Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scotland's oldies died in droves last winter

Eldorado

The number of people who died in Scotland last winter hit an 18 year high, new statistics have revealed.

There were 23,137 deaths between December 2017 and March 2018, according to the National Records of Scotland - the highest figure since 1999/2000.

It also revealed that the seasonal increase in mortality - the number of "additional" deaths in winter - was significantly higher than in 2016/17.

The main underlying causes of the deaths were influenza and pneumonia.

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45876204

:(

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 1

It was a rough flu season last year, so many deaths. I think many elderly deaths here fell under headings that didn't always catch flu related and marked old age, Scotland probably took better records. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Eldorado said:

The number of people who died in Scotland last winter hit an 18 year high, new statistics have revealed.

There were 23,137 deaths between December 2017 and March 2018, according to the National Records of Scotland - the highest figure since 1999/2000.

It also revealed that the seasonal increase in mortality - the number of "additional" deaths in winter - was significantly higher than in 2016/17.

The main underlying causes of the deaths were influenza and pneumonia.

Full report: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-45876204

:(

The baby boomer generation is reaching retirement age.

I would imagine the weather did not help. UK did have a colder winter than is typical although Scotland is more used to snow and ice. I have relatives living in the Borders and they had drifts of over 2.5 M at one point.