Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Surprising / Fun Facts

zep73

12 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Contrary to popular opinion, Edison did not invent the first light bulb, nor did he invent the first practical light bulb. Seventy years earlier a dude called Humphrey Davy demonstrated an electric lamp to the Royal Society. He was also beating to the practical light bulb by Joseph Swan. Who won a patent infringement case against Edison.

Davy and Swann were, of course, both Englishmen :D 

14 minutes ago, Essan said:

Davy and Swann were, of course, both Englishmen :D 

If you call Cornish people humans then Davy was definitely an English man. Not sure where Swan was from.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎20‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 7:50 AM, danydandan said:

25% of mugs contain fecal matter. 

So in other words if your going to Starbucks get a paper cup.

Scientists have proved that this also applies to your toothbrush, yuk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spud the mackem said:

Scientists have proved that this also applies to your toothbrush, yuk

Sometimes me thinks scientists should do, well more scientific things, like sort out instantaneous transportation or finding a way to travel at 50 times the speed of light like in the sci fi books. Really they are wasted on tooth brushes. 

Edited by RAyMO

The daughter and the son of Dorothy and Tin Man respectively from the cast of the Original Wizard of Oz were married to each to other

~

Jun 19, 2018- Tinman's son & Dorothy's daughter ... 1975...Jack Haley, Jr and Liza Minelli got married! How ironic!

~
Aug 25, 2015 - 1939: American actor Judy Garland as Dorothy Gale, holding Toto the dog for the .... 17 Garland's daughter married the Tin Man's son.

~

Jun 14, 2011 - “Between the false hips and false knees – from here up I am Dorothy's daughter and from here downwards I'm Tin Man's kid,” she laughed.

~

~

So in a way, the one that wanted a heart got the girl after all ...

~

Your body makes club soda from carbohydrates.

Well at least the ingredients of club soda: water and carbonic acid. Aka H2O + CO2 = H2CO3.

Edited by sci-nerd

The common cold's most frequent way of infection you, is not quite how many people think. Namely by inhaling the virus from a sneeze.

No. The most common way to get infected is getting the virus on your fingers, and rubbing your eyes.

So you can avoid getting (most) colds, simply by not touching your eyes!

(The same goes for adults with acne: Stop touching your face!)

Edited by sci-nerd

Someone feels the harmful influence of the phone when he brings it to his ear? Today I talked with my friend, and although after I switched to the speakerphone, I still feel the painful condition of my ear. My friend also became sensitive, he has a lot of wi-fi connections at his home, so when he comes to someone at home, he immediately feels the wi-fi is working or not.

35 minutes ago, Coil said:

Someone feels the harmful influence of the phone when he brings it to his ear? Today I talked with my friend, and although after I switched to the speakerphone, I still feel the painful condition of my ear. My friend also became sensitive, he has a lot of wi-fi connections at his home, so when he comes to someone at home, he immediately feels the wi-fi is working or not.

I assure you, it's a psychological reaction. Radio waves are harmless. And they are everywhere. Not just close to a device.

Edited by sci-nerd

24 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I assure you, it's a psychological reaction. Radio waves are harmless. And they are everywhere. Not just close to a device.

You'd actually find it nearly impossible to find an area with no EMFs. 

• Thanks 1

When water is released in the bath tub or a sink, the water goes down, spinning in a counter clockwise manner in the norther hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. The Coriolis effect. Also, pigs' tails curl in opposite ways in the two hemispheres.

Also, there are approximately 1.0x1023 stars in the universe. 

or,, for Father Tedite:  that's 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars              gotcha lol

11 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

We can never know how many stars there are, we can only estimate how many there are in the observable part of it.

13 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

When water is released in the bath tub or a sink, the water goes down, spinning in a counter clockwise manner in the norther hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. The Coriolis effect. Also, pigs' tails curl in opposite ways in the two hemispheres.

or,, for Father Tedite:  that's 100,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 stars              gotcha lol

Shut up you! Lol.

Flat Earth proponents also forget that the Moon is viewed upside down in the Southern Hemisphere too, one big giant slap in the face to the Flat Earth debate there. Eh!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2018 at 4:58 AM, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

When water is released in the bath tub or a sink, the water goes down, spinning in a counter clockwise manner in the norther hemisphere, and clockwise in the southern hemisphere. The Coriolis effect.

Water rotation in home bathrooms under normal circumstances is not related to the Coriolis effect or to the rotation of the Earth, and no consistent difference in rotation direction between toilet drainage in the Northern and Southern Hemispheres can be observed. This is a popular misconception.

https://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/rotation-earth-toilet-baseball2.htm

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/coriolis-effect/

https://www.ems.psu.edu/~fraser/Bad/BadCoriolis.html

Some links on it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Light and heat is the same thing. The carrier is the photon.

Our bodies actually emit photons, that you can see with a heat vision camera at night. Radiators do the same.

Heat/light only becomes visible when a sufficient amount of photons hit the eyes. A single photon either gets reflected as light, or absorbed as heat. Never both.

Edited by sci-nerd

A day is longer than a year on Venus.

99,86 % of the solar system mass is the Sun. 

The summit of Mount Chimborazo in Ecuador is 2 kilometers further away from the center of the Earth than the summit of Mount Everest.

• Thanks 1

@sci-nerd talking about photons...... It can take a photon 40000 years to reach the centre of the sun to the sun's surface. But it takes 8 minutes travel from the surface to the Earth. That's pretty cool. 

Another crazy thing is there is enough DNA in our bodies that the DNA would stretch to and from the Sun to Pluto like twenty times.

My favorite one is, there is about 10 times as much atoms in a teaspoon of water, as there is teaspoons of water on Earth.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

@sci-nerd talking about photons...... It can take a photon 40000 years to reach the centre of the sun to the sun's surface. But it takes 8 minutes travel from the surface to the Earth. That's pretty cool. 

Whoa....

wait a second bud..not so fast...

Doesn't a photon travel at the speed of light?  

7 minutes ago, joc said:

Whoa....

wait a second bud..not so fast...

Doesn't a photon travel at the speed of light?  

Without going overboard with the explanation.

The Sun is like 800000 km, so a photon emitted from the centre would take about two, three seconds to reach the surface. Now consider the density of matter in the sun. Add to that, that photons can be absorbed by charged particles and re-emitted in any direction. So when the photon is absorbed that charged particle becomes excited into a higher enrgey state. But that irrelevant. 

The relevant thing is that the photon is consistently being re-emitted in any direction. Due to the density of charged particles within the sun. So 40000 is a conservative estimation. There might be a single photon that had never escaped from the Sun. Poor guy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Without going overboard with the explanation.

The Sun is like 800000 km, so a photon emitted from the centre would take about two, three seconds to reach the surface. Now consider the density of matter in the sun. Add to that, that photons can be absorbed by charged particles and re-emitted in any direction. So when the photon is absorbed that charged particle becomes excited into a higher enrgey state. But that irrelevant. 

The relevant thing is that the photon is consistently being re-emitted in any direction. Due to the density of charged particles within the sun. So 40000 is a conservative estimation. There might be a single photon that had never escaped from the Sun. Poor guy.

Awesome! So, the light from the sun we see is at least 40,000 years old?

27 minutes ago, joc said:

Awesome! So, the light from the sun we see is at least 40,000 years old?

Potentially. Could be far older. As old as the sun itself..

I think that's awesome.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Electricity flows through wires at only about 1 percent of the speed of light. If a wire were strung completely around the world, it would take electricity about 13 seconds to make the round trip.  Electrons don't exactly go in one end of a wire, travel through it, and reach the other end, like water through a pipe.

Electrons enter the wire, travel a very short distance, enter a metal atom, and dislodge another electron, which travels on and very soon repeats this process. This goes on until the end of the wire is reached, hence the (relatively) slow progress of electricity.

Edited by bison
  • Like 1

On 03/12/2018 at 3:12 PM, danydandan said:

Contrary to popular opinion, Edison did not invent the first light bulb, nor did he invent the first practical light bulb. Seventy years earlier a dude called Humphrey Davy demonstrated an electric lamp to the Royal Society. He was also beating to the practical light bulb by Joseph Swan. Who won a patent infringement case against Edison.

Edison was a douche, he may have been an ok engineer but basically he was a smart business man who rode on the coat tails of geniuses and ripped of Tesla who was an incredible scientific genius but a naïve business man who died almost penniless

• Thanks 1

On ‎21‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 7:20 AM, sci-nerd said:

Light and heat is the same thing. The carrier is the photon.

Our bodies actually emit photons, that you can see with a heat vision camera at night. Radiators do the same.

Heat/light only becomes visible when a sufficient amount of photons hit the eyes. A single photon either gets reflected as light, or absorbed as heat. Never both.

Really ? that might be the case with radiant heat, but there are other ways that heat is transferred, conduction being prominent.

5 hours ago, Habitat said:

Really ? that might be the case with radiant heat, but there are other ways that heat is transferred, conduction being prominent.

Correct. That is thermodynamics. But there's nothing surprising or fun in that, is there? :)