Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What did I see?

Scassidy77

I am not into ghosts or paranormal things typically.  I had an experience last night that I am curious about.  Basically I was sitting on my couch last night at 1:30 am.  I had the living room light on but the hallway light leading into the living room was off.  Suddenly I looked up and saw a human figure in my hallway.  I don't know if I caught it out if the corner of my eye or just decided to look up?  But for some reason I looked up.  I saw it for maybe 2 seconds.  It was as if the figure was walking into the living room and then  immediately changed it's mind and turned around went back the other way and disappeared.  It was plain as day.  I thought someone was in my house but turned the lights on and searched the house.  Nobody was there.  The hair on my neck stood up for sure.  I wasn't scared though nor did I get a bad feeling from it.  The figure seemed like a whiteish color and had human form, but it happened so quickly that I couldn't get any detail except for hieght.  I would say 5'8" tall.   I am wondering if anyone who knows more than I do has any ideas of what it might have been?  Ghost, shadow person, Angel, other?  I live in a duplex and have been here for 2 years now.  I have never seen anything else or had any odd experience here prior to this.   I looked on internet and it doesn't sound like a shadow figure.  I have been incredibly stressed lately and at the lowest point if my life.  I've been dealing with loss of employment, and tons of bills and no money to pay them, and father is dying.  I don't know if this could have any connection.  I immediately thought my dad had died and the figure was him,  but it wasn't cause I called him and he is still alive.  The last few days oddly enough, I started listening to a podcast on Angels to try to fall asleep to at night.  Just helps to distract my mind.   Any ideas?  Thanks 

Edited by Scassidy77
Typos

I am sorry for your stress right now and your Dad. Mine died a year ago last month and it has been a constant challenge and adjustment.

Given your stress levels, plus that you have just recently started exploring the topic of angels, perhaps it can be brushed off as suggestion. Some here will tell you that is exactly what it is. Perhaps, they are correct in saying so.

Given that it is a one of experience thus far, I would say you may do best to write it down exactly as you remember it and set that aside and let it be what it is, maybe a sighting of something more, or maybe just suggestion. See what else may become evident about it either way as time moves on.

If you are a non-believer as you have said, maybe it is simply the other side (which again, many here do not believe in at all) letting you know there is something else out there. I have several friends who count ONE experience total in their lives who see it this way and keep an open mind as they move on in their generally skeptical lives, and are ok with this. What you do not want to do is go the other extreme and become hyper aware and looking for anything odd to happen, as it can become a self fulfilling sort of situation and lead to superstitious drama and things nobody needs.

I have always felt that the Real Deal doesn't need all of that to say "hi", which perhaps, you saw last night.

Or not :)

Please take care of yourself during this rough time, and welcome to UM.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Scassidy77 said:

I looked on internet and it doesn't sound like a shadow figure. 

'Shadow Figure' was my first thought. Why did you sort of disqualify that broad category?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

'Shadow Figure' was my first thought. Why did you sort of disqualify that broad category?

Well what I read on the internet said that they are a dark colored figure.  The figure I saw was a light color almost light someone wearing a white T-shirt.  But I could get any real detail.  Just that I recognized it as human shape.  So basically the color is why I dismissed it.  But maybe they are not always dark colored?

Shadow people are always black, yes, by definition. They also frequently have a very negative aura they give off. SP look like literally a shadow, with nothing solid to cast it that we can see.

• Like 1

I think just a ghost going about its business,your stress has enabled you to see it as your more sensitive at the moment,just normal stuff for me.

4 hours ago, Scassidy77 said:

I have been incredibly stressed lately and at the lowest point if my life.  I've been dealing with loss of employment, and tons of bills and no money to pay them, and father is dying.  I don't know if this could have any connection.  I immediately thought my dad had died and the figure was him,

You said this was around 1 in the morning, so I'm going to assume you had insomnia (yes/no?). If this is the case it would play into what you saw. Stress, grief, strong emotions tend to manifest at times in hallucinatory mind tricks. I suggest meditation to ease your stress levels and hope you can resolve your employment issues.

Edited by XenoFish
Mistake was pointed out.

14 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

You said this was around 1 in the morning, so I'm going to assume you had insomnia (yes/no?). If this is the case it would play into what you saw. Stress, grief, strong emotions tend to manifest at times in hallucinatory mind tricks. I suggest meditation to ease your stress levels and hope you can resolve your employment issues, as for your father passing, you have my sympathies.

No, he said his dad was still alive after he called him. 

Unemployment stress can have devastating effects on the mind though. Look at the people in the news who are going crazy because of it. 

3 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Yeah, just stress them out more......

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Piney said:

No, he said his dad was still alive after he called him. Thanks for pointing that out. Too early in the morning.

Unemployment stress can have devastating effects on the mind though. Look at the people in the news who are going crazy because of it. 

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

I know, we're in the same time zone and you gave up caffeine. I'm on my third cup. 

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I know, we're in the same time zone and you gave up caffeine. I'm on my third cup. 

The headaches, oh, the headaches. Actually I gave up the energy drinks. I still drink tea and coffee. But yeah, the headaches are hell. But let's not derail further.

Edited by XenoFish
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Scassidy77 said:

Well what I read on the internet said that they are a dark colored figure.  The figure I saw was a light color almost light someone wearing a white T-shirt.  But I could get any real detail.  Just that I recognized it as human shape.  So basically the color is why I dismissed it.  But maybe they are not always dark colored?

It sounds more like a plain old-fashion ghost then. Any suspicion on who/what/why might be visiting?

5 hours ago, Piney said:

Yeah, just stress them out more...…

We were having an adult discussion. The figure was not the source of the stress but just a curiosity. Is it really better to have people doubt their grip on reality? 

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

We were having an adult discussion. The figure was not the source of the stress but just a curiosity. Is it really better to have people doubt their grip on reality? 

No, it was probably caused by the stress. But it most certainly wasn't a shadow entity.  

Just now, Piney said:

No, it was probably caused by the stress. But it most certainly wasn't a shadow entity.  

And I think the 'stress' explanation gets overused in these discussions. And after further discussion with the OP I am not thinking Shadow Person but a more normal ghost.

To give you a positive, I'm glad you added the word 'probably' at least in the first sentence. In our past discussions I felt you had a tendency to come off as too sure of yourself. 

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

And I think the 'stress' explanation gets overused in these discussions. And after further discussion with the OP I am not thinking Shadow Person but a more normal ghost.

To give you a positive, I'm glad you added the word 'probably' at least in the first sentence. In our past discussions I felt you had a tendency to come off as too sure of yourself. 

Your NOT a worker. Stop giving advice like one.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

I felt you had a tendency to come off as too sure of yourself. 

I am a TRAINED spirit worker. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Your NOT a worker. Stop giving advice like one.

I am politely discussing questions OPs want to discuss on an open forum. 

Hello everyone, thanks for taking the time to respond to me post.  As someone had asked earlier... No I don't have any idea what or who would have came to visit me.  Only a couple there's in the back of my mind..  and having no real knowledge of paranormal phenomenon these are just ideas that came into the mind of a novice. (1) maybe it was some sort of sign or similar that my dad may be passing soon. (perhaps a lost relative or similar).  (2). And this one is really probably far fetched to be the case.  But I started a new part-time evening job 3 weeks ago working in the kitchen at a nursing home doing food prep and dishes.  My boss and a few other people working there have told me that there is a ghost in the back stock room where we keep the canned food.  I don't know that I believe that.  Other people working there have never saw anything there and neither have I seen anything at work.  (3) maybe a guardian Angel.  My girlfriend is religious, and when I told her about my sighting, she immediately thought that is what it was.  I know this is all subjective though, and everyone will have a different theory perhaps.

Could be an idea. Thinking you might have a ghost around can and sometimes does manifest as a visual hallucination. It's a product of your subconscious though. I still suggest meditation to help with stress. 

• Thanks 1

Even though your father has not passed yet, it could still have been 'him' visiting you. I think as people get closer to death they become more spirit than physical body and this means it is easier for the spirit to detach itself and travel around, so to speak.

24 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Even though your father has not passed yet, it could still have been 'him' visiting you. I think as people get closer to death they become more spirit than physical body and this means it is easier for the spirit to detach itself and travel around, so to speak.

I did see my Dad shortly before he died, but, I have a feeling the OP might be dealing with his worry over his finacials and the pending death of his Dad (I had a rough time through this phase myself, almost as harsh as his death was). Combine this with the ghost chatting at work, his angel podcast and his girlfriend and at this point one could make a fair case for a ghostie, an angel or a hallucination. This is why, as we were not there, I suggested OP start a small log of what he sees exactly while it is fresh in his mind and over time what it is becomes a lot more obvious. His memory will shift, details fade, but a log will help him recall that no it was not gray it was white, and he'd been reading when it happened or watching tv or praying or what have you. It can help reveal patterns or the lack of them.

In any case, OP you have heard from several experts and sceptics here so have an array of options. :)  That you work at a nursing home now is interesting to me. When I did that, I found I had a lot of random visitors and energies around, but, to be honest none were malicious or negative, even, and most moved on quickly. A few were pranksters but that I do not tolerate and evicted as soon as it started up and never had any issues. It just was interesting for a while for me.

• Like 2

Hi @Scassidy77 

I don't have any insight in what you saw but I did want to say welcome to UM and I am sorry about the tough times and most especially about your dad's illness.

Dot

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Sometimes it is also a "reflection" a type of "thoughtform" created by concern for the welfare of the person who is ill.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1