Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Logical issues with belief.

danydandan

24 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Yeah fecking auto-correct on my phone wasn't turned off 

Yeah I meant relativity. You understand that it's a theory, in fact everything is just a theory.

Fecking. Haha!

Well...that's not precise. When talking about science, we deal with hypotheses, theories and laws. I'm not a scientist but I understand the law of gravity to be that if an Apple falls from a tree, it always falls downward, never upward. It's a law because it always happens that way. So it's not a theory, it's a law, because it happens that way always and without fail.

a theory would explain, with mathematics, HOW the law works. Like...one man sa ys the Apple always goes downward.  Then another man cones up with a theory to describe how/why. 

So everything is not a theory. That the Apple will always fall downward is a law. 

This is why we say: the law of gravity. We do not say: the theory of gravity.

Edited by Jen5
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Jen5 said:

Fecking. Haha!

Well...that's not precise. When talking about science, we deal with hypotheses, theories and laws. I'm not a scientist but I understand the law of gravity to be that if an Apple falls from a tree, it always falls downward, never upward. It's a law because it always happens that way. So it's not a theory, it's a law, because it happens that way always and without fail.

a theory would explain, with mathematics, HOW the law works. Like...one man sa ys the Apple always goes downward.  Then another man cones up with a theory to describe how/why. 

So everything is not a theory. That the Apple will always fall downward is a law. 

I'm a physicist, everything can be argued to be a theory. The basic difference is a theory is the explanation of WHY a phenomenon occurs, (I'm not gonna call it law I believe principle is the correct term here) and a scientific principle is describing the phenomenon that occurred. Through repetition of never being falsified in experiments. 

So yeah gravity or Newton's theory of gravity was superseded by Einsteins theory of relativity. Both describe the same phenomenon. But a principle by definition must be universal and unchanging, as we know the theory of relativity breaks down in certain cases. So I could argue that gravity (simply because it was superseded by another theory) isn't a principle, but I'd end up looking like a lunatic. So I won't.

Edited by danydandan

11 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm a physicist, everything can be argued to be a theory. The basic difference is a theory is the explanation of WHY a phenomenon occurs, (I'm not gonna call it law I believe principle is the correct term here) and a scientific principle is describing the phenomenon that occurred. Through repetition of never being falsified in experiments. 

So yeah gravity or Newton's theory of gravity was superseded by Einsteins theory of relativity. Both describe the same phenomenon. But a principle by definition must be universal and unchanging, as we know the theory of relativity breaks down in certain cases. So I could argue that gravity (simply because it was superseded by another theory) isn't a principle, but I'd end up looking like a lunatic. So I won't.

Hmm...I don't understand your thought process o r your definitions. A law is a statement. The Apple always falls down. It is a statement based on an observable...phenomenon. No one can, or ever has, proven it is not true. It is always true on earth. It is observably  always true. This makes it a law. this law was not superseded by Einstein's theory. It was explained or attempted to be explained by Einstein. Einstein didn't supersede or replace it. The Apple still falls down.

19 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

FYI - theories are mighty strong:

Theories and laws[edit]

See also: Scientific law

Both scientific laws and scientific theories are produced from the scientific method through the formation and testing of hypotheses, and can predict the behavior of the natural world. Both are typically well-supported by observations and/or experimental evidence.[29] However, scientific laws are descriptive accounts of how nature will behave under certain conditions.[30] Scientific theories are broader in scope, and give overarching explanations of how nature works and why it exhibits certain characteristics. Theories are supported by evidence from many different sources, and may contain one or several laws.[31]

A common misconception is that scientific theories are rudimentary ideas that will eventually graduate into scientific laws when enough data and evidence have been accumulated. A theory does not change into a scientific law with the accumulation of new or better evidence. A theory will always remain a theory; a law will always remain a law.[29][32][33] Both theories and laws could potentially be falsified by countervailing evidence.[34]

Theories and laws are also distinct from hypotheses. Unlike hypotheses, theories and laws may be simply referred to as scientific fact.[35][36] However, in science, theories are different from facts even when they are well supported.[37] For example, evolution is both a theory and a fact.[4]

I disagree that Darwin's theory of evolution is a fact. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jen5 said:

I disagree that Darwin's theory of evolution is a fact. 

What don't you agree with, with Darwin's theory of evolution?

All of it, or part of it?

26 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm a physicist

I thought you were an ambassador?

That there is an Apple tree in a field is a fact. 

that if an Apple falls from it, it will always fall downward is a law. 

The law involves what always happens between two things, the Apple and the ground.

If I try to determine and explain why this is so, I have a theory. My theory doesn't change the observable law.

16 minutes ago, Jen5 said:

Hmm...I don't understand your thought process o r your definitions. A law is a statement. The Apple always falls down. It is a statement based on an observable...phenomenon. No one can, or ever has, proven it is not true. It is always true on earth. It is observably  always true. This makes it a law. this law was not superseded by Einstein's theory. It was explained or attempted to be explained by Einstein. Einstein didn't supersede or replace it. The Apple still falls down.

If you don't understand the difference between Newton's gravity and Einstein's gravity I'm not going to bother to proceed.

7 minutes ago, Will Due said:

I thought you were an ambassador?

That's my super secret job. 

Technically I'm just a Doctor of Philosophy.

11 minutes ago, Jen5 said:

That there is an Apple tree in a field is a fact. 

And it's also a fact that when the right person eats the wrong apple, there will be a default. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

What don't you agree with, with Darwin's theory of evolution?

All of it, or part of it?

I disagree with an ape evolving into a human or a man evolving into an aquatic animal. I have no problem with a hummingbird developing a longer or shorter beak depending on weather patterns becoming drier or wetter for periods of time.  It's observable. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, danydandan said:

If you don't understand the difference between Newton's gravity and Einstein's gravity I'm not going to bother to proceed.

Okay. It was nevertheless pleasant to talk with you this morning.

• Thanks 1

So I took the questionaire, 'got hurt' on account of my answer about the Nessie thing.. choosing the answer believing in such a creature without physical proof would not be rational.

This 'conflicted' with my earlier answer regarding the belief in G*d, that it isnt irrational without tangible proof, or something like that (thas been a few days ago). The difference ofcourse is, the former is a pysical being leaving physical proof on this earth per definition, the latter a creator of reality; a role which per very definition does not leave physical / direct proof of its existence. No tracks, no nests, no corpse / bones, no excrement, no such thing.

In other words, Im not quite sure said 'hurt' assessment is sound..

16 minutes ago, Jen5 said:

Okay. It was nevertheless pleasant to talk with you this morning.

Likewise. 

But it's evening here, and the babas are just fed which means they are going to bed now, so I'll have to ask you to explain why you think evolution is not a fact? And perhaps read it later. But be aware I'm by no means an expert on it, just curious as to why you disagree with it. Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

So I took the questionaire, 'got hurt' on account of my answer about the Nessie thing.. choosing the answer believing in such a creature without physical proof would not be rational.

This 'conflicted' with my earlier answer regarding the belief in G*d, that it isnt irrational without tangible proof, or something like that (thas been a few days ago). The difference ofcourse is, the former is a pysical being leaving physical proof on this earth per definition, the latter a creator of reality; a role which per very definition does not leave physical / direct proof of its existence. No tracks, no nests, no corpse / bones, no excrement, no such thing.

It's a very loaded assessment in all honesty.

4 hours ago, Jen5 said:

From what I've read, it was commonly accepted by scientists and by laypersons, and men who refuted it were put to death or their very lives threatened at the least.

Interestingly, I've read twice in the bible that the earth is a round orb that hangs on nothing. So it seems that men believed it was round (at least some men at some time in history) and then scientists said no, it's flat, and then other scientists said no, it's round. And they've done the same thing with eggs good, eggs bad, eggs good!

And I'm not knocking science. I'm knocking the test the op posted, where if I don't agree with everything and anything that scientists currently believe, then ima idjit. They do have a history of reversing themselves on many things. Which, mind you, isn't bad. Hopefully we ALL reverse ourselves on many things as we grow and learn more.

Which scientists said it was flat and killed people for refusing to believe it?

3 hours ago, Jen5 said:

Hmm...But my reason for receiving their "bullet" had nothing to do with a view on whether God exists or not...But it might be interesting to take it again and agree that Darwin's theory is true and see if I don't receive the bullet...at any rate, I disagree that it is illogical to question a scientific theory. It has remained a theory for the exact reason that it is not yet fully proven to the scientific rigors to become a law.

It is illogical to insist a person must insist that a theory is true or false. A theory has not been fully proved, so to insist it must be either true OR false is actually unscientific.

Theories never become laws. A scientific theory is an explanation backed up with verifiable evidence.

BTW Newton's law of gravitation does not explain what "gravity" is.

Edited by Rlyeh

26 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Interesting...I think you're referring to the question that was something like...it's irrational to believe God exists without proof?

I guess I answered it differently than you. I think it would be nutty (to me) to believe in God without proof He exists. I could just as easily decide to believe fairies exist. And I'd be every bit as nutty for that! 

Maybe they assumed I had no proof...true, I can't share my proof with them. Not true that I don't have proof. That's odd when I think about it. 

27 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Which scientists said it was flat and killed people for refusing to believe it?

I don't think scientists killed scientists! I mean, they could have I suppose, but I've never heard of it in any writings. no, it was the church that killed scientists for their remarks. I think it was mostly scientists who said Copernicus was correct that were persecuted...might have that wrong...think it was men who believed Copernicus to be correct who were burned and tortured...

59 minutes ago, Jen5 said:

Interesting...I think you're referring to the question that was something like...it's irrational to believe God exists without proof?

I guess I answered it differently than you. I think it would be nutty (to me) to believe in God without proof He exists. I could just as easily decide to believe fairies exist. And I'd be every bit as nutty for that! 

Maybe they assumed I had no proof...true, I can't share my proof with them. Not true that I don't have proof. That's odd when I think about it. 

Oh I didnt say there wasnt proof, just not physical / direct, more circumstantial / indirect / intangible. Like, say, the intelligent design that permeates every facet of this reality.. Belief is based on the interpretation of the observer, thats the issue, there is no definitive proof. Hence the word 'faith'.

Btw; this was the Nessie question:

"If, despite years of trying, no strong evidence or argument has been presented to show that there is a Loch Ness monster, it is rational to believe that such a monster does not exist."

Edited by Phaeton80
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Rlyeh said:

Theories never become laws. A scientific theory is an explanation backed up with verifiable evidence.

BTW Newton's law of gravitation does not explain what "gravity" is.

You are  right. Laws are observed phenomenon between two or more things, as they interact. Theories attempt to explain why and how. The theories can change, and often do, as more is discovered. The laws don't change. But without the theories, no satellite would ever have been put into space, planes couldn't fly, and  so on and so on. So they don't operate without one another. Without observing a law or principle, no theory would be developed and no plane would fly. 

I do not believe humans evolved from apes or fish and I do not believe these things are verifiable. But the laws of motion are verifiable and no plane could fly if they were ignored.. Because they are verifiable and do not change (they are reliable) they are laws. 

Keep in mind that you are talking to a regular old gal and not a scientist. I learn even as I discuss. 

23 minutes ago, Phaeton80 said:

Oh I didnt say there wasnt proof, just not physical / direct, more circumstantial / indirect / intangible. Like, say, the intelligent design that permeates every facet of this reality.. Belief is based on the interpretation of the observer, thats the issue, there is no definitive proof. Hence the word 'faith'.

So if you answered that it would be illogical to believe lochness with no proof, and you answered that it would be illogical to believe God existed with no  proof, then why did you receive the "bullet?"

My assumption was that you answered one as true and one as false. You should have received no bullet if you answered both the same way. Of course, in my opinion, the fault lies with the test, because it is assumed by the test writer that no one has proof that God exists. 

9 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

Now there you go - spot on correct. The good ol church killed anybody not in compliance with their beliefs. Once again, that lil fixation they had with the power and control thing. Oh wait, they still have it....:D

If they were the true church, they would not have done so. In my opinion. But then, my opinion is that if one claims to follow Christ but is nothing like Him, they are a liar and imposter. At least that's where I currently am. I'm with the man who said, I love Jesus, but I don't like those who claim to follow Him, or something like that...

Edited by Jen5

But I did start thinking more and I think there were probably scientists who weren't very bright (every field has that problem), and they probably didn't like bright scientists who said they were wrong, and so they whispered in the ear of the church, hey, that guys a heretic because yada, yada. And the dim scientist, being a little less dim than the church officials, thereby got rid of his competition...I can see it anyway. So...what was my point? Sometimes I just gabs for no reason...

14 minutes ago, Scudbuster said:

I think those "true" churches were - in actuality - probably the worst offenders......

I disagree. Would the true church truthfully say they follow it's founde r and then proceed to be the complete opposite of him and not do anything he told them to? 

• Like 1