Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Logical issues with belief.

danydandan

Interested in participating in an experiment regarding the logic of your beliefs?

https://www.philosophyexperiments.com/god/Default.aspx

It's interesting. Apparently being an Agnostic Theist doesn't get you any points.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Can't help but feel that survey/questionnaire was loaded. 

Very.

• Like 5

@rodentraiser posted the link recently in the "10 Questions" thread over in the sheltered workshop board here at UM:

What I discovered is that if you answer question 8 in a normative way (yes, some a priori beliefs can be "justified," e.g. ordinary  logic is a reliable guide to truth), then you cannot answer question 16 without an exception notice.

So, yes, i think the poll was "loaded" as the previous poster suggests.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, eight bits said:

@rodentraiser posted the link recently in the "10 Questions" thread over in the sheltered workshop board here at UM:

What I discovered is that if you answer question 8 in a normative way (yes, some a priori beliefs can be "justified," e.g. ordinary  logic is a reliable guide to truth), then you cannot answer question 16 without an exception notice.

So, yes, i think the poll was "loaded" as the previous poster suggests.

It told me that I was a bold boy for saying I don't know in the first question.

20 minutes ago, seanjo said:

There is no logic to belief...it's faith...you don't need logic to have faith.

My mother's family were "Non-Theistic Quakers and I base my beliefs on the limited science I know. If it can be disproven. It is no longer part of my belief. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

It told me that I was a bold boy for saying I don't know in the first question.

Hmm, I too was a "don't know" for that (Huxleyan agnostic), and it didn't flinch :) .

@seanjo

That's interesting that you got an exception for Loch Ness versus Question of God. The Loch Ness problem (the subject of one of the questions) features a lack of results after (arguably at the very least) an adequately extensive program of searches including an evidentiary foundation for what was being sought. Who the hell knows how to look for God? What are you even supposed to be looking for? Although I personally didn't hold atheists to a "high" evidence-or-argument standard, I also don't see that the two problems are all that parallel.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You've taken a direct hit!

Earlier you responded that it is rational to believe the Loch Ness monster does not exist if there is an absence of strong evidence or argument that it does. No strong evidence or argument was required to show that the monster does not exist - absence of evidence or argument was enough. But now you claim that the atheist needs to be able to provide strong arguments or evidence if their belief in the non-existence of God is to be rational rather than a matter of faith.

The contradiction is that on the first occasion (Loch Ness monster) you agreed that the absence of evidence or argument is enough to justify belief in the non-existence of the Loch Ness monster, but on this occasion (God), you do not.

That's what I got.

5 minutes ago, eight bits said:

Hmm, I too was a "don't know" for that (Huxleyan agnostic), and it didn't flinch :) .

@seanjo

That's interesting that you got an exception for Loch Ness versus Question of God. The Loch Ness problem (the subject of one of the questions) features a lack of results after (arguably at the very least) an adequately extensive program of searches including an evidentiary foundation for what was being sought. Who the hell knows how to look for God? What are you even supposed to be looking for? Although I personally didn't hold atheists to a "high" evidence-or-argument standard, I also don't see that the two problems are all that parallel.

I said I don't know and said it was ok to belief in God without evidence. So I got a slap on the wrist.

Hmm. As my lawyer friends like to say, "circumstances alter cases." Nessie is a physical being residing in a defined place with some specified detectable features, and after extensive effort, nothing of her shows up unless you've volunteered to serve as a quality control inspector for the local Scotch. In the search for God, everything's wild and the sky's the limit. Meh, I've heard Scotch helps with that, too.

Anyway, you've been singled out. I was "don't know" about God and "OK for (either side) to believe without evidence (a priori)." Not a peep. Maybe I intimidated the poor thing :) .

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 4

I was just listening to a podcast about big data and how its shared, sold, and applied.  I will no longer participate in these types of surveys because your answers may have unintended results that affect things like your ability to get a job find a place to live and your credit rating.  Big data companies uses what seems to be random harmless information about you to build a profile on you that can be used by many different entities.  Things like if you're  a single male and you drive a minivan they will determine that you are likely overweight and out of shape and this could affect your rates when applying for life insurance and you would never even know they used that info. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, seanjo said:

There is no logic to belief...it's faith...you don't need logic to have faith.

And this nonsense is what keeps these awful institutions alive.

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

I was just listening to a podcast about big data and how its shared, sold, and applied.  I will no longer participate in these types of surveys because your answers may have unintended results that affect things like your ability to get a job find a place to live and your credit rating.  Big data companies uses what seems to be random harmless information about you to build a profile on you that can be used by many different entities.  Things like if you're  a single male and you drive a minivan they will determine that you are likely overweight and out of shape and this could affect your rates when applying for life insurance and you would never even know they used that info. 

They can't do that if you don't share information. Which I don't.

23 minutes ago, danydandan said:

They can't do that if you don't share information. Which I don't.

Did they read your IP address when you answered their questions?  Yes you did.

• Like 1

Just now, OverSword said:

Did they read your IP address when you answered their questions?  Yes you did.

Nope. Old school hacker here friend. Proxy is my middle name. Although they could well have gotten some useful stuff, via cookies.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Battleground God - Analysis

You navigated the battlefield suffering 1 hit and biting 0 bullets, which represents an overall performance at the 86th percentile (i.e., 86% of scores are worse than yours). The tables on the right show how your performance compares to the other 76509 people who have completed Battleground God.
You can find a list of questions here (page will open in a new tab).
Recap of your Direct Hit
Direct Hit 1

You answered "True" to questions 7 and 14, which generated the following response:
You claimed earlier that evolutionary theory is essentially true. However, you have now stated that it is foolish to believe in God without certain, irrevocable proof that She exists. The problem is that there is no certain proof that evolutionary theory is true - even though there is overwhelming evidence that it is true. So it seems that you require certain, irrevocable proof for God's existence, but accept evolutionary theory without certain proof.

battleground.png

battleground2.png

Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

There actually is an incredible amount of 'proof' to confirm evolution.  There is however zero proof ...zero...proof...of Entities of Omnipotence.

Therefore...the premise of the entire test is false and obviously has an agenda...its a ...gotcha question...

If you believe in evolution and not in God then you are choosing one belief without proof over another belief without proof.  The premise however is mistaken because there is a plethora of proofs to support evolution theories.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, joc said:

There actually is an incredible amount of 'proof' to confirm evolution.  There is however zero proof ...zero...proof...of Entities of Omnipotence.

Therefore...the premise of the entire test is false and obviously has an agenda...its a ...gotcha question...

If you believe in evolution and not in God then you are choosing one belief without proof over another belief without proof.  The premise however is mistaken because there is a plethora of proofs to support evolution theories.

A lot of people use proof to mean solid evidence, and that's how I took the question regarding proof of God. Obviously the site is using much stricter meanings and I should've paid more attention.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

A lot of people use proof to mean solid evidence, and that's how I took the question regarding proof of God. Obviously the site is using much stricter meanings and I should've paid more attention.

I got "caught" on the same trap you did. The questions aren't specific enough to justify turning around and immediately being super pedantic. It's clearly written by theists trying super hard to make atheists question stuff.

• Like 2

Just took the test.  Scored 70% the first time..took it again..scored 100%

The catch is whether you are consistent with your answers.  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, joc said:

Just took the test.  Scored 70% the first time..took it again..scored 100%

The catch is whether you are consistent with your answers.  

I wonder how much people redoing the questions are screwing up their metrics?

• Haha 1

When I opened it and went to the first question the page froze and had to reboot my phone. I took it as a sign not to continue.:lol::whistle:

jmccr8 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, danydandan said:

I wonder how much people redoing the questions are screwing up their metrics?

I don't know...what screwed me up was I said that God could do Anything...early on and I stayed with that because...of course if he is an omnipotent entity he can do anything...but at the end I had a question could God change the square root of a certain number to be something it wasn't and I said no.  

So...I think it is a consistency test....it really didn't matter I don't think what you answered about God...as long as you were consistent about it.  Maybe I should take it a few more times...nah...I don't care that much honestly.

The world is full of people who are believers or non-believers ('don't knows' are, de facto, not believers).

There is no room for logic or science in this matter.

By definition believers ignore the logic and science.

You can only successfully negotiate this questionnaire if you do not believe in God, full stop.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

By definition believers ignore the logic and science.

f7FdEdG.jpg