Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Federal marijuana law reform on the agenda

The Caspian Hare

https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/white-house-to-unveil-federal-cannabis-reform-very-soon-says-gop-lawmaker

The White House is planning on tackling cannabis reform after the midterm elections, according to Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, R-Calif.

Rohrabacher tells FOX Business that the Trump administration has made a “solid commitment” to fix marijuana regulation.

“I have been talking to people inside the White House who know and inside the president’s entourage... I have talked to them at length. I have been reassured that the president intends on keeping his campaign promise.”

Rohrabacher says the president has spoken in support of legalizing medical marijuana on the federal level – and leaving the question of recreational marijuana use up to the states.

I wonder how they will demonize him for this?

Oh well, Its good to see at least some common sense trying to break through when it comes to the "war on drugs"

• Like 5

It's a step, but I won't be happy till it's 100% legal on federal and all state levels, we've lived in the marijuana prohibition dark ages long enough. 

• Thanks 1

Considering how relatively benign weed is, I don't see why it's illegal and alcohol isn't.  I won't smoke it for the same reasons I don't drink, but it should be legalized.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Wickian said:

Considering how relatively benign weed is, I don't see why it's illegal and alcohol isn't.  I won't smoke it for the same reasons I don't drink, but it should be legalized.

There are studies that show it's not so benign, especially to the teen brain:

From a study by the American Psychology Association:

What's clear, however, is that marijuana's signature high comes from a psychoactive component known as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). And evidence is mounting, says Weiss, that THC is not risk-free.

In the short term, marijuana use has been shown to impair functions such as attention, memory, learning and decision-making. Those effects can last for days after the high wears off. Heavy marijuana use in adolescence or early adulthood has been associated with a dismal set of life outcomes including poor school performance, higher dropout rates, increased welfare dependence, greater unemployment and lower life satisfaction.

The team found that persistent marijuana use was linked to a decline in IQ, even after the researchers controlled for educational differences. The most persistent users — those who reported using the drug in three or more waves of the study — experienced a drop in neuropsychological functioning equivalent to about six IQ points (PNAS, 2012). "That's in the same realm as what you'd see with lead exposure," says Weiss. "It's not a trifle."

There are some reasons to think that adolescents may be uniquely susceptible to lasting damage from marijuana use. At least until the early or mid-20s, "the brain is still under construction," says Staci Gruber, PhD, a neuroscientist and director of the Cognitive and Clinical Neuroimaging Core and the Marijuana Investigations for Neuroscientific Discovery (MIND) Program at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School. During this period of neurodevelopment, the brain is thought to be particularly sensitive to damage from drug exposure. And the frontal cortex — the region critical to planning, judgment, decision-making and personality — is one of the last areas to fully develop, Gruber says.

Indeed, a number of studies have found evidence of brain changes in teens and young adults who smoke marijuana. In 2013, Rocío Martín-Santos, MD, PhD, at the University of Barcelona, and colleagues reviewed 43 studies of chronic cannabis use and the brain. They found consistent evidence of both structural brain abnormalities and altered neural activity in marijuana users. 

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2015/11/marijuana-brain.aspx

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Heh, 4 days and counting down in B.C. The only sad part is, it will be buds only in the govt walk-in dispensaries. No concentrates for awhile. Personally,  I think the walk-ins will take a beating by the online dispensaries because of this. That's who I do business  with. Vaping cannabis is the best way to dose without that, " I think I ate to many gummies and I'm too stoned" problem. The effect is almost instant and you can stop once you've reached your desired level without the mild overstoned effect. I hope Trump keeps his word because there are billions to be made and it would make border crossing a little less unpleasant.

Hank

• Like 2

4 hours ago, skliss said:

There are studies that show it's not so benign, especially to the teen brain:

From a study by the American Psychology Association:

What's clear, however, is that marijuana's signature high comes from a psychoactive component known as tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). And evidence is mounting, says Weiss, that THC is not risk-free.

In the short term, marijuana use has been shown to impair functions such as attention, memory, learning and decision-making. Those effects can last for days after the high wears off. Heavy marijuana use in adolescence or early adulthood has been associated with a dismal set of life outcomes including poor school performance, higher dropout rates, increased welfare dependence, greater unemployment and lower life satisfaction.

The team found that persistent marijuana use was linked to a decline in IQ, even after the researchers controlled for educational differences. The most persistent users — those who reported using the drug in three or more waves of the study — experienced a drop in neuropsychological functioning equivalent to about six IQ points (PNAS, 2012). "That's in the same realm as what you'd see with lead exposure," says Weiss. "It's not a trifle."

There are some reasons to think that adolescents may be uniquely susceptible to lasting damage from marijuana use. At least until the early or mid-20s, "the brain is still under construction," says Staci Gruber, PhD, a neuroscientist and director of the Cognitive and Clinical Neuroimaging Core and the Marijuana Investigations for Neuroscientific Discovery (MIND) Program at McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School. During this period of neurodevelopment, the brain is thought to be particularly sensitive to damage from drug exposure. And the frontal cortex — the region critical to planning, judgment, decision-making and personality — is one of the last areas to fully develop, Gruber says.

Indeed, a number of studies have found evidence of brain changes in teens and young adults who smoke marijuana. In 2013, Rocío Martín-Santos, MD, PhD, at the University of Barcelona, and colleagues reviewed 43 studies of chronic cannabis use and the brain. They found consistent evidence of both structural brain abnormalities and altered neural activity in marijuana users. 

https://www.apa.org/monitor/2015/11/marijuana-brain.aspx

I did some online IQ tests and mine rose two points to 118 compared to 15 years ago. I have been a med. cannabis consumer for 25 years and recreational for another ten. Like most things human, your results will vary person to person. I have operated heavy equipment, chainsaws, worked with helicopters, flying thousands of cords of cedar blocks, all while being a foreman on a twenty man crew.  I had a perfect safety record before I broke my back as a passenger in a car accident. That's when cannabis became medical for me, not just recreational. The best part was the owner of the company had no problem with me using cannabis as I was making him quite wealthy. That and I told him I would have to quit because pain pills  slowed my reflexes and hurt my stomach. I guess it's just going to take time for the pearl clutchers to realize it's not the demon they think it is.

Hank

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bringing back the good old days ...

~

[00.13:43]

~

• Like 3

For those of you who may be thinking of trying it, there are two main types of cannabis. Sativa, and indica.  Sativa will give you an energetic bouncy stone that is great for concerts, dancing, or any outdoor activities. Sativa is the culprit that causes folks to visit the hospital with the jitters after they imbibed in to many edibles. Used responsibly it increases awareness, magnifies all your senses, and gives you a healthy appetite.

Indica, on the other hand, is a heavy, pain killing, relaxing stone that lends to cerebral conversations, good music, and an even better sleep. Because of these qualities, I believe indica is best for the first timers. There is very little chance of getting the jitters (anxiety) if you smoke or vape indica dominant breeds.

There are many, many hybrids of both sativa and indica out there and are fast becoming the most popular among users. Most good dispensaries have labels showing the percentages so you can make an informed decision. When trying a hybrid for the first time, use small amounts to gradually find your sweet spot.

Use sensibly and use safely,

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter
Clarity
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

People's first impression of me when we meet face-to-face is that of an old hippie biker.  I've never owned a motorcycle nor have I done any kind of drugs.  When I tell people this, they roll their eyes and say, 'oh sure" to themselves.  I never smoked marijuana or anything else for that matter.  To me smoking is the the most disgusting habit Man has ever devised.  I am more tolerant of Marijuana smoke than cigarette.  And I'd rather have people smoke (I they have to smoke) marijuana.  I'm all for legalizing marijuana at the federal level and leave it up to the states.  It is a dangerous drug and people need to approach its use responsibly.  I do not believe that people should be thrown into jail for toking.  I do have an interest in CBD oil.  It has been highly recommended to me for join health but because it is an extract of a schedule 1 drug, I can't take it because I am part of the Military Industrial Complex.  I know the specs on CBD and I know that asinine adherence to law in this case is causing more harm.  But given that, it should be left up to one's employer as to how it limits its employees to using this drug.  I think those like Hank are the exception but it is really up to the uniqueness of each individual.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I wonder how they will demonize him for this?

Oh well, Its good to see at least some common sense trying to break through when it comes to the "war on drugs"

Thus far this administration has acted completely opposite of one that is moving towards legalization, complete with creating their own anti marijuana propaganda department.

I fear reform may not mean what we're hoping it does but i will tip my hat for sure if it does.

Edited by Farmer77

Oh hell. Notice who is saying this:

I would expect after the election we will sit down and we’ll start hammering out something that is specific and real,” he said.

The California congressman, who is up for re-election this November, is battling to hold onto a seat that national Democrats have identified as part of their strategy to win the House majority this midterm election. 

A Californian who is currently up for reelection, of course he's gonna say the party he is tied to is gonna do something popular. The celebrations seem quite premature at this point.

Edited by Farmer77

Some perspective on this story

The White House Allegedly Has A Marijuana Smear Squad. Cannabis Experts Say Bring It On

According to the report, the White House's so-called Marijuana Policy Coordination Committee instructed leaders at the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) and 14 other federal agencies last month to submit data "demonstrating the most significant negative trends" in cannabis use and legalization efforts.

Sessions terminates US policy that let legal pot flourish

Now it could be that (once again) the administration makes a 180 (360 at this point maybe?) but this sure seems like electioneering to me.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

The White House has been entertaining demonizers for ages ...

~

The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

~

~

Edited by third_eye
added link
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Farmer77 said:

Some perspective on this story

The White House Allegedly Has A Marijuana Smear Squad. Cannabis Experts Say Bring It On

Sessions terminates US policy that let legal pot flourish

Now it could be that (once again) the administration makes a 180 (360 at this point maybe?) but this sure seems like electioneering to me.

Umm.. in regards Sessions.. wouldn't it be fairer to say that he is enforcing federal law against secessionist states who's state policy conflicts with federal law ? 

• Like 2

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Umm.. in regards Sessions.. wouldn't it be fairer to say that he is enforcing federal law against secessionist states who's state policy conflicts with federal law ? 

Only if you think the previous administrations actions are wholly irrelevant. When given the choice of following the previous administrations lead, fully legalizing or throwing the industry's short term future in doubt they chose the latter.  Its looking at it in that light that makes me believe this is most likely campaign fodder and not much more.

Hey hopefully im wrong.

5 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Only if you think the previous administrations actions are wholly irrelevant. When given the choice of following the previous administrations lead, fully legalizing or throwing the industry's short term future in doubt they chose the latter.  Its looking at it in that light that makes me believe this is most likely campaign fodder and not much more.

Hey hopefully im wrong.

Hmm.... I take your point. But would "clamping down" on marijuana REALLY be a big election winner ? I would have thought it would be quite the opposite ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

17 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmm.... I take your point. But would "clamping down" on marijuana REALLY be a big election winner ? I would have thought it would be quite the opposite ? 

Clamping down definitely would not be a big election winner for the voters but a huge one for special interests (pharmaceutical, religious, alcohol, prison industrial complex) .  Thats why I think the story in the OP is most likely simply misinformation.

Edited by Farmer77

Just now, Farmer77 said:

Clamping down definitely would not be a big election winner for the voters but a huge one for special interests.  Thats why I think the story in the OP is most likely simply misinformation.

Well.... ummm.. that's a bit confusing. Are you suggesting that the Trump administration is going to clamp down on marijuana, in order to appease some "special interests", even if it loses him votes ? 

That doesn't seem to make sense ?  

• Like 1

Its called 'laying out the spread' before the wheeling and dealing that leads to the handshakes and back stabs

~

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Are you suggesting that the Trump administration is going to clamp down on marijuana, in order to appease some "special interests", even if it loses him votes ? 

LOL no what im saying is the administration has been quietly clamping down through actions like the formation of their propaganda group and ordering federal attorneys to ignore Obama era guidelines and this effort at claiming they'll change in the future is simply an attempt at garnering a few votes they may have lost otherwise. Remember the OP is based on statements from a California republican who is fighting for his position.

Personally I fear that the formation of the propaganda group by the administration  and the directive for agencies to find any marijuana horror stories they can are the first steps in creating some sort of a panic among the gullible in an attempt to ramp up support for an actual crackdown.

Edited by Farmer77

35 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Well.... ummm.. that's a bit confusing. Are you suggesting that the Trump administration is going to clamp down on marijuana, in order to appease some "special interests", even if it loses him votes ? 

That doesn't seem to make sense ?  

I think what he is saying is that it's no coincidence this is coming up before midterms.  It's just a ploy to try and win the "marijuana vote" with no real plan to legalize at all.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

LOL no what im saying is the administration has been quietly clamping down through actions like the formation of their propaganda group and ordering federal attorneys to ignore Obama era guidelines and this effort at claiming they'll change in the future is simply an attempt at garnering a few votes they may have lost otherwise. Remember the OP is based on statements from a California republican who is fighting for his position.

Personally I fear that the formation of the propaganda group by the administration  and the directive for agencies to find any marijuana horror stories they can are the first steps in creating some sort of a panic among the gullible in an attempt to ramp up support for an actual crackdown.

28 minutes ago, Agent0range said:

I think what he is saying is that it's no coincidence this is coming up before midterms.  It's just a ploy to try and win the "marijuana vote" with no real plan to legalize at all.

But.. this does not make sense. If a Republican in California wanted to improve his vote, he would be promising to vote FOR marijuana, not AGAINST it. So the previously mentioned 'plot' to denigrate marijuana makes no sense.