Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hawking feared rise of enhanced 'superhumans'

UM-Bot

I was just reading about this. I think it's a real possibility, even inevitable, a next step in human evolution. This would cause problems, but in the end may be beneficial to the human race.

1 hour ago, StarMountainKid said:

a next step in human evolution

It would not be evolution if it's done with genetic manipulation (CRISPR fx.). Evolution is a random process deriving from natural genetic mutations.

And I don't get it!? Who do some of the greatest minds of our time fear things like super humans or robots? Why not fear a religious world war? An asteroid? A pandemic? Nuclear Holocaust? Why "super humans" and robots?! That is so lame!

12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

It would not be evolution if it's done with genetic manipulation (CRISPR fx.). Evolution is a random process deriving from natural genetic mutations.

And I don't get it!? Who do some of the greatest minds of our time fear things like super humans or robots? Why not fear a religious world war? An asteroid? A pandemic? Nuclear Holocaust? Why "super humans" and robots?! That is so lame!

"Evolution" in a broader sense.

7 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Because a nuclear or religious war are only man made, they are not a natural occurance, so if this lot:

a future in which wealthy individuals might choose to have themselves and their children genetically enhanced

gained  power and took the reins over a religious or nuclear war, then that really would be something to fear.

The wealthy super humans would not care about the 'little' people, if anything, they would want them off this planet, they would not even need them as slaves as they will have their super robots. 

I think wealthy super humans are already in charge and always have been. . 

Just because someone is artificially genetically enhanced doesn't automatically mean they'd be in charge. Look at all the incredibly smart people who definitely are NOT in charge. Wealth (which one is born into 95% of the time) is what decides who rules. Sure, the wealthy could use eugenics and genetic manipulation, but...Again...It's the material wealth that puts them in charge, not having higher IQ's or enhanced immune systems, etc.

Edited by Seti42

Everything you ever need to know you can learn from Star Trek. This is the lesson of Khan Noonien Singh.

• Haha 1

Attack robots, AI, looming environmental catastrophes, insanity in the White House, now this. Let's just get it over with already. Let the roaches have it.

Edited by DirtyDocMartens
Expansion of examples

I find it funny that a guy with such a severe disability would think preventing his condition by upgrading the genetics of the population is a bad thing.

Bearing in mind he also acknowledges that there will be alien civilizations which are a threat to us how does he propose we deal with them? If we arent allowed to dramatically increase our intelligence levels using genetic engineering then what hope is there for us?

I think what he is really against is a new class society emerging not genetic modifications.

19 hours ago, freetoroam said:

Because a nuclear or religious war are only man made, they are not a natural occurance, so if this lot:

gained  power and took the reins over a religious or nuclear war, then that really would be something to fear.

The wealthy super humans would not care about the 'little' people, if anything, they would want them off this planet, they would not even need them as slaves as they will have their super robots. 

Everything is natural.

So Hawking watched Star Trek TOS Space Seed and STII - The Wrath of Kahn.  Are the papers dated to see who that of it first?  Roddenberry or Hawking?

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Everything is natural.

I  see tornados and extreme weather and volcanic eruptions etc etc as natural disasters, man made war for what ever reason is not natural. Although some may see greed and the want of power to be a natural part of humans, they do not have to be. There is nothing natural about wanting to bomb our fellow man or blow up a whole city with a nuclear bomb. 

5 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I  see tornados and extreme weather and volcanic eruptions etc etc as natural disasters, man made war for what ever reason is not natural. Although some may see greed and the want of power to be a natural part of humans, they do not have to be. There is nothing natural about wanting to bomb our fellow man or blow up a whole city with a nuclear bomb. 

We are nature, nature is everything.

I like Hawking, his wheels never stopped turning. Well until....

we should be looking forward enhancing , not be afraid of it.   we are degenerating now, not improving, we are lazy obese, sick. we have self destructive habits, and make a lot of wrong choices. we need to modify  us to survive toxic air\water\food, health destroying lifestyles, i'm not even talking about mental conditions,  if we can fix that by genetic engineering, i'm all for it