Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
sci-nerd

Surprising / Fun Facts

116 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

sci-nerd

This is a thread dedicated to facts that most people didn't know. They are surprising and fun, because when you learn them, you need to think different. And that is one of the goals of science. To educate and make you reconsider what you though was real. Let the fun begin!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll lead with a thing that everybody has. The cellphone!

Fun fact about your phone:

When you charge your phone, you don't add electricity to it. The electricity is already in your battery. You just force the electrons back to their origin.
So, the energy you provide by charging is used to push electrons in your battery back to their former space.

Instead of charge, we could use the words "energy push" to describe what's really happening.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd

In the night sky, stars are not where you think they are, or what you think they are.

Some of them are galaxies. And they are all someplace else right now. What you see is what it looked like millions or billions of year ago.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan

There is a species of spider like 'thing' that live on your eye lashes.

  • Like 4
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

It's hard to think of any on the spot, but I'm sure I will remember some later.

I like the concept of the thread though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's hard to think of any on the spot, but I'm sure I will remember some later.

I like the concept of the thread though.

Green apples are actually every colour expect Green.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

This is a thread dedicated to facts that most people didn't know. They are surprising and fun, because when you learn them, you need to think different. And that is one of the goals of science. To educate and make you reconsider what you though was real. Let the fun begin!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll lead with a thing that everybody has. The cellphone!

Fun fact about your phone:

When you charge your phone, you don't add electricity to it. The electricity is already in your battery. You just force the electrons back to their origin.
So, the energy you provide by charging is used to push electrons in your battery back to their former space.

Instead of charge, we could use the words "energy push" to describe what's really happening.

I assume for this to be relevant to this section, it's only facts relationing to science or technology?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Carnoferox

There were cursorial crocodilians with hooves.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rashore

Honeybees don’t care much for tomato blossoms, but bumbles and other bees love them.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
4 hours ago, danydandan said:

There is a species of spider like 'thing' that live on your eye lashes.

And a mite that lives in nasal hair. Poor things listening to snoring, must be hell.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then

The State of Alaska is the farthest east AND west in the U.S. It also has the only capital city that is inaccessible by roads.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan

Albert Einsteins wife carried out most of his mathematics, she also checked and corrected the multitude of mistakes.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Habitat
2 hours ago, and then said:

The State of Alaska is the farthest east AND west in the U.S. It also has the only capital city that is inaccessible by roads.

Is that right ? Imagine the bets you could win down the pub with that one ( the East-West ). I am flabbergasted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imaginarynumber1

Octopus have a copper-based blood, rather than iron-based and is blue thanks to the protein hemocyanin.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
third_eye

Speaking of blood ...
 

Quote

 

~

Horseshoe crabs use hemocyanin to carry oxygen through their blood. Because of the copper present in hemocyanin, their blood is blue. ... Amebocytes from the blood of L. polyphemus are used to make Limulus amebocyte lysate (LAL), which is used for the detection of bacterial endotoxins in medical applications.

 

~

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd

Cold sores are not as innocent as they seem. They are actually caused by the Herpes virus, and you will never get rid of it!

Edited by sci-nerd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Susanc241
36 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Cold sores are not as innocent as they seem. They are actually caused by the Herpes virus, and you will never get rid of it!

Tell me about it!  Also you keep chicken pox virus in your body for ever as well (that’s if you have had chicken pox).  When it is activated again you get shingles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan

A typical washing machine from the 70s had more physical memory than Apollo 11.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozymandias

Humans all live at the bottom of an ocean of air.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
15 hours ago, danydandan said:

I assume for this to be relevant to this section, it's only facts relationing to science or technology?

I'd assume that 90% of all fun/surprising facts are science/tech related. But facts from the remaining 10% are also welcome ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kittens Are Jerks
12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I'd assume that 90% of all fun/surprising facts are science/tech related. But facts from the remaining 10% are also welcome ;)

That's great, because I really wanted to post this one:

Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt once sneaked out of a White House event, commandeered an airplane, and went on a joyride to Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan

The famous quote by Newton, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." Was actually a thinly veiled insulted directed at Robert Hooke. Whom he hated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Imaginarynumber1
30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I thought I got genital herpes recently through "high risk behavior".

Turns out that my female companion was...uhh... just a little too vigorous in her handiwork. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I thought I got genital herpes recently through "high risk behavior".

Turns out that my female companion was...uhh... just a little too vigorous in her handiwork. 

Holy crap! She pulled off you Micky?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.