Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Haunting of Hill House

Kittens Are Jerks

Just finished it last night, great series.

Also if you google something like "the haunting of hill house things you missed" a link will come up that shows a hidden ghost in almost every scene that you probably missed. It's crazy.

They speculate that alot of the hidden ghost was to create a feeling of unease, your subconscious would pick up that something is off but you couldn't be able to tell consciously what it is, that there is a slight hidden figure in the background.

It ended pretty concretly, they have room for a season two if they ever wanted though. People speculated that a season two could be a completely diffrent house and haunting, like the series would have a entirely diffrent story each season.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

https://m.eonline.com/news/980487/all-of-the-haunting-of-hill-house-theories-and-hidden-ghosts-we-can-t-stop-obsessing-over

Here is the link for all the hidden ghosties.

Also, how do I type in the way to avoid spoilers?

There is an eye icon in your toolbar at the top of your text box. That's the spoiler button.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

https://m.eonline.com/news/980487/all-of-the-haunting-of-hill-house-theories-and-hidden-ghosts-we-can-t-stop-obsessing-over

Here is the link for all the hidden ghosties.

Also, how do I type in the way to avoid spoilers?

Thank you for the link.

I can't believe how much I missed! Probably just as well though, as I agree with the theory in your earlier about the subconscious effect and feeling of unease. One thing that is obvious throughout is the presence of black mold (not a spoiler). Are the ghosts real? Are they hallucinations? Or are they a combination of both?

What I also missed was what was going on in the room behind the red door. The explanation is a major spoiler so I won't include it here, but suggest that people look it up AFTER they have watched the series.

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Thank you for the link.

I can't believe how much I missed! Probably just as well though, as I agree with the theory in your earlier about the subconscious effect and feeling of unease. One thing that is obvious throughout is the presence of black mold (not a spoiler). Are the ghosts real? Are they hallucinations? Or are they a combination of both?

What I also missed was what was going on in the room behind the red door. The explanation is a major spoiler so I won't include it here, but suggest that people look it up AFTER they have watched the series.

The three biggest suprises for me were 

Spoiler

1) nelly haunting herself ! Lol. I have never before seen a horror plot pull off someone haunting themselves.

2) abigal being the dudleys daughter. I just assumed the whole time she was a ghost Luke was talking too lol.

3) the tree house really just being the redroom. My face had the same look as Steve's when the dad told him the tree house wasent real lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spartan max2 said:

Reveal hidden contents

1) nelly haunting herself ! Lol. I have never before seen a horror plot pull off someone haunting themselves.

2) abigal being the dudleys daughter. I just assumed the whole time she was a ghost Luke was talking too lol.

3) the tree house really just being the redroom. My face had the same look as Steve's when the dad told him the tree house wasent real lol

Those were the three biggest twists for me too.

Have you read anything about the ending and the twist that almost was?

Apparently the director was toying with the idea of a quite dark and different ending altogether. The ending in the series is a hopeful one, but the director had initially toyed with the idea of making it seem that the hopefulness was an illusion, and that the family was actually trapped in the red room.

https://www.popbuzz.com/tv-film/news/the-haunting-of-hill-house-alternate-ending/

I don't know about you, but I would have preferred the dark red room ending, although happy endings are good too, especially after what they all went through.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 3:52 PM, spartan max2 said:

Hide contents

Yes that was soo well done, each of them. For the first one, once it was revealed, I actually clapped and said "Bravo" out loud with a smile on my face. Just awesome.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Yes that was soo well done, each of them. For the first one, once it was revealed, I actually clapped and said "Bravo" out loud with a smile on my face. Just awesome.

Out of those three, it was that first one that made me say "wow" lol

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Out of those three, it was that first one that made me say "wow" lol

It was, without question, brilliantly done. But the twist that ended up affecting me most was the second one on your list.

It is rare that you see the killing of a child in a movie or TV. It's an act so heinous that few viewers, including myself, would be able to stomach it. Up until the tea party in the room behind the red door, I (like most others) assumed Abigail was one of the ghosts. So when she drank the poisoned tea the impact of her 'death' wasn't so horrific because the assumption was that she was already dead. So it's interesting how they played that one.

• Like 1

@Kittens Are Jerks I watched this on your recommendation albeit reluctantly because this kind of checked all the boxes of things that keep me up at night. My verdict 10/10. It was really well done.

• Like 3

My love and I binge watched it over a couple nights during the Halloween holiday. Well done. Tight writing and production. Nice mental and real creepy, drama and twists.

A fun thing for folks that have already watched it through once and might fancy another viewing.

Spoiler

There are ghosts hidden through the entire thing. Faces in cabinet doors, people standing down the hall close and far, feet dangling below drapery. That sort of thing. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

@Kittens Are Jerks I watched this on your recommendation albeit reluctantly because this kind of checked all the boxes of things that keep me up at night. My verdict 10/10. It was really well done.

Yeah, it definitely checks the box of things that keep one up at night. It was so creepy! So glad you found it worth the risk!

On 10/13/2018 at 7:12 PM, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I finally finished all 10 episodes, and have to admit the series left me emotionally drained. All of the episodes were outstanding, but episode 5 was the real killer emotionally. Not surprisingly, several reviewers felt the same way:

Here's a good review from GQ
https://www.gq.com/story/the-haunting-of-hill-house-is-the-first-great-horror-tv-series

im on ep 8... but ya 5 was AMAZING!

• Like 2

I heard about this show on DM. As I was reading some of the comments how this show "scared" people who watched it in The UK. Some of the comments said it wasn't scary and a snore. I'm not into "scary" stuff like this (I like scary stuff until a certain point lol) so this would probably give me nightmares.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Princess Serenity said:

I heard about this show on DM. As I was reading some of the comments how this show "scared" people who watched it in The UK. Some of the comments said it wasn't scary and a snore. I'm not into "scary" stuff like this (I like scary stuff until a certain point lol) so this would probably give me nightmares.

It's without question a bit of a slow burn. But it's beautifully done with a surprising amount of subtle (and very creepy) activity in the background. Is the movie scary? Horror's don't scare me, so I wouldn't be the one to ask. But it most definitely is creepy, and parts might definitely give people nightmares.

Sounds really good, I did not read the hidden content...gonna try and find a way to watch it. Just in case anyone is interested,  my 23 year old niece just bought this board game called Betrayl at the House on the Hill. It's sort of like Dungeons and Dragons but with a horror house theme. Every time you play you can get a different scenario. We enjoyed it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skliss said:

Sounds really good, I did not read the hidden content...gonna try and find a way to watch it. Just in case anyone is interested,  my 23 year old niece just bought this board game called Betrayl at the House on the Hill. It's sort of like Dungeons and Dragons but with a horror house theme. Every time you play you can get a different scenario. We enjoyed it.

I looked up the board game and it sounds like fun. I like the idea of being able to create your own haunted house room by room. Thanks for telling us about it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I looked up the board game and it sounds like fun. I like the idea of being able to create your own haunted house room by room. Thanks for telling us about it.

You can get it on Amazon but I found it at both Target and Walmart....cheapest being WalMart at $33. I bought it for my college son for Christmas. Shhhhhh....he and his friends enjoy D & D and I thought this would be fun for them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skliss said:

You can get it on Amazon but I found it at both Target and Walmart....cheapest being WalMart at $33. I bought it for my college son for Christmas. Shhhhhh....he and his friends enjoy D & D and I thought this would be fun for them.

I found it at a games and toys store this morning. I wasted no time as it will soon become impossible to find anything once people get into their Christmas shopping. At $46.95 before taxes, it's more expensive than Walmart's price, but worth it. It will be great to have it at the cottage for weekends when there's no snow to play in. Thanks again for the recommendation. I'm sure your son and his friends will enjoy it. I'm sure I will too, provided my brothers don't gang up on me like they always do.

• Like 1

I just finished the series and I really liked it! It's not your typical cookie cutter horror/suspense tv series. But one thing that puzzles me is that it was not clear how the mom in the story became like that. So was she haunted? Was it just a figment of her imagination? Did she really have a mental illness? Or what? 

I also found out that this tv series is actually from a book called The Haunting of Hill House. I read some spoilers on Wikipedia and apparently, it's not really true to the book and there were many changes.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, yeplid said:

I just finished the series and I really liked it! It's not your typical cookie cutter horror/suspense tv series. But one thing that puzzles me is that it was not clear how the mom in the story became like that. So was she haunted? Was it just a figment of her imagination? Did she really have a mental illness? Or what? 

I also found out that this tv series is actually from a book called The Haunting of Hill House. I read some spoilers on Wikipedia and apparently, it's not really true to the book and there were many changes.

It's hard to say with any certainty what happened to any of them. It could have been a result of the haunting, mental illness,  hallucinations caused by the black mold, or a combination of those factors. In the case of the mother:

On the surface, it appears that the house convinces her that the only way to save her children is by killing them. The house also tricks her into killing herself. Later when the children return to the house as adults, their mother is there and traps them in the red room so that they cannot leave.

However, it is implied that the mother suffered from mental illness (schizophrenia) prior to moving into the house and some of the cast members have stated that the series uses horror as a metaphor for mental illness. So yes, it's very confusing as to what really went on, but I think mental illness is the primary undercurrent.