Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

To some, Maddie was just a junky

OverSword

'To some, Maddie was just a junkie': Obituary gives new take on drug addiction originally appeared on abcnews.go.com

Madelyn Linsenmeir was a mother, sister and friend, who was "hilarious, and warm, and fearless, and resilient." She was also an opioid addict.

Linsenmeir was a drug addict for 12 years and, at what her sister said were some of her darkest points, she would sometimes panhandle for money. She lost custody of her young son because of her disease.

On Oct. 7, the 30-year-old died in the hospital while in police custody, according to her sister, Kate O'Neill.

Link

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I remember Charles 'Sir Charles' Barkley (NBA star) telling a story about him getting out of his car to give some fella a hundred bucks because he was wearing a sign that says ...

~

Spoiler

Ain't gonna lie ... needs money for a drink

~

~

• Like 3

My stepmom was an amazing woman. She was intelligent, warm and had a great sense of humor. She was also a drunk.
I miss her, and I've never defined her by her abuse. She was much much more than that. RIP.

• Like 7

Now when are they gonna start busting the doctors, drug companies and "pain management clinics"

My mother was a junkie. She started with a quaalude and Black Beauty perscription from a script happy doctor.............

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

I'm old, so I remember growing up in the 1950s - early 60s in suburbia when there were no drugs that I ever knew of. What happened?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, StarMountainKid said:

I'm old, so I remember growing up in the 1950s - early 60s in suburbia when there were no drugs that I ever knew of. What happened?

Medical science advanced to create more medicines with addictive qualities, as well as alcohol and drug culture becoming more normalized over time. I'm 28, and I don't remember a time where everyone around me wasn't doing drugs constantly. I don't do drugs or even drink alcohol, ever, but I'm a three-headed unicorn here on the west coast of BC.

• Thanks 2

On 10/18/2018 at 8:17 PM, StarMountainKid said:

Sure there were but you were a kid so you weren’t too aware. Diet pills that were basically meth amphetamines and speed were common as were tranquilizers and sleeping pills. Booze of course is always a popular addiction and tobacco is intoxicating and highly addictive. The difference is that all those I listed were legal and therefore not considered immoral.

• Like 1