Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Where is Jamal Khashoggi?

Kismit

A Washington Post journalist walks into a Saudi Arabian consulate in Turkey and has not been seen since.

Where is he?

Link

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

I have been wondering why the forum is quiet on this issue. If it was the Iranian or Chinese or American or English consulate would it have been so quiet?

I don't like Erdoğan and his form of government, but that said there does seem to be, based on what has come out from Turkey, a prima facie case for the SA government to answer.

The length of time to get that response and indeed the relative lack of clamour from western governments leads me to contemplate that time is been taken and given  to build a smoke screen.

ETA Though I am referring to Khashoggi

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I cant believe anyone could think the Saudi Government wasn't involved in the actual murder of a journalist in this instance.

If someone walks into a building, never leaves that building, and is never seen again. Foul play has taken place inside that building.

And it is the Consulate.

I  think this is possibly the most outrageous story in the news at the moment. I was surprised it had not been covered yet either. 

• Like 7

I'm wondering if he was related to that Saudi arms dealer Adnan Khashoggi.

Maybe. If you look up some of his talks. It might give a little indication as to why a Government might want him silenced. 

You would think he would know that if he entered a Saudi Embassy, he would be on Saudi soil and subject to Saudi Law and judgement. What madness drove him there?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

You would think he would know that if he entered a Saudi Embassy, he would be on Saudi soil and subject to Saudi Law and judgement. What madness drove him there?

He needed paperwork to marry his fiancé and the Saudi Government would not give it to him unless he collected it from the Consulate.  Perhaps he felt safer doing that in Turkey.

What Saudi Arabian laws did he break?

Edited to add this ~ Link

22 minutes ago, Kismit said:

He needed paperwork to marry his fiancé and the Saudi Government would not give it to him unless he collected it from the Consulate.  Perhaps he felt safer doing that in Turkey.

What Saudi Arabian laws did he break?

Edited to add this ~ Link

Whatever the Monarchy decided. I'm sorry, but he knew exactly what he was dealing with. They have consistently dealt savagely with anyone threatening their rule. For some reason, he must have thought himself somehow immune.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Image result for saudi flag

The sword tells a story, perhaps

35 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

Whatever the Monarchy decided. I'm sorry, but he knew exactly what he was dealing with. They have consistently dealt savagely with anyone threatening their rule. For some reason, he must have thought himself somehow immune.

I don't think he felt immune. After all he left his fiancé with his phone outside.

The Saudi Arabian government is trying to market itself as being more in line with democratic nations. So as to increase its share of global market trade. Jamal spoke out about the danger to the world non-democratic nations posed. That was his only crime, as far as I can see.

It shows Saudi Arabia are not as in line with Western Society as they are trying to portray.

He knew he was in Danger, but I guess he didn't realize how much.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Hammerclaw said:

They have consistently dealt savagely with anyone threatening their rule.

Surely more reason why this should be investigated and condemned by all sane thinking players. If it was another consulate our current world powers wouldn't be too slow at expelling diplomats or imposing sanctions, or freezing bank accounts. Should SA be held to a different lower standard?

• Like 4

Just now, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Seriously .... wood chipper.

Turkey says they have video of the murder.  I also heard conjecture that 15 guys arrived at the embassy around the same time he did and later left.  They are saying they think he "left" in diplomatic pouches... if so, that's just NASTY  :no:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Bone saw, apparently. It is reported that such was among the equipment brought in by the two mystery teams. And suitcases, lots of suitcases.

2 hours ago, Hammerclaw said:

my understanding is that he was very critical of the crown prince and i guess working for the Washington Post afforded him some protection. he was wrong. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RAyMO said:

Surely more reason why this should be investigated and condemned by all sane thinking players. If it was another consulate our current world powers wouldn't be too slow at expelling diplomats or imposing sanctions, or freezing bank accounts. Should SA be held to a different lower standard?

when you're the biggest importer of U.S. weapons and the biggest exporter of oil, Saudi Arabia is easily forgiven.  

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

I can imagine the damage control going on behind the scenes, to ease this atrocity out of the headlines. It's that kind of world, folks.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I can imagine the damage control going on behind the scenes, to ease this atrocity out of the headlines. It's that kind of world, folks.

I have no doubt you are right, I don't expect the US or UK or even turkey for that matter to raise it at any note worthy international forum. In fact I am bit surprised that Turkey let the news out at all.

Not that I condone any of the above, quite the opposite in fact. The guilty here individuals and / or government should be exposed. 

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is not really good enough though, is it? 

Not nearly good enough at all.

• Like 2

Certainly a nasty business, I guess if all that oil wasn't there, no-one would even have heard of the House of Saud.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

Certainly a nasty business, I guess if all that oil wasn't there, no-one would even have heard of the House of Saud.

if America pulls all military support and protection from the House of Saud... rest assured they'll be forgotten very quickly. 

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

far too messy. into a bath tub, chopped into bits, placed into plastic bags and into diplomatic pouches back to Saudi Arabia. 

Good to see that at least some media companies and private businesses aren't afraid to act in response to the SA issue:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/oct/12/saudi-arabia-fii-conference-withdrawal-jamal-khashoggi

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, RAyMO said:

I have been wondering why the forum is quiet on this issue. If it was the Iranian or Chinese or American or English consulate would it have been so quiet?

I don't like Erdoğan and his form of government, but that said there does seem to be, based on what has come out from Turkey, a prima facie case for the SA government to answer.

The length of time to get that response and indeed the relative lack of clamour from western governments leads me to contemplate that time is been taken and given  to build a smoke screen.

ETA Though I am referring to Khashoggi

I posted the story in Modern Mysteries when he disappeared, I guess I should have put it here

I think this has blown up in Saudi's face badly, you don't kidnap or kill people on foreign soil without repercussions. Turkey won't want to go it alone against an influential country like KSA but the outrage may force others to side with Turkey on the issue.

• Like 3