Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Should "offensive" fancy dress be banned?

Eldorado

Fancy dress parties, particularly around Halloween, are a staple part of going to university. However, students in Kent have been given guidance that tells them not to wear a number of different outfits. Among the list of costumes that they deem offensive are cowboy outfits and sombreros.

The costumes that are banned include the following costumes and themes:

The Crusades
Nazi uniforms
Priests
Nuns
Cowboys
Native Americans
Isis bombers
Israeli soldier
Tory boys
Chavs
The Prophet Mohammed
Jimmy Savile
Harvey Weinstein
Dressing up as a gender or sexuality they don’t identify with ‘if the purpose is to belittle’

Full article: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/12/kent-students-union-bans-cowboy-fancy-dress-costumes-and-sombreros-8030266/

You can vote at the above link on whether fancy dress parties should have a Ban List or not.  I voted No.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

Priests

I was a priest a couple of years ago for Halloween, complete with baby doll prop. It was a huge hit but it definitely drew some negative reactions as well :lol:

• Haha 5

6 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Fancy dress parties, particularly around Halloween, are a staple part of going to university. However, students in Kent have been given guidance that tells them not to wear a number of different outfits. Among the list of costumes that they deem offensive are cowboy outfits and sombreros.

The costumes that are banned include the following costumes and themes:

The Crusades
Nazi uniforms
Priests
Nuns
Cowboys
Native Americans
Isis bombers
Israeli soldier
Tory boys
Chavs
The Prophet Mohammed
Jimmy Savile
Harvey Weinstein
Dressing up as a gender or sexuality they don’t identify with ‘if the purpose is to belittle’

Full article: https://metro.co.uk/2018/10/12/kent-students-union-bans-cowboy-fancy-dress-costumes-and-sombreros-8030266/

You can vote at the above link on whether fancy dress parties should have a Ban List or not.  I voted No.

Remember when people could find humor in such activities?  I mean, the whole purpose wasn't to impose a political agenda, just have some fun.  Being in some university settings today must be like trying to walk through a minefield.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I've always said we have Free Speak, and this should be included under it. However, being allowed to do so doesn't necessarily mean there will not be social consequences. 

My niece (age 3) dressed up as Moana last year, though her parents were TOLD (by Facebook acquaintances mostly) that it was NOT a politically correct thing to do. The internet was abuzz with the PC Police saying things like they'd not give candy to girls dress up as Moana, because it was Cultural Appropriation. 

She did it anyway, and got a ton of candy anyway.

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 4

What is next? No skeletons, mutants (toxic not X-men) or zombies? Because people might, possibly, perhaps... FEEL scared?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Haha 4

35 minutes ago, and then said:

Remember when people could find humor in such activities?  I mean, the whole purpose wasn't to impose a political agenda

True and I dont really support banning these kinds of things but for perspectives sake we have had many instances over the last multiple years where those kinds of parties were thrown specifically to push a political agenda.

• Thanks 2

No, nonething should be banned for halloween.

Halloween is satire, end of story. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Native Americans

You can dress like one during the American Thanksgiving and if your holding a "culture day" at a Catholic school. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

I was a priest a couple of years ago for Halloween, complete with baby doll prop. It was a huge hit but it definitely drew some negative reactions as well :lol:

A good friend of mine went to a party dressed as Jimmy Saville, complete with cigar. His wife went as a schoolgirl. He had fake blood on his fingers and she had fake blood dripping down her legs. Most found it amusing :lol:

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Stiff said:

A good friend of mine went to a party dressed as Jimmy Saville, complete with cigar. His wife went as a schoolgirl. He had fake blood on his fingers and she had fake blood dripping down her legs. Most found it amusing :lol:

Goodness gracious, Now then, Now then...

Edited by Iilaa'mpuul'xem
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, seanjo said:

Holy Moly that was brave...

It was brave. Not the kind of thing I would have dared do. But he's the kind of guy that would have told anyone to 'clear off' if they said they were offended. (Although maybe in a different manner). He has quite the temper and was known as the 'Social Hand Grenade' in our immediate circle of friends.

I voted no as well. The whole thing is ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stiff said:

Just found a pic of them before they set off for the party.

jimmy.jpg

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Why not ban everything fun.

It'll come.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Just found a pic of them before they set off for the party.

jimmy.jpg

OMG Thats amazing :lol:

Definitely some cajones on that guy !

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why not ban everything fun.

They already have, hadn't you ever heard about Islam?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

Definitely some cajones on that guy !

Spookily enough, I'm meeting him at a 40th party tonight but I'm hoping he won't be dressed up :D

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Spookily enough, I'm meeting him at a 40th party tonight but I'm hoping he won't be dressed up :D

Be sure to send him some respect from across the pond for that costume!!!!

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, and then said:

They already have, hadn't you ever heard about Islam?

Yes, and I think being that restricted in life creates a lot of anger and frustration. 

17 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Be sure to send him some respect from across the pond for that costume!!!!

Will do thumb.gif

This is one of those situations that makes me think of the old saying "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

This is one of those situations that makes me think of the old saying "just because you can doesn't mean you should"

...or "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

• Haha 1

I knew a guy who worked for the State Department in Pakistan in 2000/2001. He came back after 9/11. He had a full beard and was deeply tanned and he looked like a local (he did some kind of secret squirrel stuff.)

When he came back he was assigned to an office in the Pentagon. He went to work one day dressed in a thawb (the white flowing Arab robe) under an M-65 camouflage field jacket, full beard, white Sunni turban, sandals, and walked around the Pentagon looking like bin Laden. The looks he got were hysterical.

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, The Caspian Hare said:

When he came back he was assigned to an office in the Pentagon. He went to work one day dressed in a thawb (the white flowing Arab robe) under an M-65 camouflage field jacket, full beard, white Sunni turban, sandals, and walked around the Pentagon looking like bin Laden. The looks he got were hysterical.

We should start working on our costumes. I need to borrow a blond wig so I look "Cherokee". :yes:

• Haha 3

I remember I once took part in a nativity play (I was about 6 at the time) and dressed as an "arab" to play the part of the innkeeper. Think I used a tablecloth ......  I am thus ashamed to say that I am guilty of deeply offensive cultural appropriation and should probably go to prison for at least 120 years.   I assume nativity plays have all been banned these days?  Unless all participants are ethnic Palestinians and Jews?   Along with any pantomines in which a male dresses as a woman, a woman as a man and anyone as a fairy?  

I also find it incredibly offensive when someone with blond hair dyes it to play someone with black hair.    And when people with light skin spray themselves with something to make them look tanned. 

• Haha 1