Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ohio Serpent Mound Still a Debate

Piney

One "fact" I disagree with in this article is there no gap between the Adena and Fort Ancient Culture.

It went "Adena-Hopewell Sphere- Fort Ancient- Shawnee/ illini/ Kikapu"

I think it was a creation of the Fort Ancient culture around 1066 as a response to Halley's Comet.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-and-culture/erry-2018/10/71b738640b7079/ohios-serpent-mound-an-archaeo.html

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I was just about to post that exact story in the archaeology section but I figured you'd be all over it... and was right. :lol:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, The Caspian Hare said:

I was just about to post that exact story in the archaeology section but I figured you'd be all over it... and was right. :lol:

Generally I'm multi-tasking and leave it to you and Still Waters but we need some NA woosayers in this section and I found some bait. 

Also I am soooo sick of friggin Egypt.......

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Piney said:

Generally I'm multi-tasking and leave it to you and Still Waters but we need some NA woosayers in this section and I found some bait. 

Also I am soooo sick of friggin Egypt.......

Did the Egyptians not do this?

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Screw you! 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Piney said:

Screw you! 

Sorry, but it was like you dangled a carrot. I couldn't resist.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Sorry, but it was like you dangled a carrot. I couldn't resist.

:lol:

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Piney said:

One "fact" I disagree with in this article is there no gap between the Adena and Fort Ancient Culture.

It went "Adena-Hopewell Sphere- Fort Ancient- Shawnee/ illini/ Kikapu"

I think it was a creation of the Fort Ancient culture around 1066 as a response to Halley's Comet.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-and-culture/erry-2018/10/71b738640b7079/ohios-serpent-mound-an-archaeo.html

That's an awesome site. I mean the Archeological site not the website. Have they carried out X-ray analysis of the mount? It says it was built facing the sun at summer solstice, when it's setting. I find that off, usually you hear of ancient cultural sites built to face the rising sun.

Is there cultural significance to the setting sun? And serpents?

Other stuff I've read indicates that it was the Adena who probably built it, based upon carbon dating done in 2014 that suggests it was initially built in and around 300bce.

And if I remember correctly, the Adena did alot of cosmological earthworks.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Other stuff I've read indicates that it was the Adena who probably built it, based upon carbon dating done in 2014 that suggests it was initially built in and around 300bce.

Those carbon dates come from the remains from a Adena village it was built on top of that predated the site

49 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Is there cultural significance to the setting sun? And serpents?

The Horned Serpent was the personification of a river and the guardian and owner of all copper.

The Coastal Agonquians were the "Dawnland People" with the Mi' kmaq being "The Greeters of the Sun" ( Waabanaakii in the Northeast  Waabanagii in the Southeast) my theory is the Central Algonquians were the "People of the Setting Sun" and I think it was built to invoke the Horned Serpent to carry Halley's Comet West away from the Naapii (The Algonquian Peoples) 

55 minutes ago, danydandan said:

And if I remember correctly, the Adena did alot of cosmological earthworks.

The Hopewell Horizon did. The Hopewell was actually made up of Algonquian, Siouian, Muskogian and Iroquian Tribes. It was more of a "Sphere of Influence". 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, danydandan said:

It were the Hebrews obviously. While they were lost 40 years in rhe desert they got REALLY REALLY lost and ended up in North America.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

16 minutes ago, kmt_sesh said:

Rube!

The only reason to study the Egyptian culture is to observe the mistakes they made causing the Desertification of the Savannah later renamed the "Sahara". Although it probably would still be better to study the methodologies of indigenous populations in the Americas who so well managed their habitat that European invaders thought they had found a pristine land.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I personally find hardly believable that the serpent features are actually a thousand years older. They appear to be barely raised off the ground and a type of landscape that won't even last 20 years due to landslides and Earth modifications Etc

17 hours ago, danydandan said:

The Serpent Mound was built out of the dirt from when the Egyptians dug out the Grand Canyon.

Harte

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Harte said:

The Serpent Mound was built out of the dirt from when the Egyptians dug out the Grand Canyon.

Harte

Ohhhujjuuhhhhhh, I thought God did the Grand Canyon now your saying it was them Egyptians. Ken Ham will not be happy to hear this.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, the canyon was finished off by Paul Bunyan, as everyone knows.

He was dragging his axe behind him and it got caught in the trench left by the Egyptians.

Harte

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Harte said:

Well, the canyon was finished off by Paul Bunyan, as everyone knows.

He was dragging his axe behind him and it got caught in the trench left by the Egyptians.

Harte

That makes more sense.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

I personally find hardly believable that the serpent features are actually a thousand years older. They appear to be barely raised off the ground and a type of landscape that won't even last 20 years due to landslides and Earth modifications Etc

It was plowed a couple of times. 

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

It was plowed a couple of times. 

Was it rebuilt as a result of the farming?

20 hours ago, danydandan said:

be282602ef87-e1503505242741.jpg

You are not far from the truth, apparently there are common roots among Egypt and the Indians and the link here should be something intermediate, the intermediate continent of Atlantis from which knowledge went to Egypt and passed on to American Indians only the latter could not restore civilization therefore they depicted a snake on the ground and stone.The snake holds an egg in its mouth and it is a very ancient cosmological symbol.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Coil said:

be282602ef87-e1503505242741.jpg

You are not far from the truth, apparently there are common roots among Egypt and the Indians and the link here should be something intermediate, the intermediate continent of Atlantis from which knowledge went to Egypt and passed on to American Indians only the latter could not restore civilization therefore they depicted a snake on the ground and stone.The snake holds an egg in its mouth and it is a very ancient cosmological symbol.

Your nuts man.

Atlantis was never, and isn't real.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Coil said:

apparently there are common roots among Egypt and the Indians

Not even a little bit.

We have nothing in common in DNA, culture, language or anything else......

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not even a little bit.

We have nothing in common in DNA, culture, language or anything else......

Your both humanses. Unless........... Aliens! OMG.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I want to know from you where the Indians took this symbol?Just do not say that the Indians were hunting and here in the head of one of them there was a desire to portray a snake ..Waiting for your reply.