Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crop failure

spud the mackem

An article posted in MSN state that Global Warming is causing the failure of Barley crops World wide , this will cause the price of Beer to rise steeply ,the average price in the U.K is now £3.20, so how much longer are people going to visit the local pub (bar). 

• Haha 1

Three quid 20p for a pint ? Blimey guv.

You mean this?

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/world/heat-and-drought-could-threaten-world-beer-supply/ar-BBOqLA1?li=AAo1rF5

The original article's abstract is here:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41477-018-0263-1

It'll be a while. (Barley is a "fragile" crop to grow, and this year's heat waves have cut yields in some places, but the world price is still down from a few years ago. Markets will fluctuate.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spud the mackem said:

so how much longer are people going to visit the local pub (bar). 

Compared to the day - I think pub visits have drastically reduced already. Where I live many don't open the full traditional hours and even then, except at weekends, the patrons are few and far between. I am also reading that drinking amongst the younger adult population is also falling. So maybe pubs will go the same way as city centre shops - into oblivion.  

There was a time when that would have concerned me.

We've had four pubs close down within 2 miles of the Roofgarden :( 

• Sad 1

Don't worry, geologists will single-handedly keep the world market for beer flowing.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, spud the mackem said:

An article posted in MSN state that Global Warming is causing the failure of Barley crops World wide , this will cause the price of Beer to rise steeply ,the average price in the U.K is now £3.20, so how much longer are people going to visit the local pub (bar). 

Where can you get a pint that cheap??? Even in Birmingham they can be nudging a fiver. I bought my first £6.50 pint in London the other day. Its enough to make you want to turn to drink, it really is.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 3:54 PM, Emma_Acid said:

Where can you get a pint that cheap??? Even in Birmingham they can be nudging a fiver. I bought my first £6.50 pint in London the other day. Its enough to make you want to turn to drink, it really is.

At Devizes (Wiltshire) Weatherspoons had a special offer on Halloween and were selling any beer at £2.60 , their beer is normally £3.00 but the price is always higher in big Cities, don't ask me why.

On 16/10/2018 at 3:54 PM, Emma_Acid said:

£3.20 isn't cheap. Where I live you can buy pints for £1.50. And that's proper beer. None of that watery, weak, stuff that Southerners drink and pay so much money for.

On 02/11/2018 at 10:32 PM, spud the mackem said:

At Devizes (Wiltshire) Weatherspoons had a special offer on Halloween and were selling any beer at £2.60 , their beer is normally £3.00 but the price is always higher in big Cities, don't ask me why.

I wouldn't go into a Weatherspoons even if their beer was free.

3 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

I wouldn't go into a Weatherspoons even if their beer was free.

All the more beer for us REAL men, then :D 

• Haha 1

Beer £2.30 a pint round here..and I don't understand how milk here is available at £1 for two litres. The breweries don't face a quarter of the problems faced by farmers.The brown stuff is a rip off and always has been.

19 minutes ago, poohbear said:

Beer £2.30 a pint round here..and I don't understand how milk here is available at £1 for two litres. The breweries don't face a quarter of the problems faced by farmers.The brown stuff is a rip off and always has been.

Pretty sure it costs farmers more than that to produce it - and that's before all the intermediaries profits, packaging etc!    Personally I'd be happy to pay £1 a pint - but to be fair only only get through a pint every 8 or 9 days as I only use it (sparingly) in tea

14 hours ago, poohbear said:

You guys are getting ripped off, sort of. Well for one thing beer is much more expensive in a Bar (Pub), than if you just buy it and drink at home. Here in the U.S. I'm paying 76 cents per beer when I buy cheap (but decent) 12 oz beers by the 30 pack. If I go to the local bar they charge $3 for a draft beer (12 oz - 4 oz less than a Pint), so I pay more than you do if I go to the Bar (Pub). That said most people here don't go to Bars (Pubs) they drink at home and watch games and stuff at home and just have friends over. 

Can barley be grown hydroponically? Perhaps we'll see a future world where all beer is brewed locally with barley grown locally?

I once planted a windbreak within sight of Coors' barley facility.  It's a huge warehouse that stores barley that comes in in train-load quantities.  Then each day they send three or four carloads down to Golden to turn into "Rocky Mountain spring water."  Those barley trains rumbled by only yards away.

Since then I switched to Sam Adams and/or Guinness.  Now I know why they call it "Colorado Cool-aid."  In the Denver area there's a micro-brewery at every crossroads.

Around here, a good brew costs $4 to $6 a pint - and that's the low end.

Doug

My Uncle planted one of our fields in Barley three weeks ago and it is growing like crazy! I helped him fill Deer feeders three weeks ago and that field was nothing but weeds. I just helped him fill Deer feeders yesterday and I couldn't believe my eyes! A sea of green healthy Barley!