Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Marijuana is legal in Canada

The Caspian Hare

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadians-usher-in-cannabis-legaization-with-pot-parties-protests-and-puffs-1.4136495

Newfoundlanders will be the first to purchase legal weed when its retailers open their doors at midnight, while Torontonians are being courted by New Year's Eve-style "bud drop" countdowns just before legalization.

There's cannabis-fuelled comedy planned in Calgary, a puff-and-pour painting class in Vancouver, and several protests against usage restrictions by those who consider legalization akin to "prohibition 2.0." They include one demonstration in front of the B.C. legislature in Victoria that promises to give away free joints.

Various licensed producers and larger suppliers have their own brand-related events, while other outlets are touting classes on growing, cooking, rolling and smoking weed. Then there are the countless "first smoke" parties set to unfurl in city parks where it's permitted, and a hazy day is expected at the national parks and Parks Canada campsites that are also allowing cannabis use.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I wish we could get our feds on board with ending prohibition nationwide.. :hmm: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Canada Will Reportedly Offer Pardons To Everyone Convicted Of Simple Marijuana Possession
Canada is planning to announce a pathway for people convicted of possession of cannabis to get criminal pardons, at the same time that the country is poised to become the largest in the world to legalize recreational marijuana. According to multiple media reports in Canada, the country's federal government will hold a press conference in Ottawa Wednesday morning to make the announcement, just hours after recreational pot becomes legal across the country.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mbvd/canada-pardon-marijuana-posession

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Canada Will Reportedly Offer Pardons To Everyone Convicted Of Simple Marijuana Possession
Canada is planning to announce a pathway for people convicted of possession of cannabis to get criminal pardons, at the same time that the country is poised to become the largest in the world to legalize recreational marijuana. According to multiple media reports in Canada, the country's federal government will hold a press conference in Ottawa Wednesday morning to make the announcement, just hours after recreational pot becomes legal across the country.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/mbvd/canada-pardon-marijuana-posession

I had not heard of this. Nice! 

• Like 1

I remember many, many years ago sitting with my friends in "the circle" wondering if this day would come. Someone always brought up the pharmaceutical conspiracy argument and everyone would be convinced that legalization would never happen. Man am I glad to be wrong. FWIW, I still believe this is why cannabis hasn't been federally legalized in the US.

Hank

Edited by Hankenhunter

Future Olympians might have a bit of a problem dealing with a lot of false positives ...

~

Feb 13, 2018 - Whether or not you consider cannabis a performance-enhancing substance, it's still a no-no for Olympic athletes. Being caught can mean ...

~
Whether or not cannabis consumption should qualify as doping remains a controversial issue in the world of sports. For now, it's one of the many substances ...

6 hours ago, Grandpa Greenman said:

I wish we could get our feds on board with ending prohibition nationwide.. :hmm: 

The U.S. government only cares about keeping HEMP FARMING ILLEGAL because that will ruin the corporate medicine, power and fuel conglomerates.

Good article here:

https://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/ciencia_industryhealthiermedica112.htm

Think about it; cigarettes and alcohol cause diseases and deaths right and left, but nobody overdoses on pot, so what is so bad about it? Hemp!

Hemp is what is so "bad" about marijuana, and the United States government does not want or need the competition. If they legalize pot, they legalize the growing of hemp, it's that simple (see "Danish Wind Turbine Company That Received Over $50 Million In Stimulus Lays Off 800 Workers".)

If you don't know about it already, no plant on earth, not even soy, has ever spawned as many different products (and as much controversy) as hemp.

You can buy hemp clothing, hemp paper, hemp milk, hemp oil, the list goes on. One Canadian company actually built an electric car out of hemp.

Hemp is "taxonomically identical" to marijuana, as both are classified as Cannabis Sativa L, and the only true difference between them is the concentration of THC, or delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol, the psychoactive substance in pot, of which marijuana usually contains at least three percent.

Edited by Truthseeker007
  • Like 2

Although weed is legal, it's not without rules. Not all types of cannabis goodies are legal to sell, and it was up to each province and territory to decide exactly where weed can be bought, where it can be consumed, and how much can be carried. And despite Canada legalizing it, you're still not going to want to have it on you at the border. Here's everything you need to know.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/laurenstrapagiel/where-buy-weed-pot-legal-canada

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Although weed is legal, it's been set up in Canada to be a Government cash grab.

From the first whispers of legalization, it was obvious the whole framework was designed to push out local growers and shops and leave the whole market to be divided up between a few "Government approved" companies. I would be surprised if said companies did not have ties to the Liberal politicians currently in Office. What does a Government run weed market entail? The same BS as all other Government programs: layers of bureaucracy, inflated costs, too many middle managers. I don't expect the black market for weed to disappear any time soon and neither does any other pot head up here. Unless the Gov grows some serious space weed and manages to get it on store shelves for less than $10/gram (lol), street dealers aren't going anywhere. 

Still, it will be nice to burn one on the front porch and not feel like a criminal for a change.

• Like 1

but it is not true legalization, it is decriminalization, there are still restrictions

Adults may possess up to 30 grams of legally purchased cannabis. Households will also be allowed to grow up to four cannabis plants, except in Quebec and Manitoba, where this will be prohibited.

The federal government set the minimum legal age for consumption at 18, but most provinces and territories have raised it to 19, except Quebec and Alberta. In Quebec, a newly-elected government has promised to hike it to 21.

100% of Canada’s Halloween candy suddenly eaten today

OTTAWA – For reasons as yet unknown, the nation has abruptly consumed every last piece of Halloween candy, almost two weeks before trick-or-treating is set to commence, succumbing to an acute, insatiable craving to munch on sweet treats.

Sources report the nation was collectively seen purchasing all the sugary, bit sized confections available at local supermarkets, corner stores and wholesalers, but did it while speaking softly and slowly, wearing a hoodie, flip flops and dark sunglasses, even though it was the middle of the night..... 

Read more: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/10/100-of-canadas-halloween-candy-suddenly-eaten-today/

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

12 minutes ago, Daughter of the Nine Moons said:

100% of Canada’s Halloween candy suddenly eaten today

OTTAWA – For reasons as yet unknown, the nation has abruptly consumed every last piece of Halloween candy, almost two weeks before trick-or-treating is set to commence, succumbing to an acute, insatiable craving to munch on sweet treats.

Sources report the nation was collectively seen purchasing all the sugary, bit sized confections available at local supermarkets, corner stores and wholesalers, but did it while speaking softly and slowly, wearing a hoodie, flip flops and dark sunglasses, even though it was the middle of the night..... 

Read more: https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/10/100-of-canadas-halloween-candy-suddenly-eaten-today/

Laughing so hard, I'm crying.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

To me it's baffling to why they have  decided to legalize it . Perhaps the answer is that they have lobbied for the legalazation  and that there is too much money involved. ? Why would Coca Cola otherwise start to sell cola with cannabis substance in.  Might as well change the canadian flag into to a mariuana leaf...ha now we swedes will beat you in ice hockey cause you'll be high as a kite :-)

Edited by Avalanche
  • Haha 1

Someone with a smart business acumen should start plastering Shop Fronts with tie die Maple Leaf tank tops and woolies ...

~

I have family friends in Toronto who I haven't seen for a long time.  I'm organising a trip to meet them as we speak...

• Haha 2

When the Hershey factory left my Canadian town of 9,000 people to move to Monterrey, Mexico 10 years ago the town was pretty devastated. I was back there this summer and couldn't believe it. Its now the headquarters for Canopy Growth. Absolutely booming! Best thing to ever happen to the town!!

Go Canada! :tsu:

amBXdv4_460s.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Have just read that Canada is running out of dope. Is the UN working on international aid deliveries already?

• Haha 4

• The title was changed to Marijuana is legal in Canada

For us Swedes it's always hard to meet Canada in Ice hockey now finally we will have a good chance to beat them...since they will be skating around seeing nothing but pink elephants.

On 10/18/2018 at 9:02 AM, Avalanche said:

To me it's baffling to why they have  decided to legalize it . Perhaps the answer is that they have lobbied for the legalazation  and that there is too much money involved. ? Why would Coca Cola otherwise start to sell cola with cannabis substance in.  Might as well change the canadian flag into to a mariuana leaf...ha now we swedes will beat you in ice hockey cause you'll be high as a kite :-)

i think its a good idea. why should organised crime profit. legalise it, tax it and hopefully the glamor surrounding drugs will vanish and people will look for a legal high instead of messing with the other chit. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

i think its a good idea. why should organised crime profit. legalise it, tax it and hopefully the glamor surrounding drugs will vanish and people will look for a legal high instead of messing with the other chit. 

lol, no what Canada did is a half a$$ measure, it will not have any affect on organized crime,   just like it hasn't in california, oregon, and washington.   

for  many, their names being in some kind of gvmnt database, or even on dispensary list will be a deal beaker,  who knows what will those lists be used tomorrow. those people will still use their street dealer that asks no questions.

Edited by aztek

Im not saying that you cant quit being a criminal but the criminals will always be criminals it's their job 

1 hour ago, Captain Risky said:

Im not saying that you cant quit being criminal however criminals will always be criminals it's their job :-)

Edited by Avalanche

3 hours ago, aztek said:

lol, no what Canada did is a half a$$ measure, it will not have any affect on organized crime,   just like it hasn't in california, oregon, and washington.   

As relieved as I am about legalization, Aztek is right. There are a few silly restrictions like plant height limits (how are they going to enforce that?), very few public places you can light up, strict advertising rules for head shops, etc. Its so obvious no one involved with drafting the legislation, from the Liberals to the Health dept., has any experience with Cannabis. The anti-pot propaganda is going strong which is bizarre to see when every one is celebrating legalization. There is so much paranoia regarding minors and weed that is does feel more like decriminalization more so than legalization. It's only been a few days though...give it time for things to settle. Summer 2019 will probably be a lot of fun 

• Like 2