Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bloodhound supersonic car 'in administration'

Still Waters

The project to race a car at over 1,000mph has run into a financial roadblock with the company behind the venture going into administration.

The Bloodhound supersonic vehicle is all but built but needs a £25m investment if it is to break records on a dried-out lakebed in South Africa.

The administrators, FRP Advisory LLP, have already begun to talk to potential suitors and want to hear from others.

But without the funds the project faces being wound up in the coming weeks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-45838994

Related:

https://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/topic/312061-bloodhound-supersonic-car-fires-up-jet-engine

• Like 2

this is one of those things that I've always thought... what's the point? It's hardly going to advance mainstream technology is it. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

this is one of those things that I've always thought... what's the point? It's hardly going to advance mainstream technology is it. 

I don't know, they might develop some method that could be used in space travel. That said, I'm not surprised they are having issues because the fact is that with friction, unless the car takes off there will always be a limit to how fast it can go on the ground.

• Like 1

It will be a shame if it comes to nothing after all the effort. Having said that driver Andy Green might be breathing a sigh of relief. In the past new records have been about being the best although useful things have come from associated developments. 

One example was the Supermarine racing seaplane designed by Mitchell, his experience with this project lead to the Spitfire used by the RAF and came in quite useful in ww2.

Edited by L.A.T.1961
spelling
  • Like 2

If money is to be spent on speeding up land travel, it should be towards trains/mass transit of some sort, not a single passenger rocket car.

• Like 2

Since the dawn of motoring, people have always tried to go faster, and I salute that.
Question is, when they hit the friction limit...

I sure hope they overcome their difficulties....

• Like 1

Why? Can I get from Vancouver to London any faster and improve the lousy air travel we have now? Will it sped up the wait times for medical help? No, I think not so why do this? 

On 16/10/2018 at 3:22 PM, Berwen said:

Why? Can I get from Vancouver to London any faster and improve the lousy air travel we have now? Will it sped up the wait times for medical help? No, I think not so why do this? 

Why not?

Isn't that what makes us Human?

• Like 1

People will only keep putting money in the pot for so long. If they don't see any tangible results in what they consider a reasonable time they'll pull the plug. Especially if they see the main players in the project living the high life on their cash.

• 1 month later...

Latest:

Bloodhound supersonic car project axed

A 1,000mph race car project has been axed meaning the supersonic vehicle is on the market for the price of a Ferrari.

The Bloodhound supersonic vehicle - built with a Rolls-Royce Eurofighter jet engine bolted to a rocket - is all but finished.

The Bristol-based team behind it was aiming to beat the existing land speed world record of 763mph (1,228km/h).

Driver Andy Green said the car was now available at a cost of about £250,000.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-46480342

• Sad 1

Good. What a pointless waste of money and resources.

"If somebody is out there with a quarter of a million there is a car there," said driver Andy Green. "There is still a chance that Bloodhound could run."

Yeah, to anyone with $250,000 burning a hole in their pocket: Donate it to a reputable charity. Tis the season.

Edited by Seti42
  • Like 2

Considering the amount and type of fuel it would use to achieve the record, it's probably for the best that that  project was axed. 

Hank

On 10/16/2018 at 10:22 AM, Berwen said:

Maybe if it takes less time, maybe the flights can be scheduled further apart to make the airports less crowded.  I don't see more than a hand full of increased travelers due to faster/shorter flights.  However, I'm sure the airlines would find some way to muck it up.

Latest:

1,000mph Bloodhound supersonic car project bought by British entrepreneur

Yorkshire-based entrepreneur Ian Warhurst is buying the car project for an undisclosed amount after it fell into administration.

https://news.sky.com/story/1000mph-bloodhound-supersonic-car-project-bought-by-british-entrepreneur-11583958