Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

City to replace lights with 'artificial moon'

UM-Bot

Since all of the light would now be coming from one place isn't that actually going to create a lot more shadows?

, it will be around eight times as bright as the actual moon.

What a stupid idea, light pollution is a problem anyway.

The satellite has reportedly been in testing for years and is based on the idea of a French artist "who imagined hanging a necklace made of mirrors above the Earth which could reflect sunshine through the streets of Paris all year round."

The french "artist" should get his artist-butt slapped with a wet towel for at least 30 minutes per day. :yes:

Edited by toast
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, OverSword said:

Since all of the light would now be coming from one place isn't that actually going to create a lot more shadows?

They're prepping for a stereotypical comic-style criminal underworld, complete with dramatic lighting.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Wickian said:

They're prepping for a stereotypical comic-style criminal underworld, complete with dramatic lighting.

You just reminded me of a great hero

MoonKnight1-600x464.jpg?x70969

• Like 1

Curiously our development of music genre's almost exactly mimic human development.

We do have to like it... but we should recognize it.

People who love the simple pleasure of looking up into a starry sky will be disappointed.  I'd be angry if someone did that here.  It isn't fair to remove such a fundamental natural gift from people.

• Like 3

As if the Chinese have not caused enough pollution already, they want to move it further up.

critics have pointed out that an artificial light source in the sky could be problematic, not only for animals and birds in the area but also for astronomers who likely won't appreciate the additional source of light pollution.

I doubt they care about the birds and animals. 

• Like 1

Umm.. surely this wouldn't work ? It relies on reflecting sunshine down onto the "dark" side of the Planet Earth (e.g. night-time). However, the earth is rotating around its axis, and also around the Sun. So the satellite would presumably have to be continuously adjusting its position in order to illuminate the City every night ? It would rapidly run out of manoeuvring fuel ? 

Failing that, it would work like the REAL moon.... visible at night sometimes, but not at others. And sometimes visible during the day ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, smokeycat said:

What happens when it's cloudy?

They turn the street lights on. 

I'd worry about it falling somewhere with China's track record recently.

If this would work the moon would have to be in a stationery orbit over China at all times and high enough to be effective.  I wonder if it could/would affect the tides in that area.

4 minutes ago, paperdyer said:

If this would work the moon would have to be in a stationery orbit over China at all times and high enough to be effective. 

:blink:

I wonder if it could/would affect the tides in that area.

It would effect the whole planet and could lead to the end of this planet.