Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Vampire burial" at ancient Roman cemetary

The Caspian Hare

The discovery of a 10-year-old's body at an ancient Roman site in Italy suggests measures were taken to prevent the child, possibly infected with malaria, from rising from the dead and spreading disease to the living.

The skeletal remains, uncovered by archaeologists from the University of Arizona and Stanford University, along with archaeologists from Italy, included a skull with a rock intentionally inserted into the mouth. Researchers believe the stone may have been placed there as part of a funeral ritual designed to contain disease - and the body itself.

The discovery of this unusual, so-called "vampire burial" was made over the summer in the commune of Lugnano in Teverina in the Italian region of Umbria, where UA archaeologist David Soren has overseen archaeological excavations since 1987.

"I've never seen anything like it. It's extremely eerie and weird," said Soren, a Regents' Professor in the UA School of Anthropology and Department of Religious Studies and Classics. "Locally, they're calling it the 'Vampire of Lugnano.'"

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2018-10/uoa-br101118.php

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

we all know about garlic and a stake in the heart/body but what i find interesting is the practice of placing a rock in the mouth of a vampire. 1500 years latter they're doing the same in Eastern Europe. 

• Like 1

On 10/14/2018 at 7:41 AM, seanjo said:

I seem to remember reading that the rock in the mouth was to block the exit of the evil spirits from the mouth.

lol, like burying evil grandma face down !