Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Irish Revolutionary and Indian Chief.

7 posts in this topic

danydandan

Just thought I'd share some interesting history.

In 1919, Eamon de Valera left behind the early stages of the War of Independence and departed Ireland for the United States. His aim was to secure American recognition of an Irish Republic and to raise funds from the Irish-American community. As a propaganda trip, his efforts proved successful and he raised a significant amount of money for the Irish cause. However, he did not receive recognition from President Woodrow Wilson, who viewed the Irish question as a matter for Anglo-Irish relations.

During his tour, de Valera visited the Chippewa Reservation Reserve in Wisconsin on 18 October 1919.  He was made honorary chief of a Chippewa tribe of Indians.  He was pictured below wearing Native American ceremonial headdress which he kept and handed down to his son Terry.

On the 18 of October 1919 he was adopted into this , a rite witnessed by close to 3000 people on the day. This rite was overseen by Chief Billy Boy and Joe Kingsfisher.

The following is the exchange between the two people's at the time. (I cannot find the original article regarding this so I copied from a book I have here at home on December Valera.)

Kingsfisher presented De Valera with some gifts, and said.

‘I wish I were able to give you the prettiest blossom of the fairest flower on earth, for you come to us as a representative of one oppressed nation to another’.

After the ceremony was completed, De Valera addressed the onlookers and the Chief in Gaelic, but reverted to English so all could understand.

I speak to you in Gaelic because I want to show you that though I am white I am not of the English race. We, like you, are a people who have suffered and I feel for you with a sympathy that comes only from one who can understand as we Irishmen can.

‘You say you are not free. Neither are we free and I sympathise with you because we are making a similar fight. As a boy I read and understood of your slavery and longed to become one of you.’

Mr De Valera then told the red men how Ireland had been oppressed by England for 750 years.

‘I call upon you, the truest of all Americans,’ he said, ‘to help us win our struggle for freedom.’

The Indians listened to his impassioned address with owllike gravity, but when Ira Isham, the tribe interpreter, translated Mr De Valera’s words into Chippewa they cheered him wildly.

@Piney have heard of this? I assume it's a great honour to have such a ceremony for a white man especially one born in the USA at the time. Also do these types of ceremonies happen often. Do you also think the similarities of our history helped build a bridge of understanding between Irish and Native Americans? Also I hope he wasn't there to get donations of these people, for the Irish cause.

Edited by danydandan

Piney
16 minutes ago, danydandan said:

@Piney have heard of this? I assume it's a great honour to have such a ceremony for a white man especially one born in the USA at the time. Also do these types of ceremonies happen often. Do you also think the similarities of our history helped build a bridge of understanding between Irish and Native Americans? Also I hope he wasn't there to get donations of these people, for the Irish cause.

That was a ceremony making him a ceremonial leader of his own people ( the Irish). It hasn't happened other than at the time, that I know of.

Here's Ira's grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/109983454/ira-o-isham

• Like 1

danydandan
12 minutes ago, Piney said:

That was a ceremony making him a ceremonial leader of his own people ( the Irish). It hasn't happened other than at the time, that I know of.

Here's Ira's grave

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/109983454/ira-o-isham

Ohhh ok. So it was not a ceremony making him an honorary chief of the Chippewa? I thought it was, but upon reflection your information makes more sense.

That Ira guy seems like a very cool and interesting character.

Piney
2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Ohhh ok. So it was not a ceremony making him an honorary chief of the Chippewa? I thought it was, but upon reflection your information makes more sense.

That Ira guy seems like a very cool and interesting character.

They were acknowledging and recognizing him as a leader of the Irish people. It's actually the greatest honor. 

• Like 3

Michelle
2 minutes ago, Piney said:

They were acknowledging and recognizing him as a leader of the Irish people. It's actually the greatest honor. 

Without starting another topic or expecting you to speak for all...do you have you an opinion on John Ross?

Piney
1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Without starting another topic or expecting you to speak for all...do you have you an opinion on John Ross?

Google Cherokee vs. Delaware Indians. :yes:

The CNO has no blood quantum, they dis-enrolled their Freeman ( former Cherokee slave descendants) who have more Indian blood than they do, they have their own branch of the KKK, Chad Smith is a flaming ass and my father called them "Redneck white trash with Indian endowments". 

Did that answer your question? :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

danydandan
9 hours ago, Piney said:

Google Cherokee vs. Delaware Indians. :yes:

The CNO has no blood quantum, they dis-enrolled their Freeman ( former Cherokee slave descendants) who have more Indian blood than they do, they have their own branch of the KKK, Chad Smith is a flaming ass and my father called them "Redneck white trash with Indian endowments". 

Did that answer your question? :lol:

I read that as Jim Ross, you know the guy from WWE, I was bloody shocked that Good Ole JR was like that.

Had to re read.

• Haha 1