Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are we all political bigots?

Eldorado

At long last, researchers have discovered something that liberals and conservatives have in common — neither wants to hear opposing viewpoints, not even if a cash incentive is involved.
This disheartening phenomenon is known in psychology circles as selective exposure, which leads us to avoid information that contradicts strongly held pre-existing viewpoints.

Selective exposure also causes people to seek information that reinforces said opinions, like hanging out with like-minded people or consuming news media that traditionally lean in the same direction.

University of Illinois and University of Winnipeg researchers released the findings via a paper published in the Journal of Experimental Social Psychology. Across five studies, they presented both conservatives and liberals with statements about hot-button topics like climate change, guns, abortion, elections and same-sex marriage.

A stunning two-thirds of the participants outright rejected the opportunity to receive money simply for reading political statements that didn't jibe with their own opinions. (The amount was $10.)

Full short article: https://science.howstuffworks.com/life/inside-the-mind/human-brain/even-cold-hard-cash-isnt-enough-incentive-listen-opposing-views.htm

The Paper: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022103116304024

Sad, is it not? :(

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Not.. not sad at all. Just human nature :)

Wilful ignorance is sad, I reckon.  Human nature or not.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, XenoFish said:

Switch the word politics with religion and you get the same results.

Yeah.. right.. but then.. switch the word "politics" with the phrase "football support" and you get the same results. 

It's just part of tribalism, which is an essential feature of human nature. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Yeah.. right.. but then.. switch the word "politics" with the phrase "football support" and you get the same results. 

It's just part of tribalism, which is an essential feature of human nature. 

Very much true. 

• Thanks 3

Maybe I'm different than most, 'cause I'm not settled on anything. That seems to confuse people.
Like @Dejarma who wont stop confronting me with my favorite TOE*, although I'm not obliged to it. For me science isn't a "this or that" thing. It's an ongoing process that holds many possible conclusions. Just because you favor one conclusion, doesn't mean you dislike or reject the others. In politics I also see pros and cons on both wings. In short you could say that I am open to all options always, except maybe a rare few* that I don't find tangible in any sense.

* TOE = Theory of Everything (or "model of reality")
* rare few: Like "flat earth" or the biblical/quran god

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

In short you could say that I am open to all options

Who isn't in here?

You talk & argue your points regarding your computer simulation theory as if you believe it to be fact! --And when you're confronted you say you don't believe by putting forward illogical statements like:

No, it's not a belief. It's my favorite model of reality

if you mean this is your kinda fantasy model of reality then sure, OK why not... But it doesn't feel like that IMO (& to most, i'd suggest) going by your rebuttals....

That's how you come across to me- that's all I'm saying.. Cheers.

Peace.

dej.

16 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

You talk & argue your points regarding your computer simulation theory as if you believe it to be fact!

No, I defend the parts of it that are defensible, not because I believe them to be facts, but because they are possible.

Peace 2U2 ;)

Edited by sci-nerd

Which is why we need to stop identifying in groups and instead just identify as individuals. You don't have to side with anyone else. Same for races, we would be better off in the long run to just identify as humans instead of race and integrate and open up all culture so everyone can pool their preferences from them without being judged or having to be a part of that specific race with accusations of this appropriation BS.

Edited by NightScreams
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Loyalty is an overrated concept, because it is not a virtue but an indication of stubbornness and blind faith.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Loyalty is an overrated concept, because it is not a virtue but an indication of stubbornness and blind faith.

you're loyal to your theory of a computer-generated reality... or are you not?

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

you're loyal to your theory of a computer-generated reality... or are you not?

No, but it is defensible because it is very probable to be true.

THe question is and remains, is truth more important or crucial than trust

~

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

No, but it is defensible because it is very probable to be true.

to you it's defensible but to me it's possible, yes, but highly unlikely....

having said that- who really knows? I don't, that's for sure.

IMO life is very simple= you're unborn for x amount of trillions of years/ you're born/ you live whatever life you live & become unborn again= for me that's reality......nothing has been proved otherwise- & why is this? -- because life is simple;)

Edited by Dejarma

3 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

A person with no loyalty is a person with no honor.

11 minutes ago, White-Coyote said:

Those without honor have nothing to lose.

• Like 2

Lol it's weird I hear ooh tribalism. Well yes that has been the standard model for human existence for thousands of years. It's intrinsically where we feel safest (whether its good for us or not). People have fear of being alone, they want to belong to something. Political parties, fraternities, sororities, clubs, cliques, religions, it's all replacement for our tribal origins. Then you couldn't just decide (nor would you) to go join some other tribe because more than likely they would kill you. Survival has altered us over a millennia to be joiners. And what happens if you can't successfully navigate being part of a group? (Loneliness, homelessness, easily picked off by predators). We're going thru something right now obviously, in the world where that ancient tribalism is now taking the form of extremism and polarization. It's what got us to the brink during the Cold War, World wars, civil War. Fear and wanting to belong to something. Not much changes.

• Like 2

On 10/13/2018 at 7:40 PM, White-Coyote said:

Honour is just a fancy word used to elicit behaviour in others.

• Like 5

On 14.10.2018 at 3:14 AM, third_eye said:

THe question is and remains, is truth more important or crucial than trust

~

The mind cannot perceive the truth because it has a supramental source, therefore the person accepts fragments of thoughts and forms a point of view for himself in which he believes. The mind is not an instrument of knowledge but only an organizer of knowledge.Even if a person does not have knowledge, he still has some point of view, even the wrong one, because the mind does not like ignorance.(And you can’t believe politicians at all)

• Thanks 1

On 10/16/2018 at 6:44 PM, Podo said:

Honour is just a fancy word used to elicit behaviour in others.

The political bigot in me thinks you must be a Democrat. :D

I am not politically inclined, in a certain sense I see it the same as organized religion, law or justice. Most of it is an illusion but does serve a purpose in creating a form of comfort and maintaining a social balance of sorts.

Politicians  will do what they will ďo whether the silent majority approve or not so I don't bother nor do I care.

jmccr8 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, White-Coyote said:

The political bigot in me thinks you must be a Democrat. :D

I'm not a democrat, I'm Canadian. To me, both your country's political parties are groups of corrupt right-wing idiots. 

Edited by Podo
  • Like 2