Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Boston Dynamics robot can now do parkour

UM-Bot

Mmmm!  Impressive but negative connotations come to mind.  Do we need to worry, do you think?

• Like 2

Awww, it's first words were "you have 15 seconds to comply"

Edited by TripGun
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

They also just showcased a new autonomous tank with invisibility, surface to air, heavy artillery and crowd control  so ya, only a matter of time.

Edited by TaintlessMetals
Blahhhhhhh!!!!
  • Like 1

Just a few short years ago, BD's robot was able to walk in a straight line with decent stability.

A year later, it was running on unstable ground outdoors, without cables.

A year after that, it was jumping, opening door knobs and easily manipulating objects in it's environment.

Now it's on the verge of surpassing normal human abilities. 

While certainly impressive from a technical perspective, it is rather worrying to imagine just how capable this robot is going to get if the firm continues to update it over the next few years.

Why would the firm stop developing this robot? Of course it's going to get better, and faster, and stronger..

We are watching our replacements enter the world in slow motion. If not our replacements, at least our future Police, riot cops and law enforcement. When they can produce these en masse, "lack of resources" will no longer be an issue for local Police Departments. That means they can send these things out to deal with every. little. infraction.

Better make sure your taxes are all paid up. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Don't know about autonomy of this thing ? But it's more and more impressive. You put a big knife on that and it will become a nightmare. 

• Like 1

i'm not worried. while it has mastered parkour, it has also mastered the art of looking utterly goofy while doing parkour.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yeah it needs to look like Clark Kent.

Or at least have his voice.

Oh and fly through the air--

back and forth to New York TOO!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All very impressive, but I paid them the grant with the understanding they'd make me a replica of Maximillian from The Black Hole.

• Haha 2

I'd hardly call that 'Parkour'. It's not parkour if I can do it, lol. Still eerily impressive, though.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, MWoo7 said:

Yeah it needs to look like Clark Kent.

Or at least have his voice.

Oh and fly through the air--

back and forth to New York TOO!

if the robot flies he's not robot clark kent, he's robot superman!

i want robot clark kent and his robo-jaw of might

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Just a few short years ago, BD's robot was able to walk in a straight line with decent stability.

A year later, it was running on unstable ground outdoors, without cables.

A year after that, it was jumping, opening door knobs and easily manipulating objects in it's environment.

Now it's on the verge of surpassing normal human abilities.

in 2020, they will reproduce themselves. Controlled, 1M units a week.

• Sad 2

YEs well this was going great till the 1 MILLION production plant came up ...... however .... they had better have a vote on his looks, and here is my vote:  "    clark kent and his robo-jaw of might    ""

The true future is blending great technologies. A robot that can react to its surroundings plus a VR headset, a thought control interface and wireless long distance remote operation. Now you can send a thinking human into a hazardous situation without risking life. Why have a completely autonomous robot when we have billions of controllers available? So many possibilities for positive use beyond just military aps.  

Now we're talking! 

On 10/12/2018 at 12:49 PM, Dark_Grey said:

We are watching our replacements enter the world in slow motion. If not our replacements, at least our future Police, riot cops and law enforcement. When they can produce these en masse, "lack of resources" will no longer be an issue for local Police Departments. That means they can send these things out to deal with every. little. infraction.

Better make sure your taxes are all paid up. 

and i look forward to it. especially police, 99% of problems we have with police, are human problems.

• 11 months later...

And it's getting even more advanced. Impressive stuff...