Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Haunting of Hill House

Kittens Are Jerks

The Haunting of Hill House has been adapted into film twice, but in this new TV series, the focus shifts from the events at Hill House to the lasting impact they had on the children who lived there. It's a slow-burn character study, more of a psychological than supernatural thriller, but that is not to suggest that it does not have the elements of traditional horror. The supernatural elements are very much present and spine-chillingly creepy.

I've been binge watching it this morning, and although just halfway through, I've already decided that it's the best horror series I have ever watched.

Synopsis: Flashing between past and present, a fractured family confronts haunting memories of their old home and the terrifying events that drove them from it.

More information: https://www.netflix.com/ca/title/80189221

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Sounds interesting.   

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tcgram said:

Sounds interesting.   

I finally finished all 10 episodes, and have to admit the series left me emotionally drained. All of the episodes were outstanding, but episode 5 was the real killer emotionally. Not surprisingly, several reviewers felt the same way:

Here's a good review from GQ
https://www.gq.com/story/the-haunting-of-hill-house-is-the-first-great-horror-tv-series

• Like 1

Haven't seen it yet, but read the Shirley Jackson novel, years ago. You should check out Richard Matheson's book and movie, Hell House.

• Like 2

I just finished episode 5. I absolutely love it so far. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

I just finished episode 5. I absolutely love it so far. 

I don't want to write much (even in a spoiler) so that I don't ruin it for anyone, but wasn't the part in episode 5 where Nell 'drops' through time heartbreaking?

It was brilliantly done, and something I totally did not see coming.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I don't want to write much (even in a spoiler) so that I don't ruin it for anyone, but wasn't the part in episode 5 where Nell 'drops' through time heartbreaking?

It was brilliantly done, and something I totally did not see coming.

Oh I take it back, I think I'm just finished episode 4. So far it's all brillant to me haha.

Did it look like to you that there wI'll be a season 2 or is it a 1 and done ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Oh I take it back, I think I'm just finished episode 4. So far it's all brillant to me haha.

Did it look like to you that there wI'll be a season 2 or is it a 1 and done ?

The first five episodes are each told from the perspective of one of the siblings (which you've no doubt already picked up on). Episode 5 is about Nell and the bent-neck lady. There's one sequence in it that totally blew my mind. In Episode 6, all the siblings are brought together. Apparently the scenes in the funeral home were done in two 18 minute takes, which is quite impressive when you see how it plays out.

I don't think there will be a season two. It's just a 10-episode season one and done.

The children are incredibly talented, aren't they? Especially the two little ones who play the twins Nell and Luke.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

The first five episodes are each told from the perspective of one of the siblings (which you've no doubt already picked up on). Episode 5 is about Nell and the bent-neck lady. There's one sequence in it that totally blew my mind. In Episode 6, all the siblings are brought together. Apparently the scenes in the funeral home were done in two 18 minute takes, which is quite impressive when you see how it plays out.

I don't think there will be a season two. It's just a 10-episode season one and done.

The children are incredibly talented, aren't they? Especially the two little ones who play the twins Nell and Luke.

Yeah the acting has been great, especially for those two. They play some wide emotions for little kids.

• Like 1

Loved it. Absolutely loved it. I haven't been so impressed with a single season story since American horror story season 2. Highly recommend.

• Like 2

This is just a fictional TV show, it should be put back where it was originally posted.

57 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

This is just a fictional TV show, it should be put back where it was originally posted.

Where did it get moved?

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

I asked that this topic thread be moved from the general Movies, Music, Books & Television Shows section because this section is meant to house all subjects related to the paranormal, fictional or otherwise. It's where it should be.

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

I asked that this topic thread be moved from the general Movies, Music, Books & Television Shows section because this section is meant to house all subjects related to the paranormal, fictional or otherwise. It's where it should be.

Well you started it, so fair enough. Just thought it would get more traffic where it was. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Well you started it, so fair enough. Just thought it would get more traffic where it was. 

Not sure which section gets more traffic, but thanks for being concerned about that.

It was a really good series wasn't it. Wish they made more like it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Not sure which section gets more traffic, but thanks for being concerned about that.

It was a really good series wasn't it. Wish they made more like it.

It was awesome. Renewed my faith that it’s still possible to make good horror shows. 

• Like 3

So I take it they wanted to avoid paying license to the title of House on Haunted Hill since that's pretty much what the title says but in a reverse weird way

8 minutes ago, NightScreams said:

So I take it they wanted to avoid paying license to the title of House on Haunted Hill since that's pretty much what the title says but in a reverse weird way

No, the series has nothing to do with House on Haunted Hill.

It is based on Shirley Jackson's Gothic horror novel The Haunting of Hill House.

Easy to understand, given the similarity in titles, why it might get confusing.

I started watching it last night after reading this thread.. Two episodes in and really enjoying it, great TV shows are few and far between especially good horrors. 

• Like 1

Me and the gf are about to binge some more episodes tonight :D

• Like 1

15 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Me and the gf are about to binge some more episodes tonight :D

Too scared to watch it alone huh. (jk) Let us know what you think when you've finished the series.

I might have to watch it again at some point. In viewing a few videos on YouTube explaining various aspects of the story, I came across the following clip and realised I had totally missed a certain scary detail. I now suspect I probably missed several throughout.

It's okay to watch the clip by the way. It doesn't contain any spoilers.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Too scared to watch it alone huh. (jk) Let us know what you think when you've finished the series.

I might have to watch it again at some point. In viewing a few videos on YouTube explaining various aspects of the story, I came across the following clip and realised I had totally missed a certain scary detail. I now suspect I probably missed several throughout.

It's okay to watch the clip by the way. It doesn't contain any spoilers.

Oh wow, I totally missed that during the first watch too.

I am now up to episode 7. That episode 5 twist with nells was brillant!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I am now up to episode 7. That episode 5 twist with nells was brillant!

There's one other small twist involving the children that's equally sad. I was so fooled leading up to it that I didn't really react until later.

A number of viewers have made an interesting observation about the series. The five siblings each represent one of the five stages of grief — denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance — and that each of their stories is told in that exact order. If you look back at their stories, it all fits.

• Like 3