Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surprising / Fun Facts

zep73

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

The picture you posted doesn't display!

Displayed Ok here. and when you quoted it, again ? Weird. try this:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marshallshepherd/2018/06/28/why-hurricanes-almost-never-form-near-or-cross-the-equator/#39a138e1f837

1 minute ago, Habitat said:

I'm using Duckduckgo Android browser. So maybe it's something to do with that.

38 minutes ago, Stiff said:

That needn't matter...

skeleton3.jpg

What are those things on my feet? I would break my bones trying to walk along the pontoon with them on. 

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I'm using Duckduckgo Android browser. So maybe it's something to do with that.

No idea, but the map shows that east Asia is the main area for tropical storms, Typhoons as they call them there.

• Thanks 1

On 21/10/2018 at 4:13 PM, Susanc241 said:

Tell me about it!  Also you keep chicken pox virus in your body for ever as well (that’s if you have had chicken pox).  When it is activated again you get shingles.

I've had all 3. There is nothing fun about this fact.

Here is something no one knows about, expect a few people doing experiments on relating to it 

There is a new theory called 'Twisted' fibre optics which if can be established will make internet speeds up to 100 times faster than now. Also integration with optical 3d receivers will bridge the gap between fibre optical cabling and stranded copper cabling. No more lag.

I don't know if this is fun, but it's surprising. 

I just read that there is a scientific peer reviewed paper called 'The Bl*wJ*b Papers'. Where the people involved processed 200 hours if oral sex videos, so they could better teach an AI to give Bl*wJ*bs. 

Very efficient use of time eh!

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I don't know if this is fun, but it's surprising. 

I just read that there is a scientific peer reviewed paper called 'The Bl*wJ*b Papers'. Where the people involved processed 200 hours if oral sex videos, so they could better teach an AI to give Bl*wJ*bs. 

Very efficient use of time eh!

Yeah, I bet that job sucks.

• Haha 2

During the English Civil War, Sir Arthur Aston, a Royalist in command at Drogheda, met with a particularly gruesome fate. When the town was captured on the 11th September 1649, Parliamentary forces beat him to death with his own wooden leg.

24 minutes ago, Black Monk said:

During the English Civil War, Sir Arthur Aston, a Royalist in command at Drogheda, met with a particularly gruesome fate. When the town was captured on the 11th September 1649, Parliamentary forces beat him to death with his own wooden leg.

Because they thought he had gold in it.  And it wasn't the English Civil War. It was Cornwell's attempt to kill every Irish and Catholic person he could.

Edited by danydandan

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Because they thought he had gold in it.  And it wasn't the English Civil War. It was Cornwell's attempt to kill every Irish and Catholic person he could.

It was during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, of which the English Civil War was part.

As for the Cromwellian Invasion of Ireland, the Irish deserved everything they got. It was the great man's revenge on the Irish for the massacre of English Protestants in Ireland in 1641 and the fact that Irish towns like Waterford and Wexford acted as bases for privateers to attack English shipping.

1 minute ago, Black Monk said:

It was during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms, of which the English Civil War was part.

As for the Cromwellian Invasion of Ireland, the Irish deserved everything they got. It was the great man's revenge on the Irish for the massacre of English Protestants in Ireland in 1641 and the fact that Irish towns like Waterford and Wexford acted as bases for privateers to attack English shipping.

Welcome back!

To get back on topic, 

Grand Central Station exposes people to more radiation than most if not all nuclear power stations. Due to the high volume of granite used during it's construction.

• 4 weeks later...

Light cigarettes does not contain less tar or nicotine (unless they're advertised as such). Instead there are small holes by the filter that mixes the smoke with air.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2018 at 10:38 AM, danydandan said:

A typical washing machine from the 70s had more physical memory than Apollo 11.

What, you mean all those pins in the timer? That's considered memory? I suppose it could be...

A comet’s ion tail always points away from the sun, whether its travelling toward or away from the sun.  I find that a bit counter intuitive cause I always imagined the tail being behind the comet, but thats not always the case....caused by the solar wind..

1 hour ago, jules99 said:

A comet’s ion tail always points away from the sun, whether its travelling toward or away from the sun.  I find that a bit counter intuitive cause I always imagined the tail being behind the comet, but thats not always the case....caused by the solar wind..

That makes sense actually. Isn't really counter intuitive.

25% of mugs contain fecal matter. 

So in other words if your going to Starbucks get a paper cup.

• Like 1

This is counter-intuitive:-

Friction between two moving surfaces in contact is independent of their area. In other words, it doesn't matter what the area of contact is, the frictional resistance is the same.

For example, if you have a box of mass 25kg measuring 1m x 2m x 3m and you want to shove it across the floor, it doesn't matter which side of the box is in contact with the floor, the force needed to push it and overcome friction will be the same.

People often fail to grasp the difference between a million and a billing.

So this interesting and its a fact so it fits the parameters.

If you convert it into time. Or seconds in particular.

One million seconds is about 11 days.

One billion seconds is about 35 years.

And one trillion seconds is about 35,000 years. 

Disclosure, figures aren't exact.

When he was 6 years old, Theodore Roosevelt leaned out of his New York City apartment window and watched President Lincoln's funeral procession go by on the street below. 

• Like 1

Radio is considered old fashioned, and very few listen to it these days. But we all use it every day.

Both you cellphone and your WiFi uses simple radio transmissions to operate.

For that very reason, it seems extra silly, that some people fear "radiation" from those devices.

Another maths based one I've been doing in my head. A deck of cards. What are the odds that each time you shuffle a deck of cards, assuming it's truly random, that shuffle is completely unique?

It's close yo 100%. It's actually like 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.......99999%. That's crazy. Isn't it.

The actual number of ways you can arrange 52 cards is 8*10^67. That's eight with 67 zeros. 

To put that in perspective, if you started 14billion years ago and did a shuffle every second you'd only have done 8*10^18 shuffles. That's about 25% of the way to  statistically being certain you'd repeat a shuffle. Just once.

Or if you look at it this way, cards were invented in China in around 600ad. So if we take it from there and we used the current population of 7billion and we had 7 billion people shuffling every second, that gives us about 300 trillion million permutations. That's 300*10^48. Nowhere near the 8*10^67.

So excited you shuffle a deck of cards it's save to say that you 100% have a unique permutation.

• Like 1

Well, in terms of your 52! combinations and ensuring you get another completely unique rearrangement of the deck, you don't need to shuffle it at all. All you need to do is to pick out ONE card and reinsert into the deck somewhere else.

But the chances that any two decks shuffled anywhere in the world will end up with the exact same order of cards is one in 8*10^67 (or 1 in 52!), i.e. it's virtually zero!

• Thanks 1

Contrary to popular opinion, Edison did not invent the first light bulb, nor did he invent the first practical light bulb. Seventy years earlier a dude called Humphrey Davy demonstrated an electric lamp to the Royal Society. He was also beating to the practical light bulb by Joseph Swan. Who won a patent infringement case against Edison.