Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surprising / Fun Facts

zep73

We all heard about the relativity theory, and how speed can change perception.
Few, however, know that we can actually see it work in an electron magnet (like the ones they use in salvage yards) !

• Like 1

The radio was not invented by Gugliemo Marconi it was the eccentric genious Nikola Tesla who contributed to the development of the radio. Marconi was a skilled business man who founded successful companies however he was the first who successfuly sent a radio message across the atlantic which made him famous.

Edited by Impedancer

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 3:54 AM, sci-nerd said:

Radio waves are harmless

Not quite ! You don't stand near a powerful transmitter, without risking physical harm, but of course I mean very close, as we know, dilution of the strength occurs as the square of the distance from the source.

13 hours ago, Habitat said:

Not quite ! You don't stand near a powerful transmitter, without risking physical harm, but of course I mean very close, as we know, dilution of the strength occurs as the square of the distance from the source.

But not from the non-ionising radiation, there is very mixed results when it come to how hazardous they are. 

The only hazard or risk involved in getting close to an emitter for radiowaves, that radios use, is you might get electrocuted.

I doubt anything would happen if you stood beside a tower for a few months on end.

• Like 1

When you run the numbers, stars are scattered in the neighborhood of the Sun at only about 1/10 their average density throughout our galaxy. We live in the sticks! For all we know, we could even be inside somebody's Galactic National Park!

Edited by bison

The atmospheric pressure on Venus is 92 times higher than on Earth, the main component is carbon dioxide, its clouds are made of sulfuric acid and the mean temperature is 462o centigrade (864o F). Its not a nice place to be !

• 1 month later...

If you got on a solar driven plane, heading west at the equator, in daylight, at 1,040.38 mph,
you'd be static from the sun's perspective, and not experience night at all, for as long as you can keep the speed.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

If you got on a solar driven plane, heading west at the equator, in daylight, at 1,040.38 mph,
you'd be static from the sun's perspective, and not experience night at all, for as long as you can keep the speed.

Wouldn't that also depend on your altitude?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Wouldn't that also depend on your altitude?

Yup, but since the landscape goes up and down, I figured being 6 miles up would equalize it. Sorta :D

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Yup, but since the landscape goes up and down, I figured being 6 miles up would equalize it. Sorta :D

Also the Earth isn't a perfect sphere, so you'd have to go up and down. And speed up or slow down at some places.

Sorry I'm just being a pedantic.

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Also the Earth isn't a perfect sphere, so you'd have to go up and down. And speed up or slow down at some places.

Sorry I'm just being a pedantic.

Hair-splitting is our domain. Us who adores science :tu:

• 2 months later...

The most efficient way to treat a mosquito bite is with hot water. As hot as possible, without burning yourself.
The heat will dissolve the substance that makes it itch.

• Thanks 1

Time is a human construct, sort of!

However its the thing we can measure most accurately.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, danydandan said:

Time is a human construct, sort of!

However its the thing we can measure most accurately.

Unless we are near the event horizon of a black hole. There you can snap your fingers, and a week* has passed for those outside!

*(I couldn't find a black hole time converter, so a week was a rough estimate)

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Big Bang was silent.

The term 'big bang' was made as a mockery of the theory by astronomer Fred Hoyle in a radio show in 1949.

22 hours ago, sci-nerd said:

Unless we are near the event horizon of a black hole. There you can snap your fingers, and a week* has passed for those outside!

*(I couldn't find a black hole time converter, so a week was a rough estimate)

Yeah but your atomic watch / clock would still be extremely repeatable.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The volume of the observable universe is 4 * 10^80 cubic meters, and it contains 10^80 particles with mass.
This means that every single particle could have 4 m3 of space available.

2 hours ago, Timothy said:

Yoda’s first word came after his second word. 

That is true... from a certain point of view. :whistle: