Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surprising / Fun Facts

zep73

This is a thread dedicated to facts that most people didn't know. They are surprising and fun, because when you learn them, you need to think different. And that is one of the goals of science. To educate and make you reconsider what you though was real. Let the fun begin!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll lead with a thing that everybody has. The cellphone!

Fun fact about your phone:

When you charge your phone, you don't add electricity to it. The electricity is already in your battery. You just force the electrons back to their origin.
So, the energy you provide by charging is used to push electrons in your battery back to their former space.

Instead of charge, we could use the words "energy push" to describe what's really happening.

• Like 6

In the night sky, stars are not where you think they are, or what you think they are.

Some of them are galaxies. And they are all someplace else right now. What you see is what it looked like millions or billions of year ago.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 3

There is a species of spider like 'thing' that live on your eye lashes.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

It's hard to think of any on the spot, but I'm sure I will remember some later.

I like the concept of the thread though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

It's hard to think of any on the spot, but I'm sure I will remember some later.

I like the concept of the thread though.

Green apples are actually every colour expect Green.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

This is a thread dedicated to facts that most people didn't know. They are surprising and fun, because when you learn them, you need to think different. And that is one of the goals of science. To educate and make you reconsider what you though was real. Let the fun begin!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll lead with a thing that everybody has. The cellphone!

Fun fact about your phone:

When you charge your phone, you don't add electricity to it. The electricity is already in your battery. You just force the electrons back to their origin.
So, the energy you provide by charging is used to push electrons in your battery back to their former space.

Instead of charge, we could use the words "energy push" to describe what's really happening.

I assume for this to be relevant to this section, it's only facts relationing to science or technology?

4 hours ago, danydandan said:

There is a species of spider like 'thing' that live on your eye lashes.

And a mite that lives in nasal hair. Poor things listening to snoring, must be hell.

• Haha 2

The State of Alaska is the farthest east AND west in the U.S. It also has the only capital city that is inaccessible by roads.

• Like 2

Albert Einsteins wife carried out most of his mathematics, she also checked and corrected the multitude of mistakes.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

The State of Alaska is the farthest east AND west in the U.S. It also has the only capital city that is inaccessible by roads.

Is that right ? Imagine the bets you could win down the pub with that one ( the East-West ). I am flabbergasted.

Octopus have a copper-based blood, rather than iron-based and is blue thanks to the protein hemocyanin.

• Like 3

Speaking of blood ...

~

Horseshoe crabs use hemocyanin to carry oxygen through their blood. Because of the copper present in hemocyanin, their blood is blue. ... Amebocytes from the blood of L. polyphemus are used to make Limulus amebocyte lysate (LAL), which is used for the detection of bacterial endotoxins in medical applications.

~

• Like 2

Cold sores are not as innocent as they seem. They are actually caused by the Herpes virus, and you will never get rid of it!

Edited by sci-nerd

36 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Cold sores are not as innocent as they seem. They are actually caused by the Herpes virus, and you will never get rid of it!

Tell me about it!  Also you keep chicken pox virus in your body for ever as well (that’s if you have had chicken pox).  When it is activated again you get shingles.

A typical washing machine from the 70s had more physical memory than Apollo 11.

Humans all live at the bottom of an ocean of air.

15 hours ago, danydandan said:

I assume for this to be relevant to this section, it's only facts relationing to science or technology?

I'd assume that 90% of all fun/surprising facts are science/tech related. But facts from the remaining 10% are also welcome ;)

12 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I'd assume that 90% of all fun/surprising facts are science/tech related. But facts from the remaining 10% are also welcome ;)

That's great, because I really wanted to post this one:

Amelia Earhart and Eleanor Roosevelt once sneaked out of a White House event, commandeered an airplane, and went on a joyride to Baltimore.

The famous quote by Newton, "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." Was actually a thinly veiled insulted directed at Robert Hooke. Whom he hated.

30 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

I thought I got genital herpes recently through "high risk behavior".

Turns out that my female companion was...uhh... just a little too vigorous in her handiwork. 

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I thought I got genital herpes recently through "high risk behavior".

Turns out that my female companion was...uhh... just a little too vigorous in her handiwork. 

Holy crap! She pulled off you Micky?