Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ad banned for using a model that is too thin

Myles

So do they do the same for overweight people in ads over there?

The Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) has banned three Nasty Gal television ads for using a model that appeared "unhealthily underweight".

The ASA received 22 complaints from viewers, who challenged whether the ads were "socially irresponsible".

The online fashion retailer said the model was a UK size 8, with a body mass index (BMI) of 18.8, within the healthy weight range.

The ASA said the model's poses drew attention to her "prominent" ribcage.

"While the female model in the ads generally appeared to be in proportion, there were specific scenes which, because of her poses, drew attention to her slimness," said the ASA in its ruling.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-45808500

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Myles said:

"... one of the world's leading agencies, whose key priority is the health of their models"

Yeah, right.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, acute said:

Yeah, right.

Yeah, they probably should have said that they are concerned with the health of their models.    "
Key priority" is laying it on a little thick.

• Like 3

I have an easy solution to the epidemic of too-thin models.  If a model cannot run an 8 minute mile then they shouldn't qualify for magazine covers.  If this happens to put a damper on any others that might not be what people consider thin, well that's just a coincidence.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

As someone who has been overweight at points in my life, I'll say this... IF I WERE EVER FAT SHAMED, I WOULD'VE ****ING DESERVED IT. Obesity kills, it's the main catalyst for any number of metabolic syndromes, including diabetes, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and myriad other ailments. If you remain obese, you will die young with few exceptions.

A skinny model is still healthier than a fat one.   It's crazy that we are allowed to "skinny shame" but not "fat shame".     I don't mean to publically make fun of fat people.   That is rude and uncalled for.   However when a woman posts a pic of herself wearing almost nothing and she is over 250 lbs, I have no issue posting about it. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Myles said:

This is OK though.

What a messed up world. 

image.png.fb71f2b5eecbd7fd982370fdc4d78fd3.png

A very small percentage of people think that's OK. Even less will find it OK when healthcare is stretched to the max accommodating the poor health of millions of obese people in the coming years. The cost to society will be astronomical.

Forbes - The Financial Cost of Obesity

TheGuardian - Obesity a Bigger Cost for Britain than War and Terror

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Myles said:

This is OK though.

What a messed up world. 

ROFL. In Firefox, when I hover my mouse over that image, a message pops up saying.. "Enlarge image". 

I think not ! 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, Myles said:

A skinny model is still healthier than a fat one.   It's crazy that we are allowed to "skinny shame" but not "fat shame".     I don't mean to publically make fun of fat people.   That is rude and uncalled for.   However when a woman posts a pic of herself wearing almost nothing and she is over 250 lbs, I have no issue posting about it. 

This is a generalization and if you think about it you'll agree.  Anorexia nervosa and bulimia kill thousands of young people in America every year, mostly girls and young women. 

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/eating-disorders/anorexia-nervosa/news/20110711/deadliest-psychiatric-disorder-anorexia

Obesity and its complications kill far more, yes, but it is the irrational fear of being fat and the dread of what that would mean in their life that drives this disease.  It isn't about "skinny" shaming, it's about saving young lives that are viewing these fantasy images and believing they MUST look like this also or they are worthless as people.  I happen to agree that the image of the young obese woman isn't the norm but I do admire her courage and sense of self-worth to be willing to put herself out there for the abuse she KNEW would come her way.  That takes courage.  Fat people are the last acceptable group to be publicly shamed for their appearance. Think about it.  The same person who would make a cutting comment about a fat stranger in a public place would be much more reticent to make a similar kind of derisive comment about a normal sized person's appearance.   It's a personal choice whether to do it and many factors come into it but I'd say most people feel comfortable with making comments to strangers about their weight - they want to "help".  The other extreme is found in many school-age kids who have zero restraint and are vicious to the point of bullying just because someone is fat.  I grew up with that and the experience made me a much more compassionate person as an adult.   Those who are disgusted when they see a fat person, especially a morbidly obese individual, have a choice to make.  The choice they make says far more about THEM than the fat person.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

A very small percentage of people think that's OK. Even less will find it OK when healthcare is stretched to the max accommodating the poor health of millions of obese people in the coming years. The cost to society will be astronomical.

Forbes - The Financial Cost of Obesity

TheGuardian - Obesity a Bigger Cost for Britain than War and Terror

It's going to be okay.  By the time that wave hits, the Boomers will have sucked the system dry and be dying quietly in their millions from lack of good health care.  I'm serious about that, BTW.  The current system, the whole paradigm, is unsupportable and headed for collapse.  I think we may actually have to try something innovative and less based on a monetary incentive alone.  I'd reinstitute national conscription for 18 - 25-year-olds.  They could have their choice of the military or public health service.  Most would opt for a couple of years in the military and those who went into the caring services might actually do so because they care.  Those who use it as a dodge could be rerouted into the military.  If we don't find a way to scale up the provision of quality services, a lot of people are going to die quietly, in misery.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

As someone who has been overweight at points in my life, I'll say this... IF I WERE EVER FAT SHAMED, I WOULD'VE ****ING DESERVED IT. 

Generally, I can see where you're coming from but there should always be the caveat that not all overweight people are in that condition by choice. 

People are strange.

I mean, that could basically go on any thread on this forum... :lol:

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

ROFL. In Firefox, when I hover my mouse over that image, a message pops up saying.. "Enlarge image". 

I think not ! 

I laughed way too much at this. 

Am I a bad person? 

1 hour ago, and then said:

This is a generalization and if you think about it you'll agree.  Anorexia nervosa and bulimia kill thousands of young people in America every year, mostly girls and young women. 

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/eating-disorders/anorexia-nervosa/news/20110711/deadliest-psychiatric-disorder-anorexia

Obesity and its complications kill far more, yes, but it is the irrational fear of being fat and the dread of what that would mean in their life that drives this disease.  It isn't about "skinny" shaming, it's about saving young lives that are viewing these fantasy images and believing they MUST look like this also or they are worthless as people.  I happen to agree that the image of the young obese woman isn't the norm but I do admire her courage and sense of self-worth to be willing to put herself out there for the abuse she KNEW would come her way.  That takes courage.  Fat people are the last acceptable group to be publicly shamed for their appearance. Think about it.  The same person who would make a cutting comment about a fat stranger in a public place would be much more reticent to make a similar kind of derisive comment about a normal sized person's appearance.   It's a personal choice whether to do it and many factors come into it but I'd say most people feel comfortable with making comments to strangers about their weight - they want to "help".  The other extreme is found in many school-age kids who have zero restraint and are vicious to the point of bullying just because someone is fat.  I grew up with that and the experience made me a much more compassionate person as an adult.   Those who are disgusted when they see a fat person, especially a morbidly obese individual, have a choice to make.  The choice they make says far more about THEM than the fat person.  

And then, you're making sense. 

Please go and sober up :P

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Setton said:

I laughed way too much at this. Am I a bad person? 

Nooo... no, not at all

WQRsOYq7By-6.png

Well.. perhaps a little bit ? 

• Haha 1

Too skinny and too fat are terrible terms for people to focus on. My Mother In Law has what I would consider an unhealthy body weight fixation. She once congratulated her allready very thin daughter for not eating for 3 days and thinks that taking laxative pills is a good way to lose weight. 

We should focus on healthy,  strong and mentally tough. One of my favorite models Jess Quinn is a fantastic role model for anyone.  She lost a leg to Cancer at 9 and does not let it hold her back.  Check her out she is pretty awesome. 

https://goo.gl/images/Jjpc9a

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I think not ! 

It's the same in 'Chrome' icon_giggle.gif

2 hours ago, and then said:

I agree with some of this, but not all.    The model in the ad was 5'8" and 134 lbs.    To not allow the add to be played because of her being too skinny is asinine.  

To the bolded part - Anyone who publicly says those type of things to anyone is not a good person.   

However, there seems to be a rising movement for us to be forced to accept obesity.   Obese women dressing very scantly clad and posting pics for all to see.   A morbidly obese woman who was on the cover of a health magazine proclaiming she is healthy.  That stuff annoys the heck out of me.   I don't want kids (especially my own) to grow up thinking it is normal and OK to be overweight.   Mind you, I do not want them made fun of for it.   I want them to want to lose weight and get healthy.   Too often acceptance and giving up go hand in hand.  

5 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

I think not ! 

How is that even possible? Your computer screen doesn't have enough resolution nor does anyone's bandwidth have enough width.

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Kismit said:

Too skinny and too fat are terrible terms for people to focus on. My Mother In Law has what I would consider an unhealthy body weight fixation. She once congratulated her allready very thin daughter for not eating for 3 days and thinks that taking laxative pills is a good way to lose weight. 

My mother in law is the same way. She has horrible eating habits but because it keeps her thin, that's all that matters to her. Diet coke and 2 crackers for breakfast every day. She can do what she wants but I don't appreciate her giving my wife diet advice when she's clearly not qualified to give any one advice. I think it's partly a generational thing.

We should focus on healthy,  strong and mentally tough. One of my favorite models Jess Quinn is a fantastic role model for anyone.  She lost a leg to Cancer at 9 and does not let it hold her back.  Check her out she is pretty awesome. 

https://goo.gl/images/Jjpc9a

That's beautiful. I don't think featuring normal people would sell a lot of magazines but I like where her head is at

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Myles said:

This is OK though.

What a messed up world. 

There is a couple of ads featuring the larger women....yet we have programmes about obesity and health,  while ads about being well overweight is ok and you should be proud?

I find the ads with the really large women are just as bad as those with the really skinny models..both are equally unhealthy and should not be promoted.

Maybe we can have some overweight male models...i see they are missing. The guys in the Jacamo ads are not overweight.

Here is the ad for jacamo:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_hmHH1sJfTPuEkvLmGvL

1 plump guy at the end and note what is missing when the shorts come out:.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG41I_CZdz3JAmMdmjFgR

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

My mother in law is the same way. She has horrible eating habits but because it keeps her thin, that's all that matters to her. Diet coke and 2 crackers for breakfast every day. She can do what she wants but I don't appreciate her giving my wife diet advice when she's clearly not qualified to give any one advice. I think it's partly a generational thing.

That's beautiful. I don't think featuring normal people would sell a lot of magazines but I like where her head is at

It is amazing how much more product a store can sell when people can see it on someone who represents thier shape and style. A lot of women do not shop because clothes are not designed for everyone but for a market image. It is silly. These women tend to end up looking like bag ladies in brown or biege because they almost fear the feelings of ugly they get trying on retail store clothes.

My MIL is two apples and weetbix for the day. And wonders why she gets heart palpitations,  can't sleep and can't remember anything. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

There is a couple of ads featuring the larger women....yet we have programmes about obesity and health,  while ads about being well overweight is ok and you should be proud?

I find the ads with the really large women are just as bad as those with the really skinny models..both are equally unhealthy and should not be promoted.

Maybe we can have some overweight male models...i see they are missing. The guys in the Jacamo ads are not overweight.

Here is the ad for jacamo:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_hmHH1sJfTPuEkvLmGvL

1 plump guy at the end and note what is missing when the shorts come out:.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRG41I_CZdz3JAmMdmjFgR

That's why healthy models should be used. But male models are rarely anorexic.  Healthy body image should be about health. 

As a teenager I was not fat but I had a big bottom and thighs, compared to the skinny girls.  I was in my 30's by the time the term ghetto booty became a thing. Or when I first saw some beautiful African dancers looking healthy. Some girls are set up to feel like failures from a young age because people focus on the wrong parts of image.

It should always be about Health.

9 minutes ago, Kismit said:

My MIL is two apples and weetbix for the day. And wonders why she gets heart palpitations,  can't sleep and can't remember anything. 

Yeah lol my MIL can't remember squat and constantly has health issues. I'm not a Doctor but...

• Haha 1