Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sea Serpent Sighting

Lord Harry

Lately on this sub-forum there have been several threads describing sightings of alleged sea serpents and lake monsters, and I though I would share a possible sighting I had many years ago. I was nine years old on a school bus going on a fourth grade field trip.  This was in coastal Rhode Island, and I cannot recall the precise location of the sighting.  But when the bus drove past a certain beach, I saw in the water a large dark brown object, the visible portion of which was at least 40 feet in length.  It was the size of a whale, but it did not propel itself through the water in the manner of any whale.  The creature had a series of humps along its back, and propelled itself by means of vertical undulations.  I was not familiar with the possible existence of sea serpents at the time, but I remember thinking to myself that the animal resembled one of the ocean-going reptiles I had seen depicted in books such as an ichtyosaurus.  I eventually convinced myself that it was a whale, because I had been told by my parents and teachers that dinosaurs had gone extinct long ago, and as I mentioned previously I was unfamiliar with sea serpent lore. Thinking back however, I realize that what I saw fits the classic description of an alleged sea serpent.

Thoughts?  Comments?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Vertical undulations, oarfish immediately comes to mind. 

The animal I saw was much too large and thick bodied to be an oarfish. 

Oarfish are a frail, paper thin species which are virtually impossible to see at that distance from land.  What's more this creature was of a dark brown color, not luminescent like the oarfish. They are also incapable of raising that much of their back above the surface of the water.  An oarfish certainly could not be seen from over a thousand feet away from a moving school bus.

Edited by Lord Harry

55 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

I was nine years old on a school bus going on a fourth grade field trip.

The obvious question to ask is:

did anyone else see it?

The fact that you have not said anything along these lines makes me wonder

26 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

The obvious question to ask is:

did anyone else see it?

The fact that you have not said anything along these lines makes me wonder

Not that I'm aware of. I intended to tell my classmate who was sitting next to me, but he had fallen asleep.

3 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

Not that I'm aware of. I intended to tell my classmate who was sitting next to me, but he had fallen asleep.

oh ok then

Edited by Dejarma
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

any normal 9 year old (or adult for that matter) if they feel they're witnessing something unbelievable in front of their eyes would jump up saying something like: 'wow what's that!?!?' pointing it out to everyone!

not you though, eh?:wacko:

Edited by Dejarma

1 hour ago, Not Your Huckleberry said:

Vertical undulations, oarfish immediately comes to mind. 

Wouldn't that be horizontal?

1 hour ago, Lord Harry said:

Thoughts?  Comments?

I've been poking around for some New England sea serpent lore. There is not much out there. 

I might of told you this already, we Algonquians did have the Miisupiishu, the Horned Serpent, the personification of rivers whose scales were mica and was the guardian and real owner of all copper. 

But it had nothing to do with the ocean

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

or fact;)

All Native spirits are the personification of nature and human nature but I know Harry and he doesn't B.S.

He exposes other peoples' B.S. :yes:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

There were hundreds of sightings between 1900 - 1910 when the oceans were rapidly filling with steam ships and probably spooking the poor creatures.  95 percent of the world's oceans have never been explored so we have no idea what is lurking down there.  Even Captain Rostron who rescued the survivors of the Titanic was a strong believer in sea serpents especially as he saw one himself back in 1907.  He wrote - "It was a sea monster!  It was no more than fifty feet from the ship’s side when we passed it, and so both I and the junior officer had a good sight of it....The thing was turning its head from side to side.....We were close enough to realise its head rose eight or nine feet out of the water, while the trunk of the neck was fully twelve inches thick......There were two protuberances where eyes might have been, but I could see no eyes... It had very small ears in comparison with its enormous bulk."

He drew this sketch back in 1907.

seamonster2.png

Passenger ships, fishing boats, and even German submarines all recorded their encounters with sea serpents.  The newspapers were packed full with sightings and descriptions.  My guess is, they were an endangered species and by 1930 they were almost extinct.

seamonster.png

seamonster3.png

seamonster4.png

seamonster5.png

seamonster7.png

seamonster6.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

There were hundreds of sightings between 1900 - 1910 when the oceans were rapidly filling with steam ships and probably spooking the poor creatures.  95 percent of the world's oceans have never been explored so we have no idea what is lurking down there.  Even Captain Rostron who rescued the survivors of the Titanic was a strong believer in sea serpents especially as he saw one himself back in 1907.  He wrote - "It was a sea monster!  It was no more than fifty feet from the ship’s side when we passed it, and so both I and the junior officer had a good sight of it....The thing was turning its head from side to side.....We were close enough to realise its head rose eight or nine feet out of the water, while the trunk of the neck was fully twelve inches thick......There were two protuberances where eyes might have been, but I could see no eyes... It had very small ears in comparison with its enormous bulk."

seamonster2.png

Passenger ships, fishing boats, and even German submarines all recorded their encounters with sea serpents.  The newspapers were packed full with sightings and descriptions.  My guess is, they were an endangered species and by 1930 they were almost extinct.

seamonster.png

seamonster3.png

seamonster4.png

seamonster5.png

seamonster7.png

seamonster6.png

I just want to note that the "Santa Cruz sea monster" is a confirmed Baird's beaked whale, Berardius bairdii (Davidson, 1929). Old newspaper accounts are probably the least-reliable form of evidence out there.

• Like 2

They are all of the ancient  myths of creatures in the sea. no really of fish the  blooming  up and sickness in a fish`s body  ,:)

blotching up :)

Edited by docyabut2

31 minutes ago, Aaron2016 said:

seamonster2.png

seamonster.png

seamonster3.png

seamonster4.png

seamonster5.png

seamonster7.png

seamonster6.png

Thank you for this information. I have always suspected large oceanic Cryptids would have become increasingly scarce since the advent of the steam engine. Sightings are not as prevalent as they were during the age of sail.

• Like 2

Folks, Harry doesn't strike me as a "woo" person. If he says he saw something, I'm inclined to believe him. Especially regarding the ocean. It's not as explored as the rest of the world and we should not be arrogant enough to think we've found all that's out there, like the giant squid which is now fact and not fiction.

As to why he didn't, as a child, jump up and down and scream about it? That's more dependent on personality than anything else.

Thank you, Harry for telling us your story!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really guys there is no such proof of crazy creatures, but just the normal bloating deaths of species of fish, whales ect  .

Speaking of German submarines the so called "UB-85 Atrocity" is an interesting account. The crew reported the creature was unusually aggressive and attacked the submarine and was only repelled through repeated small arms fire.

• Like 1

There is fun in this. Lore and legend. We have not mapped the oceans to a real extent.

I remember seeing a couple of dolphins swimming synchronized in tandem at twilight. At first it looked nothing like dolphins, at least not like I've seen them in daylight, they are very rare out in the South China Sea. What we normally associate with dolphins in motion is that speeding dart on the surf or breaks of the boats. THat day I saw something I thought was one single huge animal, swimming in an undulating manner just near the surface, I saw humps. Then I realised it was not one single animal but a couple of dolphins swimming in a slow manner, synchronised almost in a line.

It did raise the hairs on the back of my neck though. My pal on the boat confirmed my suspicions with a big smile, it is a rare sight, some folks only sees them no more than a dozen times in a lifetime

~

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Lord Harry said:

Lately on this sub-forum there have been several threads describing sightings of alleged sea serpents and lake monsters, and I though I would share a possible sighting I had many years ago. I was nine years old on a school bus going on a fourth grade field trip.  This was in coastal Rhode Island, and I cannot recall the precise location of the sighting.  But when the bus drove past a certain beach, I saw in the water a large dark brown object, the visible portion of which was at least 40 feet in length.  It was the size of a whale, but it did not propel itself through the water in the manner of any whale.  The creature had a series of humps along its back, and propelled itself by means of vertical undulations.  I was not familiar with the possible existence of sea serpents at the time, but I remember thinking to myself that the animal resembled one of the ocean-going reptiles I had seen depicted in books such as an ichtyosaurus.  I eventually convinced myself that it was a whale, because I had been told by my parents and teachers that dinosaurs had gone extinct long ago, and as I mentioned previously I was unfamiliar with sea serpent lore. Thinking back however, I realize that what I saw fits the classic description of an alleged sea serpent.

Thoughts?  Comments?

The motion makes it sound like a cetacean considering they have horizontal tail flukes that move vertically, while most fish have vertical tail flukes that move horizontally. I'm not sure why you mention ichthyosaurs because they have vertical tail flukes like fish.

Edited by Carnoferox

14 minutes ago, Lord Harry said:

The crew reported the creature was unusually aggressive and attacked the submarine and was only repelled through repeated small arms fire.

With regards to this thread:

all you've done here is put forward a ridiculous story- why? Are you bored/ on dugs/ drunk, or all 3???

Don't insult my intelligence mate!

Now, if you've got something interesting to say then I'm all ears