Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who was the real Granny Smith?

Still Waters

About 90,000 people are expected to celebrate the 150th anniversary of the Granny Smith apple in Australia this weekend. But who was the English emigrant who gave her name to the famous fruit?

In the 1860s, in the farming community of Eastwood, 10 miles or so north of Sydney, an unusual apple tree could be seen growing along the banks of a creek.

Its fruit was notable for its large size, light-green skin and suitability for both cooking and eating raw. The tree grew so abundant that its branches were later claimed to have been propped up to stop them breaking.

How it originated is not known for certain. But according to legend, the tree grew from the discarded core of a crab apple thrown out of the kitchen window by a farmer's wife - one Maria Ann Smith.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-45434973

• Like 6

Really quite interesting. Too bad fruit can't be patented, as they would have made a fortune off me alone. Granny Smiths are my favourite.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Really quite interesting. Too bad fruit can't be patented, as they would have made a fortune off me alone. Granny Smiths are my favourite.

They are now.

Monsanto was planting corn next to smallholders then when it hybridizes. They sue them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

i like pink ladies myself. 

PinkLady-single-nosticker.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Them boys loves those Pink Ladies too ...

~

[00.03:00]

~

• Haha 1