Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Bloodhound supersonic car 'in administration'

11 posts in this topic

Still Waters

The project to race a car at over 1,000mph has run into a financial roadblock with the company behind the venture going into administration.

The Bloodhound supersonic vehicle is all but built but needs a £25m investment if it is to break records on a dried-out lakebed in South Africa.

The administrators, FRP Advisory LLP, have already begun to talk to potential suitors and want to hear from others.

But without the funds the project faces being wound up in the coming weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45838994

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/312061-bloodhound-supersonic-car-fires-up-jet-engine

• Like 2

Vlad the Mighty

this is one of those things that I've always thought... what's the point? It's hardly going to advance mainstream technology is it. 

• Like 1

IBelieveWhatIWant
3 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

this is one of those things that I've always thought... what's the point? It's hardly going to advance mainstream technology is it. 

I don't know, they might develop some method that could be used in space travel. That said, I'm not surprised they are having issues because the fact is that with friction, unless the car takes off there will always be a limit to how fast it can go on the ground.

L.A.T.1961

It will be a shame if it comes to nothing after all the effort. Having said that driver Andy Green might be breathing a sigh of relief. In the past new records have been about being the best although useful things have come from associated developments. 

One example was the Supermarine racing seaplane designed by Mitchell, his experience with this project lead to the Spitfire used by the RAF and came in quite useful in ww2.

Edited by L.A.T.1961
spelling
  • Like 1

Jon the frog

Look like a lot of people got their pocket full... and their pocket were to big for the project to survive.

• Like 1

Seti42

If money is to be spent on speeding up land travel, it should be towards trains/mass transit of some sort, not a single passenger rocket car.

• Like 1

Aardvark-DK

Since the dawn of motoring, people have always tried to go faster, and I salute that.
Question is, when they hit the friction limit...

I sure hope they overcome their difficulties....

Berwen

Why? Can I get from Vancouver to London any faster and improve the lousy air travel we have now? Will it sped up the wait times for medical help? No, I think not so why do this? 

smokeycat
On 16/10/2018 at 3:22 PM, Berwen said:

Why? Can I get from Vancouver to London any faster and improve the lousy air travel we have now? Will it sped up the wait times for medical help? No, I think not so why do this? 

Why not?

Isn't that what makes us Human?

seanjo
On 15/10/2018 at 5:44 PM, Vlad the Mighty said:

You never know what technological hurdles they are having to overcome, this is the kind of thing that leads to breakthroughs. It's also very good for the moral of the Country, like sports successes.

• Like 1

Occams Razor

People will only keep putting money in the pot for so long. If they don't see any tangible results in what they consider a reasonable time they'll pull the plug. Especially if they see the main players in the project living the high life on their cash.