Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Washington state abolishes death penalty

6 posts in this topic

Still Waters

The Supreme Court of the state of Washington has ruled that the death penalty violates the state’s constitution.

With today's decision, Washington becomes the 20th state to abolish capital punishment, and the eighth in the last 11 years. Three other states have governor-imposed moratoria in carrying out executions —- all also issued in the last decade.

Thirty states and the federal government provide for the imposition of death as a sentence for some homicides.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/washington-state-supreme-court-declares-death-penalty-unconstitutional/story?

• Like 3

seanjo

Still a thing under Federal Law I believe, perhaps an American can confirm/correct me.

Farmer77
1 hour ago, seanjo said:

Still a thing under Federal Law I believe, perhaps an American can confirm/correct me.

Yes there is still a federal death penalty but each state dictates their own laws as it relates to punishments.

• Thanks 1

sci-nerd

Welcome to the 21st century Washington!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Robotic Jew

Good. 

• Like 2

OverSword

About time.  I don't trust the government and they most certainly should not have the right to decide life or death for a human.

• Like 1