have several Turkish friends, and you won't be able to convince me to defy my own understanding and experiences and walk away think things like what RG said. Or calling bull**** on people who do. I wish either one of you had the cojones to say what you /really/ mean -- that Muslims are church-stealing, Christian-hating villains. I expect you're just smart enough to realize you can't get away with saying something that blatant and that blatantly racist, even if the most recent cultural norms are beginning to re-permit that sort of thing.

--Jaylemurph

Jaylemurph, a few points. 

You call me racist. Oh really ? What "Race" is Christianity ? Or Islam ? 

As for "church stealing" .. well.. as OverSword has already pointed out, that is a 'fact on the ground'. Here is one link among hundreds. http://europeanpost.co/turkey-sizes-50-christian-churches-and-monasteries-and-declared-them-as-state-property/

Erdogan might be one man, and not representative of the mass of Turks, but he IS in charge of the Directorate of Religious Affairs. My comment right back at the beginning of this thread was to suggest that the newly discovered Byzantine church is likely to be suppressed by the aforementioned Directorate in order to further its policy of marginalisation of non-Islamic cultures. 

It would not surprise me to hear that funding is reduced to the Trakya University’s history of art department in order to prevent further investigation (and uncovering) of the church. We shall see. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

Correction... your still stuck in the 90’s. Turkey was a secular state. Now it’s Islamic with roots in the Islamic butchery in Syria, Palestine, Libya, Sudan and Iraq. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

--Jaylemurph

Since you’re completely ignorant of modern history I recommend to pick up a book or switch on the telly to educate yourself. :P

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jaylemurph said:

....... Are you still nationally, government-backed anti-Semites in the 21rst Century,..... ?

--Jaylemurph

Only if Jeremy Corbyn gets into power ! :P 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

What "Race" is Christianity ? Or Islam ?

Beat me to it.

Maybe what everybody here needs is a good stiff drink ...

~

Mar 31, 2014 - Churches In England Are Being Converted To Bars [PHOTOS] ... Bar at O'Neills pub, pictured in a former Presbyterian church in Muswell Hill, north ..... Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our; Terms of ...

~

8 hours ago, Captain Risky said:

Since you’re completely ignorant of modern history I recommend to pick up a book or switch on the telly to educate yourself. :P

Really, Risky?

Really?

You telling anyone else to educate themselves about history? You have a lot less self-understanding than I even thought.

--Jaylemurph

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

Maybe what everybody here needs is a good stiff drink ...

That would be our Episcopalians. (A.k.a. the Whiskypalians)

As the saying goes, where there are four Episcopalians, there will be a fifth.