Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
danydandan

Logical issues with belief.

429 posts in this topic

jmccr8
4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How did you do? 

I do as I please, and you?

jmccr8

danydandan
5 hours ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How did you do? 

Quite well for someone who only started playing the game two months ago. Atlantis and Pettytalk are very good. I beat Pettytalk once, he beat me in the other game. Atlantis beat me twice.......... He is going to win the competition. Easily too.

029b10
On 3/5/2019 at 9:49 AM, danydandan said:

It's still more impossible due to axial rotation, I assume.

It's all friggin crazy. 

On 3/5/2019 at 9:51 AM, jmccr8 said:

:tu:

jmccr8

What is crazy is that you claim that all the land mass inhabited by man at the time the NT was written couldn't be seen from an exceeding high place because the earth is a globe .

Just because your perspective of reality is skewed because of what you read in a book doesn't mean that all the visible land mass that men inhabited at the time couldn't be seen from one location at one time doesn't mean what you believe is true because you believe it is true.  Especially when you haven't ever examined the globe of the Earth.  But if you can't see the kingdom of the world from where you stand, it is no secret why. ^_^

sie.jpg.69902933b7111cc07956e7b83dd67702.jpg  

But as far as the kingdoms of the world, you can claim that the are many Nations yet that doesn't mean they are subject to their own authority. While Ireland became a republic in 1948, it became State subject to the United Nations in 1955.  So maybe Rome didn't have the authority to tax the whole world back when the Son of God issued the decree that the whole world should be taxed, but if you want to call the tax which your State pays to the UN "dues", then by all means please do. 

Now if you didn't know that August was the Divi Filius because he said so, I agree.

But in conclusion I have to give you  :tsu:  One for ignorance and the other for arrogance, but I let you figure out which one is for which so you will always be right. 

Edited by 029b10

Liquid Gardens
16 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

What is crazy is that you claim that all the land mass inhabited by man at the time the NT was written couldn't be seen from an exceeding high place because the earth is a globe .

Why is that 'crazy'?  From what mountain or 'high place' in the Middle East can you see California, which was inhabited by man when the NT was written?  If you want to go to the moon or a satellite you will likely be able to see all the land mass inhabited by man if you wait 12 hours for the earth to rotate, but 12 hours isn't exactly what we refer to as 'a moment in time' which you were harping on earlier.

at the time of the events recorded in the NT you only had to stand on a pile of dirt two foot high to see all the kingdoms of the world since the world was ruled by Roman Empire.

You can see China from a hill two feet high in the Middle East?  China was ruled by the Roman Empire?  (I see dany also brought this up, I don't see you addressing it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

danydandan
46 minutes ago, 029b10 said:

Just because your perspective of reality is skewed because of what you read in a book doesn't mean that all the visible land mass that men inhabited at the time couldn't be seen from one location at one time doesn't mean what you believe is true because you believe it is true.  Especially when you haven't ever examined the globe of the Earth.  But if you can't see the kingdom of the world from where you stand, it is no secret why. ^_^

sie.jpg.69902933b7111cc07956e7b83dd67702.jpg  

But as far as the kingdoms of the world, you can claim that the are many Nations yet that doesn't mean they are subject to their own authority. While Ireland became a republic in 1948, it became State subject to the United Nations in 1955.  So maybe Rome didn't have the authority to tax the whole world back when the Son of God issued the decree that the whole world should be taxed, but if you want to call the tax which your State pays to the UN "dues", then by all means please do. 

Now if you didn't know that August was the Divi Filius because he said so, I agree.

But in conclusion I have to give you  :tsu:  One for ignorance and the other for arrogance, but I let you figure out which one is for which so you will always be right. 

So a moment of time is 12 hours? 

And the mountain in the NT is now the moon, interesting interpretation of the Bible.

You do love deflection eh! 

What exactly does Ireland's Independence or recognition internationally as a nation have anything to do with what we are discussing.

Again I'll start from the start again so it's easy for you.  Matthews gospel has a part in it, that you can interpret that the Author assumed the Earth was flat. Have you anything to comment on this? 

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 3

danydandan
31 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

Why is that 'crazy'?  From what mountain or 'high place' in the Middle East can you see California, which was inhabited by man when the NT was written?  If you want to go to the moon or a satellite you will likely be able to see all the land mass inhabited by man if you wait 12 hours for the earth to rotate, but 12 hours isn't exactly what we refer to as 'a moment in time' which you were harping on earlier.

You can see China from a hill two feet high in the Middle East?  China was ruled by the Roman Empire?  (I see dany also brought this up, I don't see you addressing it)

I think the poster thought I was a flat Earther. But honestly I don't know what the discussion has evolved into at the moment. 

Are you playing in the Chess tournament?

• Like 2

Liquid Gardens
14 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I think the poster thought I was a flat Earther. But honestly I don't know what the discussion has evolved into at the moment. 

Yea I had thought that too, even though you clarified you were not several times over the last few pages.

15 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Are you playing in the Chess tournament

If by 'playing' you mean 'getting my ass kicked', then yes.  I was amazed to make it past the first round so I'm counting it as a success and all bonus from here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

danydandan
6 minutes ago, Liquid Gardens said:

If by 'playing' you mean 'getting my ass kicked', then yes.  I was amazed to make it past the first round so I'm counting it as a success and all bonus from here.

Yeah I know the feeling. I'm only in because Earl of Trumps is having connection issues.

But I have won two games this far. 

• Like 1

Essan

I'm not playing chess ...... but when it comes to ancients referring to "the world" the meaning is often lost in translation.  They didn't mean "the whole planet Earth"  (most of which they had not knowledge nor even an inkling it existed), they meant "everywhere we know exists" - which might be the local valley, or might be a small region like the Middle East.    Hence how a local flood can cover the whole world ;) 

Only a fool interprets modern translations literally!

btw, the old name for Britain was Albion (Alba in Gaelic) - an ancient name whose meaning is not know.  However, one possible meaning is "the world, the earth, the land".   Because for the inhabitants of this once green and pleasant land, it was the world and nothing beyond it mattered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

danydandan
20 minutes ago, Essan said:

Because for the inhabitants of this once green and pleasant land, it was the world and nothing beyond it mattered.

Hasn't that always been the case, well for some it is the case. 

• Like 1

Jodie.Lynne
3 hours ago, danydandan said:

That poster is, either willfully ignoring facts, or is trolling.

Both you & I responded to him, stating we were not flat earthers.

The individual seems to be claiming that Satan took Jesus to the Moon to survey the nations of the Earth. Either that, or there is a mountain in Israel tall enough to see the entire planet. IDK, but I'm going to avoid the Xmas rush and start ignoring him now. :)

• Haha 1

Aquila King
13 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

The individual seems to be claiming that Satan took Jesus to the Moon to survey the nations of the Earth. 

A bit unnecessary to go that distance, don't ya think? :lol:

I mean after all, space is space.

and then
On 11/12/2018 at 8:36 AM, danydandan said:

Doubt it, it says in the Bible there is a mountain where you can literally see every kingdom. 

That would mean the author assumed the Earth was flat, not round because you obviously can't see around a sphere.

Or it would mean one of the authors - 66 books, 40 writers - used metaphor?

and then

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

No logic or proof necessary or presented.  Believe, don't believe.  Simple choice.  The real question should be, why is it so important to limit the beliefs of others?  Why not just live and let live?  This is assuming that they are willing to return you the same level of respect, of course.  It must be a two-way street.

• Like 2

Guyver
On 2/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, danydandan said:

It isn't the word of God, it's claimed to be but there is nothing to confirm it is or isn't. Whether an Abrahamic God exists or not I have no clue nor do I care

Well, first of all I’d like to disagree with your first point here Dan.  I think it is entirely possible to analyze whether or not the claims of the bible being divinely inspired or completed are valid or not....and I bet if we put our heads together we could absolutely present a very logical position for or against.

For example, the bible contains many prophecies which are presented as actual prophesies and these could be considered.  If a prophecy could be proven to be accurate, then that indicates divine inspiration because the future cannot be known by humans.

Or, would you disagree and claim that future could be known by some means?

Guyver
On 2/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, danydandan said:

So back to the interpretation of Bible that assumes the Earth is flat, do you have anything to say about it? 

I do my friend.  I have studied this topic in great detail and consider myself an expert on the bible in some aspects.

The bible not only never says the Earth is flat, the exact opposite argument that I would present.  The bible presents a solar system which travels in a circuit, and the root is circle which is what orbits actually are.  An eclipse is a circle.

• Like 1

Habitat
6 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Or, would you disagree and claim that future could be known by some means?

I very much disagree, having had a number of dreams that accurately forecast future events, that seemed quite improbable. Is that "divine inspiration" ? I don't know what you would call it. And I'm not blowing smoke out of my **** **** with this, just a few weeks ago, I dreamt a team won a football comp, I actually had the dream twice, only thing is, no year was mentioned ! That is holding me back from having a bigger bet on it, but I will still be having a good bet, that they do win, this year.

Guyver
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

I very much disagree, having had a number of dreams that accurately forecast future events, that seemed quite improbable. Is that "divine inspiration" ? I don't know what you would call it. And I'm not blowing smoke out of my **** **** with this, just a few weeks ago, I dreamt a team won a football comp, I actually had the dream twice, only thing is, no year was mentioned ! That is holding me back from having a bigger bet on it, but I will still be having a good bet, that they do win, this year.

If you could prove that you could predict the future, then yes, I would accept that as a piece of evidence for divine intervention.  Since, according to human understanding the future does not exist....knowing it is not possible and only a lucky guess if you actually get one.  Weatherologists are actually amazing in their predictions.  But these are based on science and nature and don’t predict human events.  That’s a whole other animal.

• Like 1

Habitat
8 minutes ago, Guyver said:

If you could prove that you could predict the future, then yes, I would accept that as a piece of evidence for divine intervention.  Since, according to human understanding the future does not exist....knowing it is not possible and only a lucky guess if you actually get one.  Weatherologists are actually amazing in their predictions.  But these are based on science and nature and don’t predict human events.  That’s a whole other animal.

It is far from uncommon for people to have such dreams, but if it is "divine", then divinity is common.

Edited by Habitat
  • Like 1

Guyver
14 minutes ago, Habitat said:

You know you can prove that you can predict the future right?  All you have to do is record your next prophetic dream, print it out and mail it to someone.  The envelope of your prophecy must remain closed and date stamped until the events you predicted occur.  Then you take witnesses willing to swear to their testimony and open the envelope.

Guyver
2 minutes ago, Habitat said:

It is far from uncommon for people to have such dreams, but if it is "divine", then divinity is common.

Dreams are freaky - they prove nothing.

Habitat
5 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Dreams are freaky - they prove nothing.

They have proved themselves to me.

Guyver
6 minutes ago, Habitat said:

They have proved themselves to me.

Ok.  But proof for you isn’t proof for anyone else.  And besides that, unless you can predict the time of the future events, I don’t really consider it an actual prophecy.  I can lucky guess things myself.  In 1996 or 1997, I predicted that humans and machines would merge in the near future.  I predicted that it would begin with the healthcare industry.  Replacement parts for humans that are not organic is my prediction fior the near future.

i don’t think God has a thing to do with this prediction, it’s the result of my own cognition.

Will do
17 minutes ago, Guyver said:

proof for you isn’t proof for anyone else.

Yes. Which is why everyone has proof.

Guyver
1 minute ago, Will Due said:

Yes. Which is why everyone has proof.

Proof of what?