Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

U-boat wreck is dubbed 'underwater Chernobyl'

UM-Bot

OK, This has been known for 15 years that a incident will happen and now they are just starting to consider a plan.  Anyone else think this is a long time to think about thinking about the issue?

MONEY!! As long as they could put it off nobody had to pay for it. It is a little like a pot hole in a community road. Until someone offers to sue them it is allowed to just grow.

Why is Norway on the hook  to cap and secure this mercury hazard, if it was 60 tons of gold you know Germany would be quick to claim it.  They should pay for and clean up this future hazard.

Yeah this is definitely going to come around and bite us in the ****. Correct me if I'm wrong, but entombing the mercury-filled wreck is literally just postponing the problem to a later date, not to mention making a less destructive resolution even harder to find.

Just now, jgamble said:

Why is Norway on the hook  to cap and secure this mercury hazard, if it was 60 tons of gold you know Germany would be quick to claim it.  They should pay for and clean up this future hazard.

If I recall, Germany did claim a large quantity of Mercury recovered from a lost submarine in the Malaysian area, in fairly recent times.

I feel there may be a legal issue over this brought against the Royal Navy and British government by Germany in the ECJ. They'll claim the Royal Navy sank it and severely damaged the craft's structure in the process, and are therefore responsible for the disaster to fishing and poisoning of the whole EU and Russia. In the current political climate England will get the clean up bill, compensation bill, the legal bill, and fined heavily for cruelty to fish.

Currently, Norway are planning, to engulf the sub in sand and gravel, to encase it.
A bit like Tjernobyl....

On 10/15/2018 at 6:59 PM, jgamble said:

Mercury has a market value.  Salvage it?

Doug