Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Citizen of Cherokee Nation Slams Warren

Piney

But that wasn't her call, she was called out repeatedly and in a derogatory way by someone who doesn't respect First Nations people, at all. She wouldn't have taken the test otherwise or needed to. It was blown way out of proportion before she was essentially forced to take the test. The one to be mad at it in this scenario is Trump. How many people in their family were told they had Native Americans in their family tree? Its become a ubiquitous story no matter how truthful it was mostly because people didn't have good information. And seeing people who had DNA tests it doesn't always prove positive even when they know for a fact as the DNA registries don't have a large sampling of Native DNA to compare to. Either way her reasoning aren't for tribal affiliation its to prove once and for all her family story was in fact correct and Trump can shut up about it. It's so bizarro any tribe would take to task Warren in this and not Trump. He hung Andrew Jackson's portrait in the White House, he has said terribly derogatory words about NA people's. She isn't the bad one in this scenario.

Edited by darkmoonlady
  • Like 4

Ok he went to numerous rallies calling her Pocahontas to jeers from his followers, and yet in the end she is somehow wrong in this...?

8 minutes ago, darkmoonlady said:

Ok he went to numerous rallies calling her Pocahontas to jeers from his followers, and yet in the end she is somehow wrong in this...?

Being Indian is about being raised in a tribe and tradition. Not a friggin DNA test

i call her "Pocahontas". She LIED about being raised in a "tradition". 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Both sides can be equally wrong.

How so?

The CNO ( Cherokee of Oklahoma) have all her documented fraudulant claims of being tribal and traditional.

• Like 2

And before all you libs claim "put up job".

I KNOW BECKY!!!

https://mobile.twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1051958376052211713

But DNA & family history has nothing to do with tribal affiliation or citizenship, which is determined only – only – by Tribal Nations. I respect the distinction, & don't list myself as Native in the Senate.

I'm just glad I'm not under scrutiny for the "traditional Italian" practices my mother pushed on me growing up that she combined from a magazine and an old maybe Italian neighbor she had as a kid. Still swears she's Italian. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Piney said:

Being Indian is about being raised in a tribe and tradition. Not a friggin DNA test

i call her "Pocahontas". She LIED about being raised in a "tradition". 

Where? I mean as far as I can tell all she ever said was that she had Native American heritage, around 8 generations ago. And she has just been proved correct. She's never said she was Native American. Never said she could join a tribe. Nothing at all like that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1051956431526744065

Bottom line: My heritage played no role in my hiring – ever. The @BostonGlobe reviewed all the evidence. Their verdict? "At every step of her remarkable rise in the legal profession, the people responsible for hiring her saw her as a white woman."

I won't sit quietly for @realDonaldTrump's racism, so I took a test. But DNA & family history has nothing to do with tribal affiliation or citizenship, which is determined only – only – by Tribal Nations. I respect the distinction, & don't list myself as Native in the Senate.

So what exactly is the problem?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, darkmoonlady said:

That's why she earned it as being phony.  Our family lore states we are related to Genghis Khan.  The Eastern European family name has "Khan" as a root. We have a trace from India, but that doesn't make us Mongol.  We also have Almoravid Spain in our line, but that doesn't make us Muslim.  We also are related to British royalty.  And we don't go around inappropriately identifying ourselves as any of those for personal gain.  It is just our heritage.  That is important in its own right but to share with others not, raise ourselves above others.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Where? I mean as far as I can tell all she ever said was that she had Native American heritage, around 8 generations ago. And she has just been proved correct. She's never said she was Native American. Never said she could join a tribe. Nothing at all like that.

https://mobile.twitter.com/elizabethforma/status/1051956431526744065

Bottom line: My heritage played no role in my hiring – ever. The @BostonGlobe reviewed all the evidence. Their verdict? "At every step of her remarkable rise in the legal profession, the people responsible for hiring her saw her as a white woman."

I won't sit quietly for @realDonaldTrump's racism, so I took a test. But DNA & family history has nothing to do with tribal affiliation or citizenship, which is determined only – only – by Tribal Nations. I respect the distinction, & don't list myself as Native in the Senate.

So what exactly is the problem?

She did make the claim back in the 80s and at least didn't correct it into the 90s. The site Piney referenced gives a list of times she's referenced stereotypes instead of actual culture. 

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, ShadowSot said:

She did make the claim back in the 80s and at least didn't correct it into the 90s. The site Piney referenced gives a list of times she's referenced stereotypes instead of actual culture. 

So she was basically a college student who identified as Native American and has long since corrected herself. Oh. The. Scandal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

That's why she earned it as being phony.  Our family lore states we are related to Genghis Khan.  The Eastern European family name has "Khan" as a root. We have a trace from India, but that doesn't make us Mongol.  We also have Almoravid Spain in our line, but that doesn't make us Muslim.  We also are related to British royalty.  And we don't go around inappropriately identifying ourselves as any of those for personal gain.  It is just our heritage.  That is important in its own right but to share with others not, raise ourselves above others.

By way of my grandmother who enrolled me I'm a member of a few American heritage groups being descended from members of the Continental Army and Southern and Union soldiers during the Civil War. 

Personally being a general history fan I think it's neat, but the lack of records makes it difficult to pursue. My father has traced our history back to the origin of the family name and has the family crest and a few other items about his office at work. 

Genetically speaking I don't think we're close enough due to the past few years to have any genetic kinship beyond the mundane, but my dad really loves it. 

I know only the broadstrokes except for one particular fellow born in the late 1800s who was a crazy dude who managed to make it to the 30s. Hard drinker who stole a boat to get out of Panama and lived in Florida since, well. It was Florida and nobody cared. 

Reportedly set a lot of fires on his way out. 

Personally my interest starts with the history starting around 1066, and the mix of genetics that pushes it back. I don't really care about the English history, but the genes going back to the middle east at the times of Ancient Egypt were really cool. 

And for awhile around my early twenties, I thought it was really cool that we had some native ancestry. And I'm really glad I don't have any reason to fear of tapes or Facebook posts coming out from that time. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

So she was basically a college student who identified as Native American and has long since corrected herself. Oh. The. Scandal. 

She's 69 now, would have been... 36 or so in 84, 46 in 95. About a ten year span before dropping it. As far I can tell, while she dropped it to simply being ancestry. Don't know how much of that might be covering herself over that. 

I don't mind so much someone being prideful in their ancestry, even if it's at a distance or a single member. I've got that in my tree too. Still she's been stupid about it. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

She "self identified" as a "person of color" and "Native" at Harvard. She even submitted "family recipes" ripped right from a book called 'Powwow Chow'

Of course Harvard made everything "go away".  I also noticed the article in ICT I was about to link also "went away". 

18 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Oh, a Liberal approves of cultural theft? I'm ****ing shocked!

no I'm not.....

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

She "self identified" as a "person of color" and "Native" at Harvard. She even submitted "family recipes" ripped right from a book called 'Powwow Chow'

Of course Harvard made everything "go away".  I also noticed the article in ICT I was about to link also "went away". 

Correction the book she submitted to was called Pow Wow Chow. 

She didn't rip from them.

I know there's she's listed as Cherokee, but given even at the time she was trying to claim ancestry of and thought that that counted as Native American, I'd be willing to bet it's the same reason my mom has a recipe in a book credited to her and listing her as Russian when she was claiming Italian and stated the recipe was an adaption of a Russian recipe. 

Apparently she also plagiarized the recipes with a few minor tweaks. Nothing my mother would ever do, of course. 

Though she did boil chicken in soy saunlce and called it Chinese chicken. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Piney said:

Bingo. If she hadn't leveraged her strong Native American background when it suited her, we would be cracking jokes and moving on. Warren wanted to play identity politics and now shes getting rightfully roasted for it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Bingo. If she hadn't leveraged her strong Native American background when it suited her, we would be cracking jokes and moving on. Warren wanted to play identity politics and now shes getting rightfully roasted for it.

Those proverbial chickens are beginning to come to roost for the 'Left'.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Um, I looked into Native American scholarships when I went to college, my Uncle actually did because he qualified with enough documentation. Since I was disabled I didn't need them, but many people do. 

I hope the heat that Warren gets for this stops this game in its tracks or we will see Hillary coming back waving test results to prove her black ancestry. This cant become a trend.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RavenHawk said:

Those proverbial chickens are beginning to come to roost for the 'Left'.

Actually they aren't since her test came back showing she was correct and has ancestry, just like she said. 

2 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

I hope the heat that Warren gets for this stops this game in its tracks or we will see Hillary coming back waving test results to prove her black ancestry. This cant become a trend.

Gee whose party practically ran on Obama not being a citizen and playing the birther conspiracy game ad nauseam. If you don't care for how things are don't blame it on liberals.

Edited by darkmoonlady

15 minutes ago, Dark_Grey said:

Far as I can tell, she dropped it in the 90s and wasn't using it, only coming up again around 2012. Might be wrong, this is another stupid thing that'll go nowhere only to pop backup again soon, I'm sure. 

I'd see the poi t if she was, but currently it's readi g as hey, remember when you said this 30 years ago?