Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Male gorillas who babysit

Jenn8779

When it comes to gorillas, the males who help females out with their infants get benefits. The benefits? More babies. A new study of male gorillas in the wild in Rwanda has found that those who spend the most time grooming infants and resting with them—others’ offspring as well as their own—have about five times more offspring than males who don’t help out with the little ones.

This is surprising, scientists say, because male caretaking isn’t usually considered a smart reproductive strategy in primate species where access to females is intensely competitive. Instead, researchers thought the most successful strategy for males would be to put more time and energy into outcompeting other males for a mate, as chimps do.

https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/10/male-gorillas-who-babysit-have-five-times-more-babies

• Like 9

"It turns out the way to a mom’s heart is through her offspring"

:yes:

• Like 6

Gorillas have less male/male competition than other apes. 

And as usual, female agency is probably a bigger factor in mate chose than is often given credit. Female gorillas may simply prefer those males that engage more with their offspring, thereby increasing the likelihood of their survival. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Gorillas have less male/male competition than other apes. 

And as usual, female agency is probably a bigger factor in mate chose than is often given credit. Female gorillas may simply prefer those males that engage more with their offspring, thereby increasing the likelihood of their survival. 

Agreed. There's definitely something to be said for picking the fiercest protector and most able provider.

But seeing the big "tough guy" with the cute little baby really ratchets up the adorable factor and females are susceptible to that. Reminds me of the saying "in gentleness there is great strength"

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Agreed. There's definitely something to be said for picking the fiercest protector and most able provider.

But seeing the big "tough guy" with the cute little baby really ratchets up the adorable factor and females are susceptible to that. Reminds me of the saying "in gentleness there is great strength"

In a polygampus social structure like gorillas, males would have no evolutionary incentive to babysit for young that aren't theirs, unless female agency is involved and such behaviors are rewarded with mating. 

Reciprocal altruism at its finest.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

"It turns out the way to a mom’s heart is through her offspring"

:yes:

Down south we have an expression for this mindset - "If mama ain't happy, ain't NOBODY happy"  :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Male Gorillas don't calls the shots over everything, only in matters regarding territorial disputes with other males do they get to thump their chests ...

~

• Like 2

10 hours ago, third_eye said:

Male Gorillas don't calls the shots over everything, only in matters regarding territorial disputes with other males do they get to thump their chests ...

~

We were just at the zoo this morning with the gorillas and I watched a female push around the male in her troop because he tried to take her food.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Love seeing the male gorillas take care of them. Because baby gorillas are just so cute. :wub:

4 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

We were just at the zoo this morning with the gorillas and I watched a female push around the male in her troop because he tried to take her food.

Possibly they were related ?

Could have been a big sister or auntie ...

~

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

Possibly they were related ?

Could have been a big sister or auntie ...

~

Nah. New male brought in last year. The three females were already bonded. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Nah. New male brought in last year. The three females were already bonded. 

That makes more sense ... home ground advantage

~

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, third_eye said:

That makes more sense ... home ground advantage

~

He's doing well with them, but this female is the oldest and doesn't take any ****

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ktembe has been here since aug '17, but his troop of 3 females were with another male, Annaka, until he died unexpectedly to a bad anesthesia reaction in nov '16.
Cassie, the tough female of the troop and mother to Ndami, another female in the troop, is the great-grandaughter of Colo, famously the first gorilla born in captivity who died at the age of 60 in jan of '17. She (Colo) also had twin grandsons, one of who leads a troop of 8 here, as well.

I will jump on any excuse to talk about my gorillas

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Ktembe this morning after being run off by Cassie for trying to steal her leaves.

• Thanks 2

On 10/16/2018 at 6:47 PM, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Ktembe has been here since aug '17, but his troop of 3 females were with another male, Annaka, until he died unexpectedly to a bad anesthesia reaction in nov '16.
Cassie, the tough female of the troop and mother to Ndami, another female in the troop, is the great-grandaughter of Colo, famously the first gorilla born in captivity who died at the age of 60 in jan of '17. She (Colo) also had twin grandsons, one of who leads a troop of 8 here, as well.

I will jump on any excuse to talk about my gorillas

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

Ktembe this morning after being run off by Cassie for trying to steal her leaves.

Love this! What zoo?

2 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

Love this! What zoo?

Columbus, Ohio.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

35 year old Baron "Mac" Macombo II

21 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Columbus, Ohio.

Webp.net-resizeimage (2).jpg

35 year old Baron "Mac" Macombo II

Whoa...he has some serious teeth! LOL

The Philadelphia zoo is the closest one to me and they have a little 2 year old who is so beyond adorable!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jenn8779 said:

Whoa...he has some serious teeth! LOL

The Philadelphia zoo is the closest one to me and they have a little 2 year old who is so beyond adorable!

I love gorillas. Obviously.

We try to go see them everyday we can and have for the past year. They know us quite well and often come to greet us when we arrive.

Mac has 4 kids in his troop. 4 year old Kamoli (who is teh son of two other gorillas at the zoo, Kambara and Oliver), 3 year old Kamina, JJ just turned 2 (Mac's only biological child), and he just adopted 1 year old Zahra from Milwaukee after bother her parents died in a freak e coli outbreak.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I love gorillas. Obviously.

We try to go see them everyday we can and have for the past year. They know us quite well and often come to greet us when we arrive.

Mac has 4 kids in his troop. 4 year old Kamoli (who is teh son of two other gorillas at the zoo, Kambara and Oliver), 3 year old Kamina, JJ just turned 2 (Mac's only biological child), and he just adopted 1 year old Zahra from Milwaukee after bother her parents died in a freak e coli outbreak.

I've had a soft spot for them since I was a kid and read about Koko in national geographic. I cried when she passed.

I would love to go to your zoo and see them all. That's wonderful about the little one who was adopted! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jenn8779 said:

I've had a soft spot for them since I was a kid and read about Koko in national geographic. I cried when she passed.

I would love to go to your zoo and see them all. That's wonderful about the little one who was adopted! 

Gorillas fascinate me. They always have. I could (and have) sit with them for hours. If you ever find yourself here, make time for the zoo. Rain or shine, it's worth it.