Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Qatar World Cup Death Toll.

danydandan

Recently I seen this and thought wow, actually what I thought was very profanity driven,

"If we were to hold a minute of silence for every migrant workers death as a result of the construction projects for the World Cup in Qatar. The first 44 games would be played in complete silence".

So of course I had to read the stats, because that, 44*90=3960 death's that can't be right can it? Well seems it very well could be.

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-33019838

https://deadspin.com/chart-the-qatar-world-cup-death-toll-is-stunning-1707286095

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/dec/23/qatar-nepal-workers-world-cup-2022-death-toll-doha

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/business/economy/2018/07/23/A-new-plight-for-hundreds-of-workers-in-Qatar-s-World-Cup-2022-sites.html

https://newrepublic.com/article/117818/qatar-2022-world-cup-pace-kill-4000-migrant-workers-says-espn

BBC in 2015 estimate 1500 death's approximately. Guardian doesn't really give a toll.  One link mentioned that 4000 people are probably going to die as a result of this?

Just wanted to highlight this. Also ask if anyone is going to protest the World Cup, I will be writing to my minister of sport regarding this, also there seems to be an attitude of who cares really in the media. We need to highlight this more as football fans and human being. One death is unacceptable, nevermind 4000+.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 7

Interestingly enough, many of these foreign workers are almost slaves. They can't leave the country without an exit visa from their employers. Nor can they become unemployed, as there are no state benefits. Nor can they change jobs. (at least, not without their employers permission).

They are indebted by up to two years wages the instant they arrive in Doha. Hundreds die of dehydration and heat exhaustion every year. Probably. We don't know.

We know that they die, but the Qatar authorities don't do post mortems. Nobody knows where they are buried. 

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens if Israel qualifies for the world cup this year. Their football team MIGHT be allowed to enter the country. But non of their fans will. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Interestingly enough, many of these foreign workers are almost slaves. They can't leave the country without an exit visa from their employers. Nor can they become unemployed, as there are no state benefits. Nor can they change jobs. (at least, not without their employers permission).

They are indebted by up to two years wages the instant they arrive in Doha. Hundreds die of dehydration and heat exhaustion every year. Probably. We don't know.

We know that they die, but the Qatar authorities don't do post mortems. Nobody knows where they are buried. 

It will be VERY interesting to see what happens if Israel qualifies for the world cup this year. Their football team MIGHT be allowed to enter the country. But non of their fans will. 

Yeah it's a disgrace. As a football fan I'm horrified this is happening and FIFA don't seem to give a toss. Seemingly no other FA is voicing their concerns either.

Such an event should not be held in such an **** backwards country.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

@danydandan depressing reading. It really is time we put people before the sensitivities of government, corporations, and multinational sports organizations.

As a world we are allowing collective greed to determine our actions, to support oppressive 16th century models of government which we as individuals would never put our hands up to support.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, RAyMO said:

@danydandan depressing reading. It really is time we put people before the sensitivities of government, corporations, and multinational sports organizations.

I'll be writing to my Minister of Sport and John Delaney regarding this, whether it gets anywhere is another thing but it needs to be highlighted. Countries should be boycotting this event and players should also. But what's a few dead imigrants when money in involved. Players make millions, FIFA make hundreds of millions, Qatar gets to make billions.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Qatar gets to make billions

And indirect endorsement of its modus operandi. - We really our a bunch of economic cowards.

Edited by RAyMO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

And indirect endorsement of its modus operandi. - We really our a bunch of economic cowards.

I'd like to see some Muslim footballers boycotting it, it might be more new worthy then. Someone like Ozil or Salah.

• Like 2

Todays world of soccer has morphed to a swamp of corruption, orchestrated and controlled by a bunch of dirty old men. I remember an interview with  Franz Beckenbauer on TV where he was asked about the slave like situation of migrant workers in Qatar, especially in relation to the work for the 2022 event.

Translation of the interview:

"I haven't seen a single slave in Qatar yet. They can freely walk around, they are not chained, they don't wear penitent caps, I haven't seen that yet. I have no idea, where these claims come from. I have made my own impressions about the Arabian region and I think that my impressions are the more realistic ones."

I mean, this moron is either totally insane or totally ignorant but I think its both of it. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

If it's profitable it's OK. Sad world. 

• Like 3

Imagine this amount of death's occurred in an EU country or the US. There would be bloody up roar. But because people don't want to p*** off an oppressive, racist, bigoted and hateful regime they are allowed get away with it?

While organisations like FIFA, football FA's, travel agencies and footballers themselves are going to profit off the death's of ordinary workers. It's shameful and the more I think about how players thank God and salute God prior to coming on the pitch or after scoring etcetca the more p***ed off I get regarding this.

Might set up a Twitter account and troll the crap out of footballers.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Interestingly when Qatar was in the good books of usa and Saudi there was not much made of these deaths. 

There isn't anything being made of these death's, them articles are 4-5 years old. I could not find any real up to date articles.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Interestingly when Qatar was in the good books of usa and Saudi there was not much made of these deaths. 

That's a fair point - but to be clear SA are no better a regime

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, RAyMO said:

That's a fair point - but to be clear SA are no better a regime

No religious regime is period!

...and to be fair that includes the Vatican! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Piney said:

No religious regime is period!

...and to be fair that includes the Vatican! 

I would highly doubt that today or the last 10 years that these kind of death's would occur in the Vatican. Or anywhere in Europe, Northern America, Japan on Russia.

I know there is always crap happening everywhere and just this week China started concentration camps for some ethnic group. But for 4000 death's to occur soley as a result of construction would derail a government elsewhere and the UN, NATO etcetca would be in uproars.

Why isn't this happening, I don't know.

People are more anrgy that Christiano Ronaldo might have raped someone.

Edited by danydandan

Just now, kartikg said:

Anyway I would still watch and enjoy the matches, let's not pretend like we are not going to. 

I won't be. Unless it's changed to a different country.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, danydandan said:

just this week China started concentration camps for some ethnic group.

Radical Muslims have been coming from Saudi Arabia to stir up the Uigurs. China is not going to let it happen and I don't blame them. There is a long history that started when a Muslim crusade was declared against Buddhism that most people don't know about in the West.

28 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I would highly doubt that today or the last 10 years that these kind of death's would occur in the Vatican. Or anywhere in Europe, Northern America, Japan on Russia.

The Catholic Church was allowed to run many Indian residential schools and molestations and murders occured up until the 1990s. They stopped diggging up the mass graves when they hit a 1,000.

32 minutes ago, danydandan said:

People are more anrgy that Christiano Ronaldo might have raped someone.

Because they are kept in the dark by the media about the real atrocities and this crap is a distraction. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Piney said:

Radical Muslims have been coming from Saudi Arabia to stir up the Uigurs. China is not going to let it happen and I don't blame them. There is a long history that started when a Muslim crusade was declared against Buddhism that most people don't know about in the West.

The Catholic Church was allowed to run many Indian residential schools and molestations and murders occured up until the 1990s. They stopped diggging up the mass graves when they hit a 1,000.

Because they are kept in the dark by the media about the real atrocities and this crap is a distraction. 

I agree with you regarding the China and Church abuse things.

People aren't being kept in the dark about this, it seems people just don't care. Which is evident by post 17.

7 minutes ago, danydandan said:

People aren't being kept in the dark about this, it seems people just don't care. Which is evident by post 17.

One of the reason I left my Quaker Meeting was because of that. The SJWs are more concerned with word usage than what's really evil in the world.

Do some digging and see where Pepsi gets their phosphate from and what's done around the mine to the indigenous Berbers. They aren't such protectors of social justice as they'd have you think. 

Edited by Piney

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

One of the reason I left my Quaker Meeting was because of that. The SJWs are more concerned with word usage than what's really evil in the world.

Do some digging and see where Pepsi gets their phosphate from and what's done around the mine to the indigenous Berbers. They aren't such protectors of social justice as they'd have you think. 

You should see were Coke got their sugar from prior to the invasion if Iraq.

World's gone nuts.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

You should see were Coke got their sugar from prior to the invasion if Iraq.

World's gone nuts.

I fought the fight against injustices and tried to "save the world"  since I was a teen, and when I couldn't be bought, distracted or corrupted I was falsely imprisoned, made to look like a "bad guy" and attempts were made on my life.

It's a lost cause and as a whole people only care about themselves and their personal agendas.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

The decision of allowing Qatar to host the Football World Cup, the biggest sporting event in the world, was the gift and the legacy left to us by Herr Sepp Blatter, one of the most corrupt Sporting Officials in history.  The country had no facilities, organisation or sporting history to host such a huge event and how they were selected was based on how many Francs went into Blatter's Swiss bank account.  So, it is no surprise they were always going to be scrambling to get things done in time but not at the cost of human lives due to slave labor.  I agree with the OP, players should all get together to boycott the event.

19 hours ago, Piney said:

I fought the fight against injustices and tried to "save the world"  since I was a teen, and when I couldn't be bought, distracted or corrupted I was falsely imprisoned, made to look like a "bad guy" and attempts were made on my life.

It's a lost cause and as a whole people only care about themselves and their personal agendas.... 

Yup it is almost impossible to stop an injustice these days unless you are prepared to risk your and your family lives. No police, no courts, no laws will help you in time of need. 

• Thanks 1